Main Menu

WHY SINISTER DEXTER IS BRILLIANT

Started by rc, 30 January, 2004, 12:51:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rc

They don't murder "innocents", though - each of their victims is demonised enough to warrant a cap in their ass.

What I want to know is, what do they do with all the money?

Leigh S

Like the hairdresser who gave someone a bad haircut?  

The moral stand in SinDex moves around more often than there have been stories - there was the one about corrupt cops (they are bad Sinister informs us sagely), then theres the ones where they gleefully kill anyone - the lack of consistency, and the bitty, throwaway nature of their antics seriously undermines what began as something of a breath of fresh air for 2000AD in a time when we hadnt seen a strong recurring character for the best part of a decade.

GordonR

>what do they do with all the money?

Maybe they're like Johnny & Wulf, and putting all their money into a nestegg to buy that lovely little retirement place in the country together.

Wils

Now I've got the image of Johnny and Wulf running a little tea shop together.

"Ach! Johnny, there is Gronk fur in der clotted cream again."

thrillpowerseeker

Gordon..Your obsessed!!..I'm trying to work out who youve got more of a downer on..johnny and wulf or retirement homes in the countryside

Floyd-the-k

King Trout, that`s very well put. Sinister Dexter should stick to 1) and give up on 2) completely.
  It often misses working for me too, but I forgive it for the times it does

Rosso

a character needs to be on a kind of journey of self discovery in order to be interesting, but these two just  seem to wallow in their own shit.they have no moral consistency. hence you are confused what there purpose is. in real life they'd be the shits who smoke on the bus and would kick your head in if you objected to this.no rhyme, no reason, no fun.

rc

Nonsense!

Wallowing in your own shit can be bloody entertaining - the "journey of self-discovery" protagonist has become rather ho-hum these days I find; strict moral viewpoints are not so important when the stance of the characters is so laid back, and while a "code" is one thing it makes for undeniably exciting reading when our heroes are prepared to dust a hairdresser or an apparent "innocent" every so often.

Perhaps it makes us quickly check our own values on such moral matters, and surely that is a trait of brilliant fiction?

stront692

i dont like the art, nothing to do with the style or anything but i dont like the way are drawn

i dont like their faces

the funny is i like kelley jones artwork and he has a similar style but i only read the ones where they dont look like skeletons

the humour is black, i get that but i admit that their standards around a bit - there needs to be consistency

Slippery PD

I have to say theres nothing on this thread that makes me think Ive got Sin Dex wrong.  I get the humour, but it doesnt make me laugh.  

The inconsistency of the two main characters is possibly the major put off.  It may have been better when they split if theyd come back diffent.  They didnt.  Partcularly Dexter, he went to work for DUR, he tried to go straight.  Surely his morality would have improved and he may have baulked at Sinisters more callous nature?  But he doesnt and theyve gone back to becoming a pale parody of what they used to be.  This is whats so annoying about the two.  They seem to have forgotten their own history.....

Yer Slips

stront692

i have read a few of them, even the ones with the art i dont like

and well, im not missing anything

i just skip it now

The Amstor Computer

I'd have to agree with several other posters: Sin/Dex lost me after Eurocrash.

There have been some good episodes since then - and the art is usually very good - but it's become a lot like Rogue Trooper after the conclusion of the Traitor General storyline: there just doesn't seem point in the series any more.

Dunk!

I came back to tooth - after a long hiatis - when Sin/Dex were in full swing and an established part of every prog.

I've never cared for the characters or the stories or the artwork used to illustrate them - especially as mentioned before it all seems to be photo-referenced headshots. (Not that there's anything wrong with using photo reference)

There seems to be a trend for the "heroic" killer across various media in the last decade - similar to the super-genius, police taunting Serial Killer bad guy - which i have to admit passes me by as well.

That said; if it entertains other folks and means tooth keeps its small fanbase and keeps publishing then all power to the strip - I have 3-4 others I can read each week.

"Trust we"

rc

Because Dexter has reverted back to his hitman career does not mean his spell with the DUR was worthless; in fact now he has operated on different sides of a notoriously unstable city law surely he is now more equipped than ever to handle such a job?

His renouncing of guns and violence was in reaction to Demi Octavo's death - an understandable choice to make for a jaded hitman - and his return to it was only after he'd experienced first hand the corruption of the "other side" and of course the passing of time since the blow struck by Demi's death.

If Dexter decided to walk the earth and become a bum instead after his enlightenment, now that would be boring!

Trout

With respect, RC, I would suggest you're reading far too much into this strip.

I believe very strongly that character development has simply been abandoned in SinDex.

It's returned to its roots as a shallow Pulp Fiction homage.

However, I agree with Tulkas: if it continues to have fans, then it helps the comic, and I'm not too bothered.

As long as the comic also contains something more readable.

- Trout