Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - Halo Jones vs. Shakara Rd 5 Heat 5

Started by Colin YNWA, 03 August, 2022, 06:15:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexF

It's another head/heart battle. I encountered Shakara as a weekly reader and still carry the warm glow of joy that the first series provided. I didn't love everything that came after - it got VERY wordy at some points - but it's still a glorious piece of hard sci fi. And the horror stuff in it is really great.

Halo Jones I've only ever read as a much-revered classic, and while it DID manage to live up to its reputation that's always a bit of millstone round it's neck. How can it be as good as people say it is, because people REALLY love it.

On the other hand, the best thing, for me, about Halo Jones, is quite how well each individual episode works as a satisfying idea and character delivery machine. Whereas Shakara was more an exercise in telling the same story in as many ways as possible with added visual lunacy (well, for a couple of books, at least).

So even though my heart wants to go with Shakara, my head is telling me quite what an immense achievement practically every single episode of Halo Jones is, even as it's also a set of three very neatly plotted stories.

Halo Jones

Dash Decent

Transvision Vamp never sang a song about Shakara, so I'm hanging out with Halo Jones.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

BPP

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Funt Solo

The Ballad of Halo Jones, please, Bob!

Shakara is good, but it's like off-brand Pringles next to Nemesis the Warlock. Halo is lasagne.

Hungry now...
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Richard

Blue Cactus

Halo, but it's a close call for me. Both tremendous.

Huey2

Southstreeter

Shakara for me. Robot Dinosaurs in space. The World Engine. Some of the prog's best ever art.

Colin YNWA

Shakara is putting up a fine fight, as might be expected but as we enter the final day the voting will need to shift considerably before it over takes Halo Jones. Lets see what happens ahead of the result tomorrow morning.

JayzusB.Christ

Halo Jones, by miles.  And Shakara is a good story.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

I, Cosh

We never really die.

NapalmKev

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

This provides sure sign of how interesting things will become. Even the sacred cows are open to challenge. Halo Jones is brilliant, absolutely brilliant and deserves its place in 2000ad legend. What we need to do these days is constantly question that and just not fall back to old traditional views and reflect fairly as to how the medium has moved on and developed. Are the Beatles still the best band out there? And if we say no does that mean they are not still a great band. So Shakara, maybe more Nine Inch Nails than Beatles certainly helped shake things up. I mean it ultmately didn't get that close but it asked the the right questions. When it landed it was a shot in the comics are, just as Halo Jones was. And it went on to be even more, just as Halo did. In the end though

Halo Jones

Will be in Round 6, I mean they are sacred cows for a reason!