Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Vector 13 vs. Full Tilt Boogie Round 2 Heat 116

Started by Colin YNWA, 26 April, 2022, 06:21:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Penultimate week, just two weeks to go - which if you consider that we started this Round in January is quite something. Enjoy these dog days of Round 2 as while we have some meaty ties in these last two weeks it's going to be nothing compared to some of the sinkers you will have in Round 3. You'll look back at the easy days and decisions you've had to make in Round 2 with fondness. Just check out Funt Solo's wonderful Round 2 so far thread to get a sense of what Round 3 will be...

Modern thrill launched from the Regened, but which has really become something else entirely with a magnificent main Prog outing or series based off the abortive attempt to oust Tharg that really should have been strangled in the cradle as the X-Files inspired editors were chased out of the Nerve Centre. Alas the series of one-offs carried on for quite some time after... I'm letting bias creep in a bit here aren't I?

Vector 13 - more info

Vs

Full Tilt Boogie - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Friday April 29th and the winner gets a place in Round 3 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN

NapalmKev

Vector 13.

I enjoyed many of the tales and in complete contrast I cannot stand Full Tilt Boogie.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Magnetica

IndigoPrime

Vector 13 felt a bit like a desperate X-Files wannabe. Future Shock and Terror Tales rebranded for no good reason.

Full Tilt Boogie has imagination and heart. The main issue has been how long it's taken to get more of it into the Prog (although the creators have explained that's just down to practicalities and timing issues, not a lack of wanting to do more). So: FTB.

abelardsnazz

rogue69

AlexF

Story by story, I remember Vector 13 being the single most reliable one-off collective. Certainly my early readings days of the Prog 500-800 era saw more terrible/forgettable Future Shocks than good ones, and the V13 style was invigorating, with less need to spend time developing characters compared to showcasing bizarre ideas.

Sure it was copying the X-Files, but the good bits - the bits where they tackled a mixture of conspiracy theories and made up weirdness. I don't know if I could stomach reading a whole collection of them in one go, mind. Am glad to see it's not getting shut out entirely...

...because Full Tilt Boogie is just a super fun adventure story with superlative art, hard to argue against that!

Blue Cactus

I'm sure there were some decent Vector 13s although it's a long time since I read them.

Full Tilt Boogie. Looking forward to more.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Vector 13, always. Aside from a complete SiniDex there is no other 2000AD series that I want to see collected in some form. At this point, I'd take a floppy. Maybe it's because I have a passionate love of short-form weird tales, in whatever medium, as well as a love of The X-Files and those millennium-fear shows that grew up around during it, but V13 took a very tired old format (the FS/ TT) and gave it, temporarily, a shot of adrenaline. Best thing to come out of that period.

Full Tilt Boogie is... okay. Not hugely my thing though.

SBT

Link Prime

I had no idea - no idea - what was going on in Full Tilt Boogie. Unreadable.
Baffled by the positive reaction from some.
But there ya go.

Vector 13 - by the magnitude on a Tunguska-esque explosion.

Funt Solo

I didn't realize that Full Tilt Boogie was so Marmite. I've been enjoying it and looking forward to more. I wasn't much of a fan of the Vector 13 structure, and wasn't sad at its eventual passing. Like the odd idea to replace Tharg, it was thankfully not permanent. Or - I'm with the Soggy Bottom Boys.

Full Tilt Boogie
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

davidbishop