Main Menu

Comic shops in your area

Started by kev67, 06 September, 2020, 10:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 09 September, 2020, 06:11:21 AM
I hope that's a pub call the Nelson and Batfink. That would be amazing.

The Nelson (if it was that pub) would have been a rock pub and Batfink was a goth night run by a friend of mine.

Colin YNWA

Oh The Nelson - gosh that place has changed its name so many times. Its still a music bar (well was pre lockdown) called The Rocking Chair... and to keep it on topic Forbidden Planet is just around the corner from there. Very much a subsidary comic shop in Sheffield for me. Its okay I guess.

sheridan

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 09 September, 2020, 09:09:16 AM
Oh The Nelson - gosh that place has changed its name so many times. Its still a music bar (well was pre lockdown) called The Rocking Chair... and to keep it on topic Forbidden Planet is just around the corner from there. Very much a subsidary comic shop in Sheffield for me. Its okay I guess.

Yeah - a lot of the comic shops I used to go to appear to have been taken over or replaced by FPs.  The afore-mentioned Ace had FP branding one time I went there but can't remember if it was still there last time I went a couple of years ago.

Meanwhile the decades-long gaps between visits to Fantasy World in Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent mean I don't  know if the Forbidden Planet around the corner from where it used to be is the same shop taken over or entirely different.

robprosser

I go to Chaos City in St Albans. It's a lovely shop with great staff and the added bonus is that former art droid Dave Gibbons is a customer.

rogue69

ACE went in with FPI for awhile but the partnership only lasted a couple years so they reverted back to ACE and are now in a much smaller shop

kev67

I walked past another comic shop in Plymouth this morning. It was in Cornwall Street, I think number 32. It had Marvel, DC, Dark Horse (is it?) comics. Pretty interesting part of the street for me. There was a computer gaming shop a little way down. I don't game, but it's useful for my work to know it's there. A little way up the street was a model shop. Apart from Hobby Craft, I don't know anywhere in Reading that sells Airfix models. I couldn't see any 2000AD in the comic shop, so I bought my copy at WH Smiths at the station, although I was aghast at the price. - 5 quid.

IndigoPrime

That's because it has more pages than usual. Down to £3.10 next week. 

Mardroid

Quote from: AlexF on 07 September, 2020, 06:17:16 PM
Just last week I stumbled into a comic shop I'd never heard of before, in Dartford on the route between the station and the town centre. It's classic old school tiny shop, stuffed to the brim with boxes of comics, toys, trading cards, all that good stuff. Staff were friendlier than some shops I've visited, too.

I've a feeling that Krypton Komics is basically shut except for certain days (maybe Saturdays) or by prior appointment.

Calamity Comics in Harrow, a super formative place for me, still survives, always nice to take a trip there when I'm visiting my parents.

And speaking of places where I completed my run of Back Progs, that would be Sheridan's favoured Mega City comics. A memorable day in 1994 when I saw they had a Prog 2 on the wall and I managed to scrounge up the necessary bundle of notes a week later to make it my own! And in those days I was able to do a Prog Slog of a mere 900 progs, only took a year or so to read it all! I don't think I can imagine doing a full slog these days.

It's that the one at the bottom of the clock tower? Such an interesting setting, and closest to where I live.

I've never been inside, but I pass by it regularly. Being so small pot me off, aas I feel a bit self conspicuous going in, but maybe I should give it a try.

kev67

I asked my local comic shop to order my copies of 2000AD. I want to do my bit to keep the comic shop alive. Annoyingly, with the recent  tier restrictions I was not able to get my copies. Then I got all five issues just before Christmas, but now it looks like the shop will be shut for God knows how long. Even when it was open it was frustrating because only one customer was allowed in at a time. For some reason they only sell the Megazine at WH Smith, which isn't shut because it's a newsagent. Of course I could have ordered straight from the website. I don't think think virus is going to help the comic shops much.

Tjm86

TBH I've had a dual sub for years now.  With the kids and everything else life throws at us getting to a comic shop on owt approaching a regular basis has proven to be a non-starter. 

Not to mention that the quality of comics shops around here isn't great.  We've got a stall on the market but he tends more towards collectables.  Cardiff isn't much better these days either.  FP ... well, less said the better.  Comic Guru's reputation leaves a lot to be desired.  The stall in Jacob's market is probably one of the better options and then of course there is Troutmark which is hit and miss, depending on when he's had another splurge.

To be completely honest though I've pretty much lost it with American comics now.  Possibly part of this is because I've collected all the ones that I really want.  Part of it is there is just so much dross about, at stupid prices and insane frequency.  So most comic shops don't hold much appeal for me.  Especially since so many of them only really carry a very limited stock.

How many of them will survive the pandemic is anyone's guess.  Those with a strong internet presence will probably manage.  It's going to be bloody though!

paddykafka

Sub-City Comics on Dame Street in Dublin. Run by two great lads - Richard and Rob. I've had a standing order with them for 2000AD for some years now and they've never disappointed. Even though they had to close for much of the year due to Covid, they were Johnny-On-The-Spot when it came to getting my back-progs in, once they reopened. Very friendly and highly recommended.

Hawkmumbler

I do occasional shop at the FB in Manchester, it's not bad once you get into the basement space where the actual comics are.

Travelling Man just down the road however is where it's really at, though true they've expanded their board game section recently you gotta chase that growing market I guess, their comics and manga selection is sublime. Staff are all absolute gems too.