Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - Journal of Luke Kirby vs. Ampney Crucis Rd 5 Heat 11

Started by Colin YNWA, 09 August, 2022, 07:01:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Round 5 was always going to be a quickie and in two weeks we are done. I'm thinking maybe next round we'll go to one a day to give us more time to luxuriate (or for me to prep whatever's next if I'm honest, not had to think about that for some time!) Anyway not much else to say except a week of more bastard hard choices!

Interesting match-up. I have to be honest, though I like both these thrills whomever gets through will be one of the weaker thrills left in the tourney. That does make this a well balanced match-up mind...Do wish Luke Kirby had been called Spells of Luke Kirby or Self indugle teenage diary of Luke Kirby... see Form Book

Form book (note none of the remaining thrill appeared in Round 1 - all getting byes; so the form book starts at Round 2)

Journal of Luke Kirby: Armitage; Amazing Maze Dumoir; The Dead
Ampney Crucis: Sooner or Later; Simping Detective; Strontium Dogs

Journals of Luke Kirby - more info

VS

Ampney Crucis - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Friday 12th August and the winner gets a place in Round 6 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

NapalmKev

Two thrills I enjoy and both should have had further series. Decisions, decisions...

Ampney Crucis.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Magnetica

Not really a fan of either.

Ampney Crucis on the basis it took out one of my all time favourite Meg series in the Simping Detective in an earlier round.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

abelardsnazz

Barrington Boots

Luke Kirby for me. Art aside I cannot stand Crucis! Kirby still all sorts of charming.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Richard

rogue69

AlexF

Reckon I like Summer Magic more than any of Ampney Crucis, but all of Ampney more than the rest of Kirby. I would say that both suffer a bit from never quite getting around to having a point - an odd criticsim for a serial in an adventure comic, but they basically just show characters having various adventures, and I prefer stories that have more overt themes in them as well.
I guess Kirby's theme is that Alan McKenzie really liked being a kid in the 60s and going on holiday to the countryside, while Edginton is more into old-timey stuff from before he was born, and eldritch monsters.

Anyway, that one sequence where young Luke is scared out of his face aside, the balls-out art of Simon Davis swings it for me:
Ampney Crucis investigates...

(got to agree with Colin that either thrill is dead lucky to make it to the last 16!! Although if Ampney somehow sneaks through to the quarters that might be enough to persuade Davis and Edginton to give us another series or two, to tie it all of and find whatever that theme actually is?)

IndigoPrime

I liked Crucis, but intentionally bought Luke Kirby in HC (rather than it just rocking up as part of a collection) and I'd sooner reach for the latter than the former for a re-read, so: Luke Kirby.