Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Feck's sake, how long has it been since last Summer?  I've had enough of this filler, let's get back to the real weather.

The Doctor Alt 8

Stuff that!

I demand some surreal weather!

Spikes

Quote from: The Doctor Alt 8 on 26 March, 2014, 03:49:06 PM

I demand some surreal weather!

I thought that was what we had been getting?

von Boom

M.I.K.

So NASA's next top spacesuit is [spoiler]Buzz Lightyeary, Bioshockish, Tronesque, casual wear[/spoiler]?

Smart.

Hawkmumbler

TordelBack

Always check your spigot.

Dandontdare

Did I just have a weird dream, or did I hear on the news that Japanese pensioners are being put into robot suits developed by the Cyberdyne Corporation?

Does nobody watch sci-fi movies? This can only end badly.

judda fett

Quote from: Dandontdare on 26 March, 2014, 11:42:51 PM
Did I just have a weird dream, or did I hear on the news that Japanese pensioners are being put into robot suits developed by the Cyberdyne Corporation?

Don't know about all the that but I just woke from a daydream that Austrian pensioner robots are going to be making a comeback.

TordelBack

Just admiring a massive bubble-chart distribution map (inspired by my graphing hero Hans Rosling) I just completed for a publication, only to realise the circles I've drawn are directly proportional by radius, not area.  Bad data visualisation, bad!  ::)

I, Cosh

Quote from: TordelBack on 28 March, 2014, 11:40:03 AM
Just admiring a massive bubble-chart distribution map (inspired by my graphing hero Hans Rosling) I just completed for a publication, only to realise the circles I've drawn are directly proportional by radius, not area.  Bad data visualisation, bad!  ::)
Can I interest you in a copy of one of my favourite books: The Visual Display of Quantitative Information?

Sounds like fun apart from forgetting to divide by pi! What journal do I need to buy to see it?
We never really die.

Goaty

Facebook buys virtual reality headset start-up for $2bn

TordelBack

Quote from: The Cosh on 28 March, 2014, 01:33:31 PM
Can I interest you in a copy of one of my favourite books: The Visual Display of Quantitative Information?

Sounds like fun apart from forgetting to divide by pi! What journal do I need to buy to see it?

I'd just scaled up the radius as simple multiples of the 'size' of the quantity, rather than the area of the circle (if you get my meaning).  What was fascinating is that by tightening up the range (the smallest circle became twice the size it was, the largest half), the whole impression changed visually, and all sorts of new and interesting (for a very narrow definition of that word) patterns became apparent.  It's an intriguing validation of the method.

Great book Tufte, I have a pile of well-thumbed photocopies but I really will have to get the original...

Hopefully it'll be in Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy for 2015 - it's not my article, I'm just doing the distribution things, and a few plans and sections. I only came on board because the main guy was way behind schedule and looking for more money, but after a steep re-learning curve I'm pleased to report that not only are they cheap and fast but my drawings are best.

So there.  Now if only I could escape from my windowless 'office' for 5 minutes, but there's another job has to be finished by Monday...

von Boom

Quote from: Goaty on 28 March, 2014, 02:02:16 PM

Facebook buys virtual reality headset start-up for $2bn

LIKE!

Spikes

'Once very popular',  :(