Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - Stickleback vs. Brink Rd 5 Heat 3

Started by Colin YNWA, 02 August, 2022, 06:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexF

I can see plenty of the Hoop in the world of Brink, and a hint of Halo in Bridget Kurtis, but I think it's a stretch to say that Brink is merely paying homage to Halo Jones...

...certainly if the opposite suggestion is that Stickleback, a strip based on a pre-existing character and deliberately using generic foes from Victorian England, is some sort of masterpiece of originality!

(Stickleback is of course a great series, and deserving of votes even in this tie)

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Timothy on 02 August, 2022, 11:12:49 AM
Quote from: The Mind of Wolfie Smith link=topic=48810.msg1089622#msg1089622 dae=1659433881
stickleback

a homage to halo jones is obviously a good thing. but, y'know, the original is still best.

Are you sure you're not thinking of The Out?
Mm. I can see bits of Halo in The Out, but Brink is mostly a procedural cop thriller with some horror in the mix, set in space. There's no obvious overlap with Moore's story.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

yeah, youse are right, i think the out is more explicitly a homage. but i'm sticking to my guns about brink, too.
i guess there is a dabnett droid oeuvre subsection where he just examines moore's mighty contributions to the prog, kind of questioning what would happen if moore's characters just hung around a bit longer and were more verbose. brink is probably the best example of this - while taking hoop life to its logical conclusion. and i love it.
i guess the question might be - would brink and the out exist if halo jones had never been? i don't think so.

moly

NapalmKev

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

sintec

Two superb thrills but if I can only have one it has to be Brink

BPP

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Huey2

Colin YNWA

With a day to go a late surge of Stickleback votes mean this tie seems to be on a knife edge. If we get the same volume of votes on the last day as we have for the early ties this round, well its open for the taking for either thrill. Get um in and I'll count um up in the morning.

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

The voting pattern was fascinating here. Brink stormed out and seemed to be taking this one without a problem. Then the votes dried up and Stickleback took ower. Without quite the same pace and that saved the new thrill. Stickleback hit back, but without quite the vigour. A final vote for Brink underlined the difference.

Brink

Finds itself in the tight confines of Round 6.