Main Menu

Sandman TV Series

Started by oshii, 07 August, 2022, 12:43:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moly

Just finished it and absolutely loved it, having never read the comic I didn't have any pre conceived ideas, loved episode six with death and the end credit offers hope of a second series

Jim_Campbell

Significant slice of Delano/Piers Rayner Hellblazer sneaked into Sandman Ep3, even using Delano's Casanova/Newcastle wordplay to set it up. Maybe there was an acknowledgment further down the credits than I sat through but, still, felt a little... dodgy.

Still enjoying the series overall, but that bit...  I dunno.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

sheridan

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 08 August, 2022, 08:43:46 PM
Significant slice of Delano/Piers Rayner Hellblazer sneaked into Sandman Ep3, even using Delano's Casanova/Newcastle wordplay to set it up. Maybe there was an acknowledgment further down the credits than I sat through but, still, felt a little... dodgy.

Still enjoying the series overall, but that bit...  I dunno.

Delano was credited, and you appear to have more reservations than Delano himself does, if twitter thread is anything to judge.

Piers Rayner also got a credit.  In fact, Richard posted a screengrab of the credits for that episode - present were Stephen Bissette, Mike Carey, Steve Dillon, Garnder F. Fox, John Ridgway, John Totleben, Len Wein, Chris Brunner, Jamie Delano, Garth Ennis, Richard Piers Rayner, Mike Sekowsky, Rick Veitch and Bernie Wrightson.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: sheridan on 08 August, 2022, 10:51:00 PM
Delano was credited, and you appear to have more reservations than Delano himself does, if twitter thread is anything to judge.

OK, that's all good. I didn't sit through all the credits. If Jamie and RPR are good with it, I withdraw my reservations!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Funt Solo

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 08 August, 2022, 02:33:30 PM
I did read the first three or four trades- and still have them- but they were equally as tedious as the people who read them, I thought.

Some salt and vinegar with your bigot and chips?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Is it "bigoted" to dislike a certain type of wanker? Well, no I don't think so- and indeed, diminishes the meaning of the word. You should try harder to do better.

SBT

AlexF

I'm curious about this TV show, but in general am very ambivalent about people adapting old comics to the screen. Preacher seemed pretty good but after 2 episodes I felt I'd get more out of just enjoying the comics again. See also Y the Last Man. I've read and mostly enjoyed a handful of Sandman trades, and am minded to read the whole thing at some point - not sure I personally would benefit from consuming largely the same story on telly.

Weirdly, the big Marvel and DC movies don't bother me so much - I imagine because they tend to be telling almost entirely new stories, albeit based on certain comics runs. And they tend to do a good job of making those stories a) more coherent and b) a good fit for the feature film format. TV series are all well and good, but if Sandman is literally an isuue of the comic per episode, reckon I'll stick with the comics.

sintec

Finished the series last night. Really enjoyed it. Hoping they manage to keep it running, seems to be popular so that's a good sign at least.

sheridan

Quote from: AlexF on 09 August, 2022, 11:07:58 AM
TV series are all well and good, but if Sandman is literally an isuue of the comic per episode, reckon I'll stick with the comics.

It isn't - some episodes have been, some have been two stories compressed in to one episode, others have been half a story arc moved around a bit.

Funt Solo

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 09 August, 2022, 09:50:05 AM
Is it "bigoted" to dislike a certain type of wanker? Well, no I don't think so- and indeed, diminishes the meaning of the word. You should try harder to do better.

SBT

Saying that anyone who enjoyed Sandman is a wanker is bigoted, yes. Review your comments and the dictionary and you'll see that I'm using my words correctly.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

WhizzBang

Quote from: AlexF on 09 August, 2022, 11:07:58 AM
I'm curious about this TV show, but in general am very ambivalent about people adapting old comics to the screen.

This is me too, and is the reason why I have yet to see the Dredd film. I am a big fan of the Sherlock Holmes stories and learnt long ago that adaptions are not really for me as, fine as they often are, I tend to see where the adaptions have skipped bits, cadged bits from other stories, etc.

The stories in their original form are enough for me, but its great if people who haven't read the source enjoy an adaption and may even go back to the original source (for Dredd, Holmes, Sandman, etc) and keep it alive for future generations.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Quote from: Funt Solo on 09 August, 2022, 03:04:00 PM
Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 09 August, 2022, 09:50:05 AM

SBT

Saying that anyone who enjoyed Sandman is a wanker is bigoted, yes. Review your comments and the dictionary and you'll see that I'm using my words correctly.

Except I didn't say that, and you're not. I said the ones I met, who "barked with laughter at other comics" were wankers. My point was that Sandman attracted a readership disinterested in other comics- who thought they were "below them", and that *in my experience* these made up the reader's I met.

I have close friends who enjoyed Sandman- there are some on here, most not- but I strongly disagree with them.

Disliking someone's taste in comics does not make one a "bigot". Disliking that person for their attitudes to other comics does not make one a "bigot". I would strongly suggest you reserve a word like that for appropriate circumstances.

If I seem touchy about this, I was brought up a bigot, and have a daughter who regularly finds herself facing bigots because of who she is.

And Sandman is still a load of pretentious cack.

SBT

Funt Solo

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 08 August, 2022, 02:33:30 PM
I did read the first three or four trades- and still have them- but they were equally as tedious as the people who read them, I thought.

Sorry, but I just took you exactly at these words I've quoted. And I think your understanding of the word bigot is particularly narrow, given the actual dictionary definition. But, clearly we disagree, so we should move on. Happy to discuss further on a different thread, if you wish.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

I always suspected The Sandman was pretentious but was never well read enough to know for sure. This never stopped me from enjoying it, however, and even inspired me to write tons of pretentious bobbins of my own* without the least bit of embarrassment. I mean, what's the point of being an writist if one can't pretend to be better than one is?

Anyhoo, I enjoyed the comics and I enjoyed this series.

*See my entire back catalogue.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

sheridan

If the choice is between so-called pretentious Sandman or willfully inane Big Dave (other "comics are disposable rubbish" stories from the 1990s also available) then I know which I'd pick.