Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - Low Life vs. The Out Rd 5 Heat 8

Started by Colin YNWA, 04 August, 2022, 07:48:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Quote from: BPP on 05 August, 2022, 01:40:10 PM
2000ad has a ton of female characters both in titular roles and in important ancillary roles.

I don't really examine the gender of helmeted background characters nor would I jump to conclusions on gender from general body shape.
Oh, give over. It's pretty clear most artists are drawing themselves. Several have admitted as much here. The vast majority of people in Dredd are white, say, despite those demographics making no sense for the US 120+ years from now. And, sure, not every background character that presents as a man will be male; but really? I mean, I think Dredd is one of the most underrated strips in modern comics history, but defending it on the basis of any inclusivity would be extremely tough.

As for 2000 AD having a ton of female characters, only if that number stands in isolation. There are far, far more male characters. That's hardly surprising, given the comic's origins and target audience. But that doesn't change that basic maths.

Colin YNWA

Two great thrills in a right ol' hustle. I'm really not sure which way this will go and last day votes today could certainly swing it. Please just don't make it a draw needing a casting vote as I'm not sure which way I'd go!

BPP

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 05 August, 2022, 09:33:12 PM
Quote from: BPP on 05 August, 2022, 01:40:10 PM
2000ad has a ton of female characters both in titular roles and in important ancillary roles.

I don't really examine the gender of helmeted background characters nor would I jump to conclusions on gender from general body shape.
Oh, give over. It's pretty clear most artists are drawing themselves.

Oh give over, it's pretty clear most artists look nothing like a active street judge.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Funt Solo

Maybe kinda ignoring the actual words in my post there. I said that Nixon had an interesting arc. So we agree? I don't have access to my spreadsheets at the moment but surely there's no need for me to wheel out data that proves my point about even gender distribution in the comic. It's obviously apparent. A rare case of an objective point.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Well I'm almost relieved that I'm not going to have to make a call here. I love both these thrills and so making a casting vote would have been heartbreaking... but ultimately not tricky. Low Life is a superb story. Weaving a fantastic narrative without needing to take a direct narrative. it twisted into one of 2000ad's greatest moments, the surprise crossover Trifecta and while Dirty Frank became the lead its as much Aimee Nixon's story, the tale of how Mega City One and the justice system crushed her. Its a fantastic body of work. Its not however The Out which is simply put everything that's wonderful about the modern Prog. Imaginative, innovative and brave enough to do tale tells we wouldn't have expected in the Galaxy's Greatest yet feeling perfectly at home there revealing just why it is indeed The Galaxy's Greatest comic. The Out isn't just one of Tharg's best strips its simply put one of the best, most effecting comics out there and so I'm very glad I've not had to make a casting vote as

The Out

will be pulling votes out the bag in Round 6.