Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - Insurrection vs. Nemesis the Warlock Rd 5 Heat 10

Started by Colin YNWA, 08 August, 2022, 06:35:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Round 5 was always going to be a quickie and in two weeks we are done. I'm thinking maybe next round we'll go to one a day to give us more time to luxuriate (or for me to prep whatever's next if I'm honest, not had to think about that for some time!) Anyway not much else to say except a week of more bastard hard choices!

So this is how close* we got to a Lawless vs Insurrection derby, one place different and... what a tie that would have been! As it is, I think we have to be realistic and admit that a draw will not happen this time round, after a tie like this, however much Insurrection has earnt this with some touch match-ups, surely Nemesis is a thrill too far...

*Oh shut up any statisticians out there!

Form book (note none of the remaining thrill appeared in Round 1 - all getting byes; so the form book starts at Round 2)

Insurrection: Abelard Snazz; Future Shocks; Aquilia
Nemesis: Bison; Indigo Prime; Defoe

Insurrection - more info

VS

Nemesis the Warlock - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Thursday 11th August and the winner gets a place in Round 6 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

Magnetica

Just love Insurrection. It's in my top three all time Megazine thrills. But it's not quite at the level of Nemesis The Warlock.

rogue69

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

NapalmKev

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Funt Solo

Quote from: Magnetica on 08 August, 2022, 06:52:39 AM
Just love Insurrection. It's in my top three all time Megazine thrills. But it's not quite at the level of Nemesis The Warlock.

What Magnetica said. Nemesis the Warlock.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

abelardsnazz

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Ooh, now.

It should be Nemesis. After all, Nemesis is what made me realise how much I loved 2000AD in the first place- with that incredible book two and Redondo's art on the spiders, which came at exactly the right time in my life to cement this funny little comic as something i'd be reading my whole life.

But Insurrection is also fantastic. While I've bought and stored every single issue of The Meg, I can count on maybe two hands the number of strips I think are actually worth the storage space. (Side note: do something about that, Tharg. Make The Meg as good as the prog. You can do it, you know.)

That chunky, gorgeous black and white Colin art! Abnett writing effortlessly in someone else's universe, like the consummate pro he is, and showing everyone else how it's done. And of course, it led to Lawless: the best Dreddverse thing ever, possibly.

Mumblegrumble. Nemesis. For those spiders.

SBT

Blue Cactus

Nemesis is a favourite of mine. I love Insurrection but Nemesis - the characters, the universe, Torquemada, Purity... O'Neill, Redondo, Talbot, Roach, Hicklenton, Flint. Actually book 3 was the first 2000ad I ever encountered, in a Best Of monthly. Blew my mind. So yep, Nemesis.

sintec

Barrington Boots

Good as Insurrection is, I'm also voting for Nemesis the Warlock
You're a dark horse, Boots.

AlexF

Yeah no contest. I just re-read Insurrection for the last Round, and it's better than I remember (and I remember it being very good). But it's not up to the insane fantasy / ideas / weirdness / action standard as Nemesis. I'll spot Insurrection that it's better than Book 10, possibly on an equal footing with book 8.

It's not at all fair to describe Insurrection as 'Warhammer 40K but in the Dreddverse', but, well, its look was surely inspired by that, which, in turn was definitely indebted to Kev O'Neill's original Terminator designs in Nemesis Book 1...

Nemesis the Warlock will destroy all.