Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - VCs vs. Fiends of the Eastern Front Rd 5 Heat 7

Started by Colin YNWA, 04 August, 2022, 07:47:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

So managed to squeeze in prep and we are straight into Round 5. 32 thrills remain, so at this point there is little use going on about how tough this will now be, how we are going to lose great thrills and how mind melting some of the decisions will become. It's now pretty obvious. That said there is one tie this week which I had as an outside chance of the final... not to be anymore AND I might go into meltdown if we see the end of the done in one story... it's going to be interesting to say the least

Two thrills that have significant and successful revivals. I have to be honest I've enjoyed both returns much more than the GFD originals. I know others views vary significantly from that apparent hierarchy, BUT whichever you prefer the vote is between the two thrills, not their various iterations. Have at it...

Form book (note none of the remaining thrill appeared in Round 1 - all getting byes; so the form book starts at Round 2)

VCs: Citi-Def; Dandridge; Hope
Fiends of the Eastern Front: American Reaper; Mean Team; Harlem Heroes

VCs - more info

VS

Fiends of the Eastern Front - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Sunday 7th August and the winner gets a place in Round 6 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

abelardsnazz

BPP

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Aaron A Aardvark

Before the last story I would probably have voted Fiends but it wasted a great premise.

The VCs

for consistency across two eras.

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Barrington Boots

You're a dark horse, Boots.

AlexF

I do love that first Fiends story, silly though it is by the end, and there's lots to love in Tiernan Trevallion's moody artwork.
But to my mind VCs has never put a foot wrong. (And I'm with Colin - the reboot was, overall better than the original)

So, The VCs.

IndigoPrime

I've never really understood the appeal of VCs. I find it... fine. But it's just another future war story with the odd quirk that feels formulaic and honestly fades into the background with all the others. The reboot did nothing for me.

Fiends is the opposite of formulaic – a strip that has managed to reinvent itself meaningfully a couple of times now. The most recent run had its problems (really wants to be Hellboy; not sustainable if the lead and his foes are immortals, punching each other's face off), but the imagination and art from that original GFD run through to the present showcase this as something special, rather than something fairly ordinary.

I'm certain the VCs will win this, but Fiends takes it for me.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 04 August, 2022, 09:54:45 AM
I've never really understood the appeal of VCs. I find it... fine.

Fiends is the opposite of formulaic – a strip that has managed to reinvent itself meaningfully a couple of times now.

Yep, all of this. Despite the problems with modern Fiends, it's still very much got the edge over the just fine VCs.
@jamesfeistdraws

Proudhuff

I have more problems with the original Fiends myself and much prefer the new take on it... VC has a lot of loverly nostalgia swarming around it and some cracking art, there's only one way to settle this: FIGHT!

Fiends it is.
DDT did a job on me

Huey2

I've enjoyed each iteration of Fiends although feel that they are three very different tales. Think they would all have been stronger dropping all pretence of being the same story and just let the writers create their own war/horror strip.

But yeah, Fiends.

paddykafka