Previous topic - Next topic

carefree

V for Vendetta
Maus
100 Bullets
all excellent choices

may i add Swamp Thing bks 1-8

House of Usher

The Walking Dead, books 1-4. But they won't keep you busy for long; they're so gripping, you'll want to reach in one cover to cover in a single sitting.
STRIKE !!!

wrighty47

Gawd! Where to begin??

V For Vendetta (Alan Moore's best!?)
Luthor Arkwright
Lone Wolf & Cub (just... epic!!)
Sin City (especially the first few)
Batman : Year One (another Frank Miller classic)
Transmetropolitan
Preacher (Ennis at his best)
We3/The Invisibles (both Grant Morrison - both brilliant)
The Sandman (classic Goth/fantasy from Neil Gaiman)
Lucifer ( Sandman followup from Tooth's mike Carey, and is just as good).
Maus (because everyone should)
100 Bullets
Metabarons (Mental Euro sci-fi madness)
Queen & Country (how can a Yank writ Brits so well)
The Walking Dead (gripping stuff)
Modesty Blaise (so much betterthan you'd think)
Charley's War (tho you'll have this in the Meg?)
Jeff Hawke (if you can find any)
Dan Dare (because it's the granddaddy!!)

Oh... there's loads.... :)

Alan!

House of Usher

you'll want to reach in one cover to cover

/gibberish mode off:

That should read: "you'll want to read each one cover to cover in one sitting".
STRIKE !!!

Dudley

Maybe you should try the bible.  I hear that's a pretty Good Book.

DavidXBrunt

Bone is a fantasy epic that is accesable for kids as it is grown ups. A wonderful adventure with dragons, princesses, prophecies, and strange creatures who look like bones. It's as good as the best Disney and almost up to Miyazaki standards. Available in a big, chunky phone book sized volume.

Y the last man is reviewed in depth in this months Meg but reads well in collections.

Fables is also very good, one of the best comics out there. Recommend that yuo buy volume 1 and 2 at the same time though. Fun modern urban fantasy with fairy tale characters fleeing to our world for refuge from a tyrant. No status quo means that there's never a time when the reset button is hit at the end of a tale.

Adventures in the Rifle Brigade is an uprorious politically incorrect second world war tale with racism, sexism, homophobia, class prejudice, more stereotypes than you can shake a stick at, and one very lucky badger. Wonderful comedy from Garth Ennis and great fun art from Carlos Ezquerra.

War Stories sees Garth in more somber and respectful mood with a quartet of war tales drawn by four of the best artists out there. Here's hoping there's a volume two because Carlos' art on Condors is absolute career best.

Dan Dare, Modesty Blaise, James Bond, The Spider, Charlies War, and The Steel Claw are all huge fun and proof that the best thing that could have happened to Titans G.N. department was losing the 2k license.

Rob Spalding

I agree with Bone, it's epic, funny and brilliant.
Adventures in the Rifle Brigade is funnier if you've read any of the old war strips it's taking the piss out of.

Rising Stars, by Stracynski is also a great read, and it's all available now.
The recent Punisher Max stuff by Ennis is great too, all the blood and swearing that should have been in it from the start.
Also Neil Gaiman's 1602 for a fresh look at some Marvel characters, and a good read too.

I, Cosh

Further to all the Alan Moore love further up, the first two volumes of Promothea are absolutely excellent. Then it suddenly changes tack to become a sort of schoolboy's primer on the Tarot, Kabbala and assorted mystical crap. Albeit a beautifully drawn one.
We never really die.

SamuelAWilkinson

Speaking of Sandman, Sandman Mystery Theatre is a proper dark and nasty retelling of the original sandman (ie a nerd in a trenchcoat and gas mask) and is rather good.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

radiator

Ha! Methinks you better have a lot of money lightsurfer!

Martin Jameson

You'r right - remortgage I think!
Okay..where to start eh? Thanks chaps you are most helpful.
And Dudly - I agree Bible is very Good book....but would like to see it McMahon style maybe:)

Rob Spalding

There is a comic version of the Bible out there.
Met the bloke who wrote/co-wrote? it at Brighton Comic Expo.
Apparently the artist has since given up art and gone to live as an IT consultant or something!

Bart Oliver

Sleeper by Brubaker and Philips.

The complete story spans four trade paper backs.

http://www.dccomics.com/comics/images/June2004/pic_lrgsleepers21cvr.jpg>

Just calling it a super powered spy strip is selling it short ;)

Enjoy.
Obviously you're not a golfer.