Main Menu

Is this It For Ghostbusters Two....

Started by ThryllSeekyr, 19 February, 2016, 10:02:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: JamesC on 04 March, 2016, 06:52:12 AM
It looks okay...ish.
The biggest disappointment for me is that it's a reboot. I thought it was going to be a 'next generation' thing that followed on from the previous films. I think that would've been more interesting and probably less alienating to fans of the original film.

That term....Reboot has always confused me. I figure it means that the original GBs don't exist. Is that right.

You know, I think all of them minus one are making cameo's and I'm not sure if that includes as them being who were or just other folks.

JamesC

Well the trailer is a little confusing as it starts by establishing that this all happened 30 years ago in the original film. But the way the trailer continues makes it look like an updated, gender flipped retelling of the original story and that in-narrative the characters have no knowledge of the previous film's events. It's a bit odd.

I think the term re-boot refers to a studio trying to reignite a franchise generally and doesn't necessarily have any bearing on how that's done. So a remake, a belated sequel, a prequel or a re-imagining could all be considered 're-boots' if they are breathing new life into a dormant franchise.

IndigoPrime

It feels like the trailer wants to have its cake and eat it, by referencing the original film but then ignoring it in the actual film. It's an odd approach. It's not like Robocop went: "In 1987, a metal cop took on OCP in Detroit, and now, in 2014, we've decided to have another crack at the concept."

TordelBack

One of the interesting aspects of the original is that the paranormal activity they are dealing with is all related to an imminent cross-dimensional event - their apparent 'discovery' of ghosts that can be busted for fun and profit is just a symptom of something else, rather than the identification of a sustainable business model. Of course the literature than Ray and Egon discuss suggests that the supernatural is an ongoing thing, as does the sequel, but we don't see any evidence of that in the first film - New York becomes 'spook central' because Ivo Shandor had built a mechanism to open a gateway to the Traveler's dimension, and everything from the librarian to Ray's nocturnal blow-job are side effects.  Gozer is worshipped as a god, but it is actually an interdimensional invader - this makes the film a very self-contained story, possibly one reason its many spinoffs struggle.

The new trailer suggests an artificial boosting of paranormal activity as the main plot, not unlike the goo in the second, but will this be to a similar purpose...?

ThryllSeekyr

Cross-Dimensional-Event sounds like rift between two alternate Earths. Can you see where that is going....

James Stacey

Clearly its not a sequel of any kind as it starts by mentioning 4 scientists. Pretty sure there were only 3.

GordonR

Quote from: James Stacey on 04 March, 2016, 12:00:21 PM
Clearly its not a sequel of any kind as it starts by mentioning 4 scientists. Pretty sure there were only 3.

They may be counting Winston as a Ghostbuster (and hence 'scientist', since they don't want to say the word Ghostbuster that early in the trailer.)

It's a trailer.  They're not carving great truths in eternal stone, so I don't think there's any 'clearly' about it.

James Stacey

I take your point but there are plenty of other words they could have used that are factually correct (within the context of the previous films)  such as 'people', it seems odd to go out of their way to say something incorrect when they are slavishly referencing the original film in so many ways. Its an odd one. Yep its just a trailer, and fingers crossed the film is great. If it isn't it won't alter how great the original was (imo). It does look painfully unfunny from whats available though.

Steve Green

Skinrash

Zero interest in seeing this. A remake of something that was already perfect made by and starring people I've never heard of.

JamesC

Winston became an honourary scientist after the situation was explained to him in terms of twinkles.

radiator

Nothing against anyone involved, I like Wiig, enjoyed McCarthy in St Vincent and I'll always have a soft spot for Feig for creating one of my most cherished TV series of all time in Freaks and Geeks....

...but this just doesn't look very good.

shaolin_monkey

Here's the original Ghostbusters trailer for comparison:

http://youtu.be/teGxHLo9Qcc

James Dilworth

Red Letter Media just posted their trailer review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6seIQ8rLp8

You should also check out Red Letter Media's... everything.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: James Dilworth on 05 March, 2016, 05:56:12 AM
Red Letter Media just posted their trailer review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6seIQ8rLp8

You should also check out Red Letter Media's... everything.
If ever their was a time to bring this gem back, it's to sum of general fan reaction to this trailer.