Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gurnard

I just started issue 38 Aquila. I never read this in the original issues but was always a fan on Black Hawk in the Tornado years so thought it would be my thing, which it is.

In the intro bumpf at the beginning it suggests that the story has not been completed to this day.

Is this correct?  Is it a series that is likely to be cropping up again in the pages of 2thou? Or is it something that faded away?

sheridan

Quote from: gurnard on 22 May, 2019, 01:04:45 PM
I just started issue 38 Aquila. I never read this in the original issues but was always a fan on Black Hawk in the Tornado years so thought it would be my thing, which it is.

In the intro bumpf at the beginning it suggests that the story has not been completed to this day.

Is this correct?  Is it a series that is likely to be cropping up again in the pages of 2thou? Or is it something that faded away?

The end where they [spoiler]disappear into a black hole[/spoiler]?  Nope, nothing else after that.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

While I long ago ceased to be able to buy these on a regular basis, I do have a hankering for the new Stickleback one. Can anyone please tell me what it contains? Is it the whole thing? ( assuming the [spoiler]Moriarty reveal[/spoiler] is the actual end, and that if the strip returns to 2000AD it will be in a whole new format, probably under a new title.)
I currently have only the first Rebellion trade on the shelf  (and all the progs in a box, obvs).
SBT

abelardsnazz

The Stickleback volume contains:

Mother London
England's Glory
London's Burning
Twas The Night Before Christmas

Exactly 200 pages of strip, by my count.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: gurnard on 22 May, 2019, 01:04:45 PM
I just started issue 38 Aquila... In the intro bumpf at the beginning it suggests that the story has not been completed to this day.

Aye, the Ultimate volume contains everything so far. Rennie has bad form for getting bored and not finishing his stories - but Caballistics recently got a conclusion after being AWOL for 11 years, so who knows? The last Aquila story was December 2016, so it's still not unlikely at this stage that it'll come back.
@jamesfeistdraws

athorist

If there's not going to be an extension, then that's an incredibly unsatisfying way to end Sinister Dexter. I loved the book, I just want more.
You need light here even in the morning
Compared to this St Petersburg was nothing

The Fall - No Bulbs

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: athorist on 23 May, 2019, 12:28:15 PM
If there's not going to be an extension, then that's an incredibly unsatisfying way to end Sinister Dexter. I loved the book, I just want more.

There's a third book to come, you know...
@jamesfeistdraws

IndigoPrime

Quote from: athorist on 23 May, 2019, 12:28:15 PMIf there's not going to be an extension, then that's an incredibly unsatisfying way to end
Just stopping the sentence there, because, man, that's going to be the case quite a lot here. It'll be interesting to see how things go. Dredd went on for an extra ten books, but I'd be amazed if that wasn't a higher seller than this run. But also, Dredd felt, frankly, like you could have easily enough removed 10–20 volumes from the main run and lost nothing. The 2000 AD set is, to my mind, rather meatier (despite the billions of Sláine books), and there's just so much potential for more – including, I guess, more Dredd collections alongside continuations (SinDex/Kingdom/etc.) and new stuff (FIREKIND! C'MON!)

davidbishop

Much as I enjoy Firekind, calling new stuff is a slight stretch.

The final episode was published 26 years ago.

IndigoPrime

New as in new to the collection. In this case, in the sense of a series, but also a writer. (Unless I'm mistaken, John Smith has largely been wiped from existence as far as TUC is concerned. While I realise there have been issues with Smith and 2000 AD, it would be a great shame to not have some of his greatest comics work collected in this collection, should the opportunity arise.)

karlos

In case you guys didn't know, Hachette are offering a discount: £10 off all orders of £50 or more.

Code: SAVE10

abelardsnazz

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 24 May, 2019, 09:49:42 AM
New as in new to the collection. In this case, in the sense of a series, but also a writer. (Unless I'm mistaken, John Smith has largely been wiped from existence as far as TUC is concerned. While I realise there have been issues with Smith and 2000 AD, it would be a great shame to not have some of his greatest comics work collected in this collection, should the opportunity arise.)

Hoping for Cinnabar and some Future-Shocks, at least. But yes, it does seem odd given that the Dredd collection represented Mr Smith very well.

IndigoPrime

Aligning Firekind with the release of Avatar 2 (Dec 2020) would have been fun.

Jade Falcon

Does anyone know for sure just what Rogue Trooper stuff we are getting.  I have the Rebellion volumes, as in Future of War, Fort Neuro, Eye of the Traitor, To the Ends of Nu-Earth, Re-Gene and Realpolitik as well as the Extreme Edition with Cinnabar.

I know someone who doesn't have the Realpolitik book or Cinnabar, if they are going to be printed in the Mega Collection I'll happily give them my trades.  I must admit, much as I like the original Rogue I did like the darker stories in Realpolitik, ditto with the 86ers.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

sintec

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 08 May, 2019, 03:33:27 PM
Quote from: abelardsnazz on 08 May, 2019, 01:02:51 PM
I collected Rogue volume 3 from the Thrill-merchant this morning... Contents are Eye of the Traitor to Milli-Com Memories, which along with Matt Smith's intro stating the next volume covers 1984-85, suggests there'll only be room for the original run up to the Jose Ortiz stories. It'll be a shame if Cinnabar isn't included...

Aye, if the next book covers Just Routine to Return to Milli-Com (end of the Finley-Day run) then it's got the same page-count as volume 3. We know Rogue is getting 5 volumes of the UC though, so hope remains for Cinnabar...!

We know about the next 1 (vol 4).  Don't think we've been told what the final volume will contain yet though.