Main Menu

Is this It For Ghostbusters Two....

Started by ThryllSeekyr, 19 February, 2016, 10:02:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

I want to know if the original 1969 Cadillac Ecto 1 was male and if the new 1984 Cadillac is female.
These things are important. 

Professor Bear

Here we go with the "women can't drive a stick shift" bullshit.  Your misogyny appalls me.

Mardroid

Quote from: JamesC on 27 May, 2016, 12:19:17 PM
I want to know if the original 1969 Cadillac Ecto 1 was male and if the new 1984 Cadillac is female.
These things are important.

I'm not sexist but, but I believe both cars are male because the second isn't painted pink.

:lol:
* Ducks and rolls away from the thread *

TordelBack

His and hearse?

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Mardroid on 27 May, 2016, 02:04:49 PMI'm not sexist but, but I believe both cars are male because the second isn't painted pink.
OT, but I wish the colour pink would just fuck off for a few years. When you've seen a little girl visibly upset because she wanted her nails done in a kind of bright cyanish blue, but suddenly realised blue is "not a girl's colour" and she "should have had pink", you know the world is really fucking with young people's heads. (This was at a friend's barbecue last year. We of course all made it very clear that her nails were AWESOME and that every colour is a girl's colour, but even so she remained very fragile about the whole thing.)

Also: "his and hearse" officially wins the thread.

Steve Green

Interesting backstory to the whole pink/blue thing, which is a reversal of what it was before the 1940s.

http://jezebel.com/5790638/the-history-of-pink-for-girls-blue-for-boys

As it mentions here, it benefits makers of baby products who can potentially sell a product twice to a family if they have a boy and a girl and there are arbitrary colours for each.

IndigoPrime

Yeah, the colour thing is relatively new. In fact, anyone who lived through the 1970s and 1980s may remember kids toys back them were usually the same as adult equivalents (so you'd get little toolsets in tool colours, or cookers in cooker colours) or primaries. The pink/blue shit came later, to divide the audience. But it goes much wider, spreading into adulthood, which I don't think many people clock to the same degree. Regardless, it's horribly regressive. I wanted to smack someone who insisted our girl should wear pink because that's what girls wear. (She was in a yellow outfit with flowers at the time, which is hardly super-macho.) And when we go shopping, I want to tear down the displays of the shops that present walls of blue and pink (doubly so in a toy store where you have 'girl' versions of board games, including a plastic fucking Jenga with 'gossip' suggestions on each tile, and where Monopoly has been transformed about dressing up, make-up and going to the mall. Just ARGHHH).

Sorry. OT again. But this stuff really upsets me.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

When my sister had her second baby, she didn't want to know the gender*. Have you any idea how hard it is to find gender-neutral baby clothes? i.e not pink or blue? Almost impossible, that's how hard. Eventually found some cute penguin themed stuff, after looking in 3 different places. I got some funny looks walking into Mothercare by myself, but the staff were lovely.

*No small feat for someone who was a paediatrician (Now GP), had her ultrasound done with a blindfold on.
You may quote me on that.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Mister Pops on 27 May, 2016, 03:48:13 PMHave you any idea how hard it is to find gender-neutral baby clothes? i.e not pink or blue? Almost impossible, that's how hard.
Given that mini-IP is now 23 months old, I know very well how difficult it is. And isn't it absurd that it's difficult at all?

Mardroid

Oh no! What did I start?

I'm sure you guys know I was just being ironic, hence the second paragraph . I don't disagree with your points.

I do apologise if I offended though.

Anyway, back to the thread: I have no problems with their all being women as long as it all occurs naturally in the story. I did think a mixed team would be better... but then again the very fact that thought never occurred to me (and probably most viewers) with the first all male team up but it does with all women is a little worrying.

Main things: let it be a good story, well acted and generally entertaining.

I do really wish it was a sequel rather than a reboot though. Not in terms of a continuation of stuff from the original films necessarily (I'm happy for these ladies to take the roles) but something set in the same world decades later would have been nice. 

I, Cosh

Quote from: Tordelback on 27 May, 2016, 02:05:26 PM
His and hearse?
:hat doffing emoji:
We never really die.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Mardroid on 27 May, 2016, 06:18:59 PMI do apologise if I offended though.
Don't worry—I know you posted in jest, and wasn't offended in the slightest.

QuoteAnyway, back to the thread: I have no problems with their all being women as long as it all occurs naturally in the story. I did think a mixed team would be better... but then again the very fact that thought never occurred to me (and probably most viewers) with the first all male team up but it does with all women is a little worrying.
To me, that's the issue. No-one thinks twice when there are all-male line-ups in films, or the vast majority of roles are taken by men. That's just 'normal'. And yet in the majority of society, it's anything but. In Saving Private Ryan, you wouldn't expect gender balance, but in contemporary drama and thrillers, it's still typical to have a team of men and the token woman.

QuoteMain things: let it be a good story, well acted and generally entertaining. I do really wish it was a sequel rather than a reboot though. Not in terms of a continuation of stuff from the original films necessarily (I'm happy for these ladies to take the roles) but something set in the same world decades later would have been nice.
I agree with the former. As for the latter, I largely felt the same, but imagine it'd be just another stick to beat the film with, rather than giving it a kind of clean slate. Hard to know, really. Either way, I hope it's at least quite good, but fear unless it's amazing it's going to get nailed to the wall regardless.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 27 May, 2016, 07:55:07 PM
I hope it's at least quite good, but fear unless it's amazing it's going to get nailed to the wall regardless.

To anyone open to this reverse-polarity version of GB it's likely cleverer than we've yet to see; it won't have the tone or grainy style of the original and it'll look and sound like a Paul Feig film - which to a certain group of people of a certain vintage will always be unwelcome in their favourite franchises. These Ghostbusters may "have no dicks" but it's not the only thing that'll turn some away who just won't give it the light of day, but it's not really for them anyway.

Tjm86

I do wonder if the creators are not crowing over some of the crap that has been kicking around.  It has created a large amount of free publicity for a start.  Plus they have the added bonus now of expectations being incredibly low and a ready made excuse for any criticism.  Very difficult to see how they can lose now.

Ghost MacRoth

Quote from: Tjm86 on 03 June, 2016, 06:19:53 PM
Very difficult to see how they can lose now.

By releasing the film. ;)
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!