Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

You might imagine that small differences between photographs of the same person can be explained by different angles and lighting, and the malleability of human physiognomy; these guys aren't fooled so easily.

http://www.thebeatlesneverexisted.com

What I find most entertaining about the idea that the four most famous people on the planet were in fact an army of dopplegangers created by shadowy forces for sinister purposes is the insistence that whatever process has been employed is capable of producing duplicates identical to the originals .. except for one eyebrow. Simultaneously, they claim the same process that delivers doubles whose facial features can only be distinguished by reference to minor differences in ear size is incapable of turning out two Pauls of roughly the same height.

I'm fascinated by the sober, regretful, metaphorical shaking of the head that accompanies the frequent statement that their discoveries represent the revelation of some horrifying truth about the fundamental nature of reality. Even if the Fab Four were actually a baker's dozen, I'm not sure what difference that would make, especially when the rationale given for such a programme is nothing more sinister than creating enough Beatles to fulfill their touring and promotional commitments.

Dandontdare

I knew a guy who was a total Beatles fanatic and used to give a fabulously entertaining lecture on the whole "paul is dead" hoax, pointing out all the many clues in photos, covers and lyrics. Many of his audience would be actually convinced by the end, so he always had to explain afterwards that it's not really true.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I've heard a similar conspiracy about J.K.Rowling. Apparently that's not her real name and she is just the front for a sinister cabal of writers who precision engineered the perfect kids story with an aim to create a billion dollar global franchise
You may quote me on that.

Proudhuff

yeah some people don't even believe in Tharg!
DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

Quote from: Proudhuff on 11 October, 2014, 11:00:06 AM
yeah some people don't even believe in Tharg!

Pffft, bloody abetelgeusiests, next they'll be expecting us to believe that Thrills 'evolved' naturally from Look & Learn...

(The glaring anomaly of The Trigan Empire is clearly the result of a conspiracy of vested interests).

Proudhuff

It's like shouting in a matchbox, filled with plasterboard and hope,
Like a picture of Prince William in the arms of John the Pope.
There's a world of good intentions, and pity in their eyes,
The sedated homes of England, are theirs to vandalize.

So you knock the kids about a bit, because they've got your name,
And you knock the kids about a bit, until they feel the same.
And they feel like knocking down the little palaces.

You're the twinkle in your daddy's eye, a name you spray and scribble,
You made the girls all turn their heads, and in turn they made you miserable.
To be the heir apparent, to the kingdom of the invisible.

So you knock the kids about a bit, because they've got your name,
And you knock the kids about a bit, until they feel the same.
And they feel like knocking down the little palaces.

DDT did a job on me

The Legendary Shark

I have no idea what that's from or who wrote it but I like it.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

On the radio, a documentary about the Western. The argument is that the Western is dying - kids today think Indiana Jones is a cowboy.
Cue enthusiastic expert: "Nonsense! Kids know exactly what a cowboy is! Look at Woody from 'Toy Story' - who inspired his own doll! I love to see the kids going around holding their Woodys!"
Snot in my coffee and snotty coffee all down my front.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Anyone ever used the Winsor and Newton Water Markers? Got my mits on some using my staff discount at work and bloody hell they're some nice, thick pens.

Theblazeuk

Just occurred to me whilst doing some research that the prog's Stone Island had a lot of similarities to Invasion: Earth.

Which wasn't a terribly good show on reflection I suppose but had its moments; the distinctive and enigmatic friendly aliens - who all commit suicide after decades of war just to spite their enemy. And lets not forget the creeping horrors from another dimension that are looking to make us the next harvest, the creeping paranoia and body horror of those taken and returned by the enemy - and of course the brutally bleak outlook of a world under attack from within and without, a world where the 'magic bullet' completely fails and the only hope left is a nuclear bomb and a scorched earth policy for the slightest intrusion... which seemed far from certain anyway.

Creeped me out massively as a child

Tombo

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 11 October, 2014, 05:10:04 PM
Cue enthusiastic expert: "Nonsense! Kids know exactly what a cowboy is! Look at Woody from 'Toy Story' - who inspired his own doll! I love to see the kids going around holding their Woodys!"

I bet if you look in Andy's mothers drawer you'd find her toys have the same names as his.

Frank

Quote from: Tombo on 14 October, 2014, 05:34:12 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 11 October, 2014, 05:10:04 PM

I bet if you look in Andy's mothers drawer you'd find her toys have the same names as his.

I can see the appeal of a battery powered Slinky Sausage Dog, but Mr Potato Head sounds like it would be an uncomfortable fit. Jesse The Yodelling Cow Girl is presumably a model aimed at the lesbian market.

von Boom

Spikes

Quote from: Dandontdare on 09 October, 2014, 07:49:38 PM
I knew a guy who was a total Beatles fanatic and used to give a fabulously entertaining lecture on the whole "paul is dead" hoax, pointing out all the many clues in photos, covers and lyrics. Many of his audience would be actually convinced by the end, so he always had to explain afterwards that it's not really true.

I'm not convinced they was even from Liverpool.
Not one of 'em sounds like wot Wayne Rooney does..

Frank

That's a point, isn't it? Even in their earliest appearances, they all spoke with the same Beatles-specific accent. I know Epstein spent some time smoothing off their rough edges - and that Lennon had a middle class background - but even posh Liverpudlians just sound posh, rather than the weird Beatlesburgh tones they adopted.