Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

[spoiler]Spoonheads[/spoiler] last time, wasn't it?

TordelBack

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 05 June, 2014, 02:01:47 PM

Cardassians?

Link Prime

Quote from: TordelBack on 05 June, 2014, 03:59:39 PM

Cardassians?

Can't let it go Chief, can you?

von Boom

Hawkmumbler

Cardassians?
Keeping up with the Cardassians?

'Don's hat and leaves'

TordelBack

Quote from: Link Prime on 05 June, 2014, 05:37:43 PM

Cardassians?

Can't let it go Chief, can you?

It's not them I hate; I hate what Kanye became because of them.

Theblazeuk

I am pleasantly surprised at how much people accept my reason for not liking football - "Because it's played by millionaires, I can't get enthused about a game played by men earning more money than  I will in a lifetime" - whilst simultaneously, I am slightly depressed by how even the most die hard  supporters nod their head sagely yet persist in their obsession and speculation over how these millionaires will be bought and sold.

I suppose as money is the basis of our society it makes sense that premier league football is the sport of our nation. Perhaps its the same for the states and American Football. (Inspired by a report that 71% of the UK's football club's overall costs are wages and that otherwise 'margins are razor thin' despite generating ridiculous amounts of money).

Dandontdare

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 06 June, 2014, 10:33:47 AM
I am pleasantly surprised at how much people accept my reason for not liking football - "Because it's played by millionaires, I can't get enthused about a game played by men earning more money than  I will in a lifetime" -

the silly money they earn is ridiculous, but it's a bit of a non-sequitur as a reason for not enjoying the game. Do you also not enjoy music by bands like the Rolling Stones or movies by Hollywood stars?

8-Ball

Victoria Coren Mitchell (Only Connect BBC4 Mondays 20:30) - my (now not so) secret celebrity crush.
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Dandontdare on 06 June, 2014, 03:10:20 PM
I am pleasantly surprised at how much people accept my reason for not liking football - "Because it's played by millionaires, I can't get enthused about a game played by men earning more money than  I will in a lifetime" -

the silly money they earn is ridiculous, but it's a bit of a non-sequitur as a reason for not enjoying the game. Do you also not enjoy music by bands like the Rolling Stones or movies by Hollywood stars?

The difference being that bands generally play their music, hollywood stars record a movie (I won't go so far as to say they act but I only enjoy those that do), yet most of the time footballers do not score a goal or win matches. And in terms of loyalty, the average football fan is the equivalent of a fanatical music/actor fanboy/girl.

I don't mean simple enjoyment - I enjoy watching football from time to time. But dedicating a quarter to a half of every newspaper, full football channels, following obsessively, taking up 25% of all conversations in the UK (rising to 50% within pubs).... It was simpler when I supported Man U because I'm from Manchester, but then I asked who was actually from Manchester...

TordelBack

Quote from: 8-Ball on 06 June, 2014, 03:16:01 PM
Victoria Coren Mitchell (Only Connect BBC4 Mondays 20:30) - my (now not so) secret celebrity crush.

Back of the bloody line, sunshine - some of us have been camping out here for years.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 06 June, 2014, 03:28:51 PM

The difference being that bands generally play their music, hollywood stars record a movie (I won't go so far as to say they act but I only enjoy those that do), yet most of the time footballers do not score a goal or win matches. And in terms of loyalty, the average football fan is the equivalent of a fanatical music/actor fanboy/girl.
At the risk of defending overpaid, preening poltroons...
You seem to be suggesting that a footballer's only benchmark is scoring goals. This seems like a child's reasoning. Akin to conflating the feint with the strike or demanding that The Rolling Stones' royalties be apportioned on the basis that Mick only sings a few lines while Charlie hits four times in every bar!

It's the lines you don't draw that make you an artist.
We never really die.

I, Cosh

NB I await a second "taking this too serious" award.
We never really die.

Fungus

Cosh, the post-midnight posts surely don't count. Or I'd be in a secure facility.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: The Cosh on 07 June, 2014, 12:20:19 AM
Quote from: Theblazeuk on 06 June, 2014, 03:28:51 PM

At the risk of defending overpaid, preening poltroons...
You seem to be suggesting that a footballer's only benchmark is scoring goals. This seems like a child's reasoning. Akin to conflating the feint with the strike or demanding that The Rolling Stones' royalties be apportioned on the basis that Mick only sings a few lines while Charlie hits four times in every bar!

It's the lines you don't draw that make you an artist.

I may be simplifying things but by the same token, you just suggested its the goals they don't score that make them professional footballers...

You next up for the England job?