Main Menu

Crap you really don't need but still want.

Started by richerthanyou, 26 March, 2016, 07:48:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 07 May, 2020, 12:13:52 PM
I'm trying to convince myself that I don't need a first edition, first print, of H.G. Wells' 'The War of the Worlds'.

I haven't seen one in that good condition going so cheaply, only £2500, and I haven't used my credit card in a long time, and it is my holy grail of books, but what would I do with it, because it would just sit there next to my other books doing nothing, probably in a plastic case to protect it, and I'd have to buy those cotton gloves to be able to handle it, but then it would look so great next to my first edition of his collected sci-fi works, although it would only be me that would get to appreciate it, and what's the point in all this stuff if you can't share it, so I probably won't get it, but it's so cheeeaaappp, and a chance like this might never come up again, and want it so bad and and and and aaaaarrrrggghhhh!!!!!

In situations like this I'd ask myself a few questions:

• Can I afford to spend the money?
  • Will the value of the object increase over time* if I wish to sell it?
  • Can I keep the object in reasonable condition so that it doesn't devalue over time (no risk of damp, mould, fading, etc)?

*obviously investments can go down as well as up.

IndigoPrime

Colin YNWA

Oh the Jurassic Park T-Rex has been haunting me for a while. Luckily I only want it for the dionsaur and so have managed to resist.

wedgeski

I'm on a Lego detox, even sold some of my favourite sets, but fully in the knowledge that all I'm doing is making space for new and exciting ones down the road.

Funt Solo

I built this one over several days at the start of the year:

(Wife was correct: I don't really DO anything with it. It's just an ornament now.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

I was looking at this and thinking of using it as a starting point for an Ewok Village, but I need to do more with .Mos Eisley before I start a new project!

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: sheridan on 07 May, 2020, 01:32:41 PM

In situations like this I'd ask myself a few questions:

• Can I afford to spend the money?
My credit card is back at zero, so kind of.

• Will the value of the object increase over time* if I wish to sell it?
Very likely, yes - this is a much sought after book.

• Can I keep the object in reasonable condition so that it doesn't devalue over time (no risk of damp, mould, fading, etc)?
Probably, if I invest in an attractive airtight container and some soft cloth gloves for when I read it.

[/list]

*obviously investments can go down as well as up.

So what is the general feeling from the forum based on the answers above?

IndigoPrime

Will it bring you joy? I know that sounds pat, but it really does sit at the centre of a lot of this stuff. If a collection feels like a burden, it's time to offload it (assuming financial considerations aren't forcing your hand anyway, of course).

Everyone has their own triggers for things they love, and also relevant items they love the idea of owning. I recently bought all the Dark Horse Usagi HCs. They cost a fucking fortune. I now have various duplicates to offload AND the entire SC set. But this is one of my favourite comic series ever, and I felt like I had to have it. Fortunately, right now, I could also afford it. Also, I can sell these books for at least what I paid for them.

So I'm not all GO AND SPEND ALL THE MONEY, but if something is going to make you happy AND you can readily afford it, that seems like it could be a good option. If it's also an investment, that helps too. (HC comics seem pretty good for that. Lots of Image stuff, e.g, goes OOS and so people selling those make a tidy sum if they no longer want a book. Hence me thinking "fuck it" and going full HC these days. Much sturdier; nicer to read; hold their value rather than losing it in a bloody instant.)

sheridan

Quote from: Funt Solo on 08 May, 2020, 02:54:07 AM
I built this one over several days at the start of the year:

(Wife was correct: I don't really DO anything with it. It's just an ornament now.)

Now, now - I know something you can do with it - in about four months time you can replace all the green leaves with the autumnal ones (don't lose them!)

Colin YNWA

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 08 May, 2020, 02:28:49 PM
So what is the general feeling from the forum based on the answers above?

I have bits of original art that will stay tooked away and for long periods of time but when I get them out my heart sings. There's folks with a lot more than me. Has no practical value, I can look easily enough at other 'versions' of that art in context but I still love to have it.

I have lots of bits of comparitively cheap stuff and sometime think I'd be better off cashing all that in and going for a big, 'grail' piece. Won't do it anytime soon but this book sounds like that and if you're asking this many questions I get the sense (only the sense) that you'll regret it if the chance passes?

shaolin_monkey

You were right Colin.

I eventually thought "Sod it - you've got to take your joy where you can, particularly these days."

This is my literary Holy Grail. I can't begin to tell you the emotions I feel holding it.

IndigoPrime

I hope you're reading it while playing a first vinyl pressing of Jeff Wayne's album, or you're missing a trick. And congrats. It's a favourite of mine — and I now just realised I don't actually own a copy, IIRC. Eek. (I'm not going to get a first edition, mind.)

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 13 May, 2020, 05:09:47 PM
I hope you're reading it while playing a first vinyl pressing of Jeff Wayne's album, or you're missing a trick.

Great idea!

And cheers!

Colin YNWA

Oh wow, just wow.

Seeing you with it and the shit kickin' grin all over your face I'm so glad you did this. I mean that's easy for me to say as I won't get the bill BUT I get the feeling, just from that photo alone, that you know you've made the right decision and you must be chuffed you have.

Well done!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!