Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 May, 2019, 06:46:33 AM
So sad to hear about Peter. A gloriously warm giant. 43 years on from first his donning the walking carpet, my daughter will wake up this morning beside her cuddly Chewie, under her two Chewie posters and put on her Chewie dressing gown and then i'll have to tell her the news.

I think this is the saddest thing I've ever read on this forum, brought a proper lump to my throat. RIP Chewie, and all the best to your little padawan TB.

The Legendary Shark

Ah, Tordels, that's a heartbreaking situation :(

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

DaveGYNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 May, 2019, 06:46:33 AM
So sad to hear about Peter. A gloriously warm giant. 43 years on from first his donning the walking carpet, my daughter will wake up this morning beside her cuddly Chewie, under her two Chewie posters and put on her Chewie dressing gown and then i'll have to tell her the news.

:-(

Our girls found out this morning via the radio - we (wife and I) were upstairs when we suddenly heard "No, not Chewie!" from downstairs. Thankfully they were OK with it, no tears, but felt really sorry for them when I heard that.
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

von Boom

Such sad news about Peter Mayhew. Chewie was an icon and will always be remembered fondly. RIP.

Daveycandlish

As sad as Peter Mayhew's death is it has been lovely to see such a huge outpouring of love for him with nary a bad word from anyone. A rare feat these days.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Colin YNWA

Sad to hear about the passing of Peter Mayhew. His ability to get such life and humanity from Chewie while coated in a wookie suit seems to stand testament to what a giant of a man was was in more than the physical sense.

rogue69

Freddie Starr aged 76

rogue69

Peggy Lipton aged 72, best known as Double R Diner owner Norma Jennings on the cult classic series Twin Peaks

sheridan

TordelBack

Quote from: sheridan on 13 May, 2019, 02:16:46 PM
Doris Day, 97

As noted in a recent Twitter exchange with Colin Smith, Doris was my first crush*, and I think I may have imprinted on her version of Calamity Jane for my future romantic targets, which has turned out to be no bad thing. A glowing talent, and one to whose reputation the many years have been appropriately kind. RIP.

*Won't mention again that it was actually a close tie with Floella Benjamin, that always seems to earn me funny looks around here.

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 13 May, 2019, 05:32:30 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 13 May, 2019, 02:16:46 PM
Doris Day, 97

As noted in a recent Twitter exchange with Colin Smith, Doris was my first crush*, and I think I may have imprinted on her version of Calamity Jane for my future romantic targets, which has turned out to be no bad thing. A glowing talent, and one to whose reputation the many years have been appropriately kind. RIP.

*Won't mention again that it was actually a close tie with Floella Benjamin, that always seems to earn me funny looks around here.

Don't know if it will still be available, but there was a Radio Four series that featured Floella a month or two back. I think it was presented by wozzname who does that Only Connect thing.

TordelBack

Victoria Coren? That'd be two crushes for the price of one!

Robin Low

Quote from: sheridan on 13 May, 2019, 05:49:15 PMDon't know if it will still be available, but there was a Radio Four series that featured Floella a month or two back. I think it was presented by wozzname who does that Only Connect thing.

That was the women-and-their-first-car thing, right? I heard quite a few episodes of that series and they were quite fun, even though I have no interest in cars. The Floella episode was particularly good, as I recall.

Regards,

Robin

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 13 May, 2019, 06:08:47 PM
Victoria Coren? That'd be two crushes for the price of one!

That's the one!

sheridan

Quote from: Robin Low on 13 May, 2019, 07:03:00 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 13 May, 2019, 05:49:15 PMDon't know if it will still be available, but there was a Radio Four series that featured Floella a month or two back. I think it was presented by wozzname who does that Only Connect thing.

That was the women-and-their-first-car thing, right? I heard quite a few episodes of that series and they were quite fun, even though I have no interest in cars. The Floella episode was particularly good, as I recall.

Regards,

Robin

I have less-than-zero interest in cars.  Liked listening to the lives of those interviewed, though shame they kept interrupting it with the boring stuff.  Bit like trying to listen to the news and being interrupted by updates on who ran around a field playing games.