Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Damnation Station vs. Mazeworld Round 3 Heat 9

Started by Colin YNWA, 16 May, 2022, 06:25:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well if Week 1 broke you into what Round 3 could be like Week 2 will show you its extremes with possibly the tie of the Round coming in (though there is one later that possibly tops even this). Eyes will be blinding, hair will be torn out before this week is over...

So we'll start with a tough warm up. Two good mid-tier thrills I'd suggest. Damnation Station is still an unknown quantity having only bested Future Shorts in Round 2 coming head to head with Mazeworld who has only faced Janus. So both will have more to prove as the tourney goes on; but only one will survive this first test.

Damnaton Station - more info

Vs

Mazeworld - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Thursday 19th May and the winner gets a place in Round 4 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN

Huey2

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Magnetica

abelardsnazz

rogue69

Barrington Boots

You're a dark horse, Boots.

AlexF

Look, I'll say that Damnation Station is a VERY clever story that never quite manages to be satisfying, I think mostly because it keeps shifting which character we're following through events.
Mazeworld is trying very hard to be a clever story but doesn't actually, I think, have a satisyfing story to tell.
But, you know, Mazeworld is like 17 kinds of beautiful, and the art provides a big dose of the cleverness that the script is missing. Which is more than enough to win this round - but just to throw it a little bit of love I'm voting Damnation Station - which does, also, have some really spectacular art: horrifically nasty alien design from Simon Davis, beautiful alien landscapes from Book Cook, and some real emotional heft for the ending from Mark Harrison.

Link Prime

NapalmKev

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Funt Solo

Tricky. I didn't like Damnation Station much until the later series - it's a story that took time to find its feet, and wasn't aided by a disjointed art roster. A bit like The Ten-Seconders, in that regard.

Mazeworld is creatively consistent, and has great art (of course) by Ranson. Maybe its that I'd read The Bridge (Banks 1986), but I just found the storytelling dull - despite the lush setting.

I would say Mazeworld's crime is indulgence whereas Damnation Station is a definite tryer. Gotta vote for the definite tryer. Did the same in The Great Mush Rush. Didn't get me anywhere.

Damnation Station
++ A-Z ++  coma ++