Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 07 July, 2014, 09:18:11 PM
If you want me to stop abusing this thread just say and I will... promise... maybe...

We want you to stop abusing yourself with some of that haul.
Otherwise- carry on.

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 07 July, 2014, 09:18:11 PM
Batman 32 has finally done it I'm out. I'll get next issue to see how this bloody arc finishes but then I'm done.

We're not the only ones. A quick Google of 'Batman Zero Year Boring' yielded a few hits;

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/206-comics-and-graphic-novels/68602309

http://www.theouthousers.com/forum/the-news-stand/batman-double-sigh-spoilers-but-not-really-t102807.html

I will admit to you that I almost lost the will to live while reading issue 32.

Looking at it coldly, I'm now of the opinion that Snyder's Batman work peaked pre-New 52 (his run on Detective with Jock / Francavilla).
The first arc of the New-52 Batman was great, but yeah- it's been declining since the admittedly over-hyped 'Death of the Family'.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Link Prime on 08 July, 2014, 01:48:48 PM
Looking at it coldly, I'm now of the opinion that Snyder's Batman work peaked pre-New 52 (his run on Detective with Jock / Francavilla).
The first arc of the New-52 Batman was great, but yeah- it's been declining since the admittedly over-hyped 'Death of the Family'.

Yeah that about sums it up for me. Which kinda puts me to shame as it means I've just been kinda getting this for over a year and half, like some sort of numb nut. There's too many good Batman comics in the world to be worrying about okay Batman comics.

QuoteWe want you to stop abusing yourself with some of that haul.

Uh now I'm intrigued which comics you're referring to... well unless its Sex which strangely while having lots of sex in it isn't particularly sexy, if you follow me... or if its just a vague gag with no specific targets. If not tell all, promise I won't shout...

Hawkmumbler

Few titles to gt me through the dilemma that was today....

The Maxx #9- I can't end my praise for this series. Such a gem.

Spread #1- Made by some local talents whose name escapes me.  ;)

The Royals Masters of War #6- Farewell, sweet prince. I shall miss thee much.

Weekly Shonen Jump #32- Blue Exorcist has a certain....something about it. It should be all means be utterly formulaic and boring. But in contrast it's utterly engaging.

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 08 July, 2014, 02:38:27 PM
its just a vague gag with no specific targets.

As always.

The only comic in your haul I've actually tried and didn't like was Hinterkind- but each to their own.

PreacherCain

Quote from: Mardroid on 06 July, 2014, 08:03:56 PM
Quote from: PreacherCain on 05 July, 2014, 07:20:42 PM
I'm finding it odd how Marvel are choosing to reprint this. While it looks incredible with the new colours, mixing Moore's stuff in with Anglo's old strips is confusing. The opening few pages of the first issue (the 50s strip prologue) is written by Moore and is integral to events that happen later in the story...

Hmm. It had a kind of knowing tongue in cheek tone to it so being written by Moore would make sense. It's based on a plot by Anglo though.

Without wanting to spoil things, Moore does something really quite clever with 'repurposing' Anglo's old stories. They increasingly take on a weirdly ominous tone (which doesn't carry over to the 'straight' Anglo reprints at the back of the Marvel issues). I'm not 100% sure but I think some of these are actual old MM strips with Moore replacing the dialogue. if you're caught up with the latest issue, these prolgogues should make sense by now  :)

PreacherCain

Not sure what's been going on with Snyder's Batman. Death in the Family was rather poor and Zero Year is a bore. For some reason, it's being coloured like the Batman & Robin movie too.

I'd rather see Peter Tomasi and Gleason/Capullo on Batman, to be honest.

The Adventurer

DIGITAL PULLS FOR 07/09/14

2000 AD 1889 - A week behind. Gotta catch up. Money is tight atm. Sucks.
ROYALS: MASTERS OF WAR 6 - Behind 2 issues, but this series is pretty good!
STAR WARS 19 - I think I'm an issue behind here too! June has been a freaking comic wasteland for me.
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 32 - But I did find $20 (currently on sale from $25. NOW IS THE TIME!) to reup my WSJ Sub for another year. Worth it. Only One-Punch Man could make a 5 page sequence of a guy punching a guy THAT EPIC. Also, this week's Stealth Symphony chapter is amazing.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Mardroid

Quote from: PreacherCain on 09 July, 2014, 03:02:07 AM
Without wanting to spoil things, Moore does something really quite clever with 'repurposing' Anglo's old stories. They increasingly take on a weirdly ominous tone (which doesn't carry over to the 'straight' Anglo reprints at the back of the Marvel issues). I'm not 100% sure but I think some of these are actual old MM strips with Moore replacing the dialogue. if you're caught up with the latest issue, these prolgogues should make sense by now  :)

Wells here's a case where a minor spoiler has got me intrigued. Maybe I should stick with this for a bit...

Mardroid

I took a chance and pulled the next two issues. Yep. It's actually pretty good.

The Adventurer

DIGITAL PULLS for 07/16/14

2000 AD 1890 - The return of BRASS SUN is tickling all the right bones, SINISTER DEXTER still feels like its spinning its wheels, but I still enjoy it enough. JUDGE DREDD is as good as it always is. JAEGIR was suppose to have returned by now, but is MIA. Which is a bit disappointed, I quite liked the first run.
MEGA MAN 39 - What's fascinating about this Mega Man / Mega Man X crossover, is that it appears and Mega Man and X are never actually going to meet directly. Which is a FACINATION idea structurally for a 'crossover'.
SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 262 - Not much to say about this arc. Its a tad dull actually, and kind of going on a predicable path. But I suppose they can't all be winners.
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 33 - STEALTH SYMPHONY ends, and I'm super depressed about that. It was unique, exciting, had great characters, was well drawn, and an interesting world. No wonder Japanese kids hated it and regularly voted it to the bottom on the rankings. FFFFFFFFFFFartz. But at least it ends with an ending. Which I suppose is better then some cancelled WSJ series get. But what's really anoying me, is that we don't seem to be getting a replacement for it. Three new series launched in japan to replace it, and the one that looked good for English audiences, MY HERO ACADEMY appears no where in sight for English Jump.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Link Prime

First week in an age where I have bupkis on order (apart from the Prog & Meg of course).

I do feel like I've over-done the culling a little.
Maybe I should've kept PAD's X-Factor on the pull-list.

Greg M.

Quote from: Link Prime on 15 July, 2014, 09:57:48 AM
Maybe I should've kept PAD's X-Factor on the pull-list.

I wouldn't be rushing to stick it back on - it's perfectly solid storytelling, and it has its highlights (mostly whenever it focuses on Gambit, oddly - he's the most interesting thing in it) but when compared to the best of the last X-Factor run, there's something lacking. I'd say the same of PAD's new Spider-Man 2099 series - it works perfectly well, but there's a certain spark missing. PAD seems fascinated by the idea of corporate superheroes at the moment - Spider-Man 2099 may be heading in that direction too.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Link Prime on 15 July, 2014, 09:57:48 AM
First week in an age where I have bupkis on order (apart from the Prog & Meg of course).

Strangely enough even though I won't be able to make it to my nerd shop this week they'd be little point as I don't think anything has come for me this week either.

Hawkmumbler

Cap'n Dinosaur (One-Shot): Shakey Kane madness and pulpy fun. Love it.

Weekly Shonen Jump #33: Stealth Symphony ends. Much rage in my blood their is.