Main Menu

Probably going digital

Started by Robin Low, 30 December, 2021, 10:09:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: matty_ae on 30 December, 2021, 11:25:02 AM
The only thing I'd add is you will only receive access to the Prog on the Wednesday retail date (not as early as the Saturday before as we benefitted from as physical subscribers)

I'm still laughing at this as I haven't had a prog for weeks - I've got the local MP looking into how shit our postal service has gotten lately. We get nothing for ages, then two or three weeks of post in a bundle.

It's really getting on my tits, but I still don't think I could make the leap to digital. They'd end up like all my podcast subscriptions, just stacking up. At least with physical progs, they sit there reminding you until you read 'em and shelve 'em.

Funt Solo

I switched to digital when I found myself 8 years behind everyone else and wanted to get caught up. As with others, for reasons of space and cost it was a no-brainer. Being able to almost instantly reach for any prog from the last decade without delving into the Thrill-Box Closet of Doom is a great boon.

I download the PDF versions and use Adobe Reader, with the settings adjusted to double-page everything except the first page (so that the spreads line up correctly).

Display is 1920*1080 on a 31" television/monitor. This allows me to have two pages open side by side at 100% magnification on the PDF, and (most importantly) be able to read the text. Sometimes (more recently) that results in some unfortunate artifacting on the text, and I have to switch to a higher mag, which means more work maneuvering my view around the page.

Edit: oh, and I'm not suffering from any prog-ennui, and I'm sorry that others are. Still really enjoying my progs, albeit in fits and starts due to work commitments.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Dandontdare

Quote from: Dandontdare on 30 December, 2021, 01:44:31 PM
I'm still laughing at this as I haven't had a prog for weeks - I've got the local MP looking into how shit our postal service has gotten lately. We get nothing for ages, then two or three weeks of post in a bundle.

Update - Looks like today was our post day - came home to first delivery since pre-Christmas, 8 items including a couple of Christmas cards and prog 2261, which is annoying since 2260 is still AWOL. *sigh*

Postal services everywhere are deteriorating at an alarming rate, in an era when the world is run by tech giants. Hmmm.

DrJomster

My suggestion re prog ennui is just to take a break for a few weeks. Come back when you're in the mood and blast through a particular thrill prog-by-prog, it works really well.

I've been on double digital for years and am happy with it.

I do think though that I should do a re-read/skim through every so often to remind my aged brain of exactly what I've been reading! Won't apply to any of my fellow readers of course.... ;)
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: DrJomster on 01 January, 2022, 01:15:58 PM
My suggestion re prog ennui is just to take a break for a few weeks. Come back when you're in the mood and blast through a particular thrill prog-by-prog, it works really well.

Think I'll give that a shot myself - might even do some reviews here. I'm trying to rekindle my prog love so that sounds like the way forward.

I'm digital too by the way - I've lived in a very small place for a long time and will probably continue to do so, so I'm very happy with my choice.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Robin Low

And... it's done.

Downloaded as PDF. Reads fine, looks good. Quite nice to be able to read it without having to find my bloody glasses (another irritant of age).

Meg next.

Regards,

Robin

broodblik

Glad you find the transition easy going. Wish we had some "pills" to cure to old glasses problem :)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Magnetica

I'm kinda doing both now, but maintain a double physical subscription.

But it's all going to come to ahead with storage space soon; if I could magically swap all my back Prog for digital, I would. Reluctantly. But it's got to be better than getting rid of them.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Magnetica on 06 January, 2022, 01:10:04 PMBut it's all going to come to ahead with storage space soon
Same. I'm fortunate that my wife is quite happy that our TV room has also turned into a small branch of Forbidden Planet. But she's also been quite firm (and rightly so) that we have finite space for comics. That right now is a generous chunk of shelving in the garage. But if that fills up, that's it and choices will have to be made. (In all honesty, I'm not sure I'd bin the Prog. I'd likely first offload a load of Marvel stuff and then the Megs, but it's 2000 AD that grows most rapidly.)

Trooper McFad

I'd never bought a regular prog and I just caught up through trades until last year when my kids got me a years prog hard copy and the anticipation I had every week was something I didn't expect but enjoyed very much. However my limited shelf space means that I could not repeat this year on year. So with the 50% off I got last year I filled in a huge gap in my trades - all digital and I asked for a double digital sub from Santa.
I have no issues reading of my galaxy tab and I can take this on holiday. So I'd recommend going digital to anyone with limited space.

(I still squeeze in the occasional HC that tickles my fancy)
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Colin YNWA

Yeah I have a very generous allocation of space but YEP its full, so as stuff comes in other stuff needs to go on the to be sold pile. This has not touched 2000ad yet BUT I reckon I've got 2-3 years until the current shelving arrangement needs to be reviewed. Can't see myself getting rid of them then BUT something will have to give.

Digital is such a nice way to continue accumulating freely, I'm starting to get better at only purchasing stuff I really like in physical formats... kinda... though my for sale pile keeps getting bigger mysteriously...

Funt Solo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 06 January, 2022, 01:28:37 PM
But if that fills up, that's it and choices will have to be made.

I've also been considering divorce rather than limit my comic collection. It's a tough call, but...comics, am I right?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Funt Solo on 06 January, 2022, 03:39:21 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 06 January, 2022, 01:28:37 PM
But if that fills up, that's it and choices will have to be made.

I've also been considering divorce rather than limit my comic collection. It's a tough call, but...comics, am I right?

The kids asked me the other day what I would do if the cat (which I love dearly) damaged my comics... it wasn't an easy conversation, but at least they now know putting an animal down is pretty painless...

DrJomster

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 01 January, 2022, 03:51:28 PM
Quote from: DrJomster on 01 January, 2022, 01:15:58 PM

Think I'll give that a shot myself - might even do some reviews here. I'm trying to rekindle my prog love so that sounds like the way forward.

I'm digital too by the way - I've lived in a very small place for a long time and will probably continue to do so, so I'm very happy with my choice.

I'm doing this right now... I'm miles behind but after a fairly large break, I've been catching up with the tail end of last year (from prog 2250 in fact with the McMahon cover) and.... It is just... SO GOOD! Amazing what a bit of a break can do for the old thrill circuits. Particularly loving Diaboliks and The Out. Scarlet Traces has been pretty good too.

A lot of it is State Of Mind. Strange but true. But when you're in the zone, you're definitely in the zone I find...
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

nxylas

I've been digital for a long time, but I don't have a tablet, and it can be kind of hard to read on a laptop sometimes, due to the landscape orientation of the screen. I wish they would introduce something like Amazon's guided view.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!