Main Menu

The weekend thread (again)

Started by richerthanyou, 22 January, 2016, 08:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richerthanyou

I seem to recall that years ago there was a thread where people would say what they were going to do/had done over the weekend. And being the nosey git I am, I thought I'd make a new one.

This weekend I'll be washing the cars and then it's off to town for a mates leaving do. Followed by a day in bed regretting how much I had to drink. Can't wait :D
(  ゚,_ゝ゚)   

The Enigmatic Dr X

Sleeping after an 80-90 hour week, including the sleeper to London and then a couple of days in Aberdeen
Lock up your spoons!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Sleeping after an 80-90 hour week, including the sleeper to London and then a couple of days in Aberdeen
Lock up your spoons!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

DaveGYNWA

Plan for this weekend was to chill out at home with the kids, probably wash the car.

Now flying to Dublin tomorrow morning to see my dad, as he's in hospital following a fall earlier today (he's fine, in terms of effects of the fall - it's the reason for the fall where the concern lies) - flying back on Monday afternoon.
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

Tjm86

Hope everything's okay there Dave.  In our thoughts mate.

Weekend plan A:  Marking, washing, planning, reading this weeks tooth.

Weekend revised plan:  Marking, washing, planning, nursing sick bairns, not reading this week's tooth 'cos it was a nosho!  :'(

Mardroid

All the best Dave. I know how worrying that can be.

I spent today with my dad visiting some family friends. They're more like an uncle and aunt to me really, although we're not related. I knew them growing up and we would visit pretty regularly, although that stopped in later years. (Nobody fell out. The friendship is picked up right where it left off, whenever we meet. Just circumstances. You know how life is.)

It was great seeing them, and their daughter and her family. (She's 8 or 9 years older than me and has aged very well. Actually they all have.) Nice time hanging at their respective homes and wandering around the town in the time in between.

Tomorrow I might meet another friend, if he fills up to it. He came down unwell today/last night. I don't think it's serious, but he did text to a ask for an NHS advice number, which is a bit worrying. (A quick Google later I found '111', the number for stuff that may be serious but not life threatening. He's mainly been feeling  nauseas.) He is a bit of a paranoid type though, and hyper-sensitive in some ways, so it's difficult to tell with him, how difficult a situation is. Not a lot I could do for him, but as he has the number, he can act as he sees fit.

ZenArcade

Just reading this now, hope all's for the best with your da Dave. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

sheridan

Accompanied my girlfriend to a cycle shop so that they could replace the brake cables and pedals and do a general tune-up.  Bought some wind-up daleks and a variety of chilli jams while we were waiting.  Came back home, watched lots of Lord of the Rings.

DaveGYNWA

Cheers lads - back from Dublin now. As I said, no direct side effects of the fall - but unfortunately the reason he fell is because both of feet are badly infected. We've managed to pinpoint it back to a cut he got over 3 years ago which he never got treated properly (he was prescribed a cream to use to keep it clean but chose not to get it because it cost 50 euro a pop)

He's kept the problem hidden from us (mainly my 2 sisters and my brother, seeing as I'm over in the UK) since then - any walking issues he had were due to tight shoes, or a bad back and so on.

Long story short - he's now in hospital awaiting surgery to continue cleaning things up but is likely to end up with something being amputated. Best case - it's a single toe on the left foot. Worst case - he'll lose the left leg below the knee. Right leg is in slightly better shape, but still a possible amputation there.

In slightly better news, I discovered that I'm still more than capable of chucking over 10 pints of Guinness down my throat on a Sunday night...which scared me  :lol:

TordelBack

Glad to hear it wasn't worse, Dave, although still rough. My father had virtually the same problem last year (although in his case diabetes is a factor), and ended up spending weeks in hospital and losing a middle toe and a bit of his foot to osteomylites, all because (despite all our efforts) he refused to properly manage what was originally a minor infection from a cut he got walking on the beach.  He too was given a prognosis of losing a lot more of his leg, but fingers crossed the limited amputation seems to have sorted it. He has his full mobility back and takes care of his feet a lot more seriously now. Hopefully the same will apply to your Dad.

DaveGYNWA

Yeah, the nurses at the hospital said that it's not an unusual thing at all for them to see. Will know more tomorrow as my sisters are meeting the doctors/surgeons in the morning to discuss what will be happening.

And you've just reminded me - he's been diagnosed with Type II Diabetes as a result of this, so it probably was a factor.

Have to say - the care he is getting at the Mater is amazing, as is the new hospital building itself. Can't fault them at all.

SuperSurfer

Hope things have improved for your father, Dave.

Yesterday I was low on energy but decided to meet up with some friends for a drink. Turns out that one guy who I've known for years was an extra in the 95 Judge Dredd movie. He had quite a lot to say about a certain actor who had a very bad reputation for how he would treat people on set.

CalHab

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 31 January, 2016, 11:56:27 PM
Yesterday I was low on energy but decided to meet up with some friends for a drink. Turns out that one guy who I've known for years was an extra in the 95 Judge Dredd movie. He had quite a lot to say about a certain actor who had a very bad reputation for how he would treat people on set.

Yeah, I've heard Max von Sydow can be a primadonna.

SuperSurfer

Quote from: CalHab on 01 February, 2016, 01:54:47 PM
Yeah, I've heard Max von Sydow can be a primadonna.
The other one. He would hi-ex extras off the set for hardly any reason at all.