Main Menu

Mark Miller MBE? Why not Sir Pat Mills, Sir John Wagner - or Sir Alan Moore?

Started by rnmirza, 05 February, 2016, 12:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

From the Daily Wail:

David Bowie, celebrity cook Nigella Lawson and comedy duo Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders were among those who have refused honours, it was claimed.

Bowie declined a CBE in the Queen's birthday honours of 2000 while Lawson, rejected an OBE offered in 2001 for her "services to journalism and to cookery".

French and Saunders turned down OBEs "for services to comedy drama" in the same year. The information, covering more than 40 years, is in secret Whitehall files leaked to The Sunday Times. The reasons for refusing are not recorded.

An inquiry to find the source of the leak was now under way.

Novelist JG Ballard, James Bond leading lady Honor Blackman and jazz musician George Melly have all turned down honours under Blair, but the documents include the names of scores of famous people who have declined honours offered by prime ministers on behalf of the Queen since the Second World War.

Compiled by the Cabinet Office's ceremonial branch, the list of almost 300 names includes author Graham Greene, artist David Hockney, writer John le Carré, poet Robert Graves, author Aldous Huxley and writer and journalist Evelyn Waugh.

Other names on the list include writer J B Priestley, novellist Anthony Powell, children's author Roald Dahl, poet Philip Larkin, as well as actors Trevor Howard and Alastair Sim. LS Lowry, the painter, appears to have turned down more than anyone -- a total of five awards including a knighthood, CBE and OBE.

Actor Albert Finney not only rejected a knighthood in 2000 but the documents show he also turned down a CBE in 1980.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-204471/Top-people-refused-honours-named.html#ixzz3zh6kGIcV

A list to which I can smugly add my partner  :D
DDT did a job on me

GordonR

Quote from: CalHab on 05 February, 2016, 07:48:21 PM
Quote from: GordonR on 05 February, 2016, 04:33:43 PM
(Grant got his first.  Any speculation that Mark got his after furiously lobbying his connections in the Scottish Government for a nomination in order to keep up with his one-time mentor are, of course, completely ridiculous.)

If he has connections, they're probably with Labour, rather than the SNP.

Is that right?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/01/20/when-alex-salmond-geeks-out-with-mark-millar-in-public/

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: GordonR on 09 February, 2016, 05:59:13 PM
(Grant got his first.  Any speculation that Mark got his after furiously lobbying his connections in the Scottish Government for a nomination in order to keep up with his one-time mentor are, of course, completely ridiculous.)

Is that right?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/01/20/when-alex-salmond-geeks-out-with-mark-millar-in-public/
What a lovely picture of two bin bags.

The Legendary Shark

Pfa.
If you're going to give these people honours, give them the only one that actually means something - the utterly zarjaz KTT.
Anything else is simply irrelevant.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

Mind you, The Emperor got a KTT and then promptly disappeared, so maybe that's not such a good idea after all...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Bolt-01

CalHab

Quote from: GordonR on 09 February, 2016, 05:59:13 PM

Is that right?

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/13212469.Writer_Mark_Millar_hits_out_at_Twitter_abuse_after_switching_his_vote_from_SNP_to_Labour/

Currently cheerleading for Labour (today at least):
https://twitter.com/mrmarkmillar/status/689501471008780288

I, Cosh

I always think significantly less of anyone who accepts an honour. I think of them as little yapping dogs overjoyed at getting a pat on the head and a biscuit from their masters.
We never really die.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: The Cosh on 10 February, 2016, 12:49:49 PM
I always think significantly less of anyone who accepts an honour. I think of them as little yapping dogs overjoyed at getting a pat on the head and a biscuit from their masters.
^ This ^
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

sheridan

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 10 February, 2016, 01:03:38 PM
^ This ^
I'd mostly agree with that, unless it's for services to charity, in which case the letters after the name can come in handy in future fund-raising / lobbying.

GordonR

So?

I know Mark had changed back to his original political allegiance, but my point was that, at the time he got his MBE he was a very public SNP supporter and that it would probably have been an SNP-controlled Scottish Government which nominated him for it.  You doubted he had ever been an SNP supporter, despite plentiful evidence to the contrary.

James Dilworth

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 09 February, 2016, 06:15:11 PM
What a lovely picture of two bin bags.

That's the cinema room at Blytheswood Square Hotel. 

No doubt they were watching a double bill of Braveheart and Shrek.

I, Cosh

Quote from: GordonR on 10 February, 2016, 03:15:12 PM
So?
So, I generally disagree when somebody comes up with the idea of trying to nominate someone I like.

I know Mark had changed back to his original political allegiance, but my point was that, at the time he got his MBE he was a very public SNP supporter and that it would probably have been an SNP-controlled Scottish Government which nominated him for it.  You doubted he had ever been an SNP supporter, despite plentiful evidence to the contrary.
You're mixing me up with someone else or there's a second quote missing from your reply.
We never really die.

JayzusB.Christ

So?

Totally off-topic, but I've often wondered if you and he were mates back when you were both starting off in comics.  Nothing to do with politics, it's just that I remember a 'Judge Gordon Rennie' in a very old Millar-penned Anderson text story.  Don't mean to derail the thread; I'm just curious.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"