Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - Bad Company vs. Red Seas Rd 5 Heat 4

Started by Colin YNWA, 02 August, 2022, 06:25:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

So managed to squeeze in prep and we are straight into Round 5. 32 thrills remain, so at this point there is little use going on about how tough this will now be, how we are going to lose great thrills and how mind melting some of the decisions will become. It's now pretty obvious. That said there is one tie this week which I had as an outside chance of the final... not to be anymore AND I might go into meltdown if we see the end of the done in one story... it's going to be interesting to say the least

Two thrills that many seem to think overstayed their welcome after brilliant starts... I mean those folks are utterly wrong, but it's something I read here often. Red Seas also gives us that nice treat of a long form Edgiverse story with a really satisfying ending. For balance modern Bad Company is really good and has important points to add to the original story's themes. There said it!

Form book (note none of the remaining thrill appeared in Round 1 - all getting byes; so the form book starts at Round 2)

Bad Company: DeMarco; Hondo City Justice; Mean Machine
Red Seas: Canon Fodder; Blackhawk; Shadows

Bad Company - more info

VS

Red Seas - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Friday 5th August and the winner gets a place in Round 6 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

AlexF

On the writing, there are bits of Red Seas that just about stand up to the best of Bad Company. One the art, though, my heart will always belong to Ewins and his extra-thick-soled boots, not to mention the insane love energy pouring off of Rufus Dayglo's pages.

Bad Company

Past rounds of voting have made it abundanbtly clear this thrill isn't really a contender, but for me it's a nailed-on Semi-Finalist at least.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I'm going to vote The Red Seas. I do not like The Red Seas, but I dislike the later Bad Company series (especially the very latest) even more.

SBT

abelardsnazz

IndigoPrime

The best of Bad Company (the first two series) is better than the best of Red Seas. But taken as a whole, Red Seas is consistent and a great romp, coming together wonderfully in collected form. Kano (if we are counting that) was OK, but for me it's then been rapidly diminishing returns. So I'm going for Red seas.

Aaron A Aardvark

At times I really liked Red Seas but some of it was a bit meh, Bad Company was never that.

Bad Company.

Magnetica

Bad Company.

For series one and the character designs. Especially Kano.

Barrington Boots

Bit of a head-scratcher here. Early Bad Company I think is stellar, but as noted before each series is worse than the last and the very last one we had was appalling. Red Seas I've only read in it's entirety in the Ultimate Collection: I'm a big fan overall, but it can't maintain high standards throughout and there's some real peaks and troughs in the story.
On the balance one thrill had more impact on me when I first read it, and that's possibly because of when I read it, but I think I'll go for Bad Company
You're a dark horse, Boots.

rogue69

JayzusB.Christ

The aforementioned early Bad Company more than makes up for the underwhelming later stuff.  Red Seas is a fine story but Bad Company all the way.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"