Main Menu

Did I Imagine It Or Not?

Started by SmallBlueThing(Reborn), 13 April, 2021, 07:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Of all the things I have had in my large and ungainly collection of absolute comics-related shite that has gone walkabout over the years, there is one thing that the absence of which rankles.

Not my beloved Marvel Human Torch torch, that my friend gifted me after a particular rubbish night "UFO spotting", when we went out on our bikes armed with said torch and a map of East Kent (we lived in Sussex).

Not my Captain Britain plastic badge. Not my 'Bring Back Blake's Seven' sticker. Not the various free gifts given away with Marvel weeklies during the seventies- despite having a pointless desire to reaquaint myself with the plastic planes that came with Rampage or, the cardboard push-along 'running Hulk wheel' that came with one of the first Incredible Hulk weeklies.

No. When I was at university in the early 1990s I had a Judge Dredd advent calendar of some sort that had choccies in it. I never opened it- and somehow, between then and now, it's gone missing. And now I wonder if it even existed.

Does anyone have one? I cant find any evidence on the internet, not even a photo. Does anyone have proof it is not a figmentof my fevered imagination?

SBT

The Legendary Shark

cellarofdredd.blogspot.com/2011/05/1995-judge-dredd-advent-calendar.html?m=1

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Fantastic! Thanks Sharky. I should have thought of Burdis's bulging bag of barmy bollocks. And yes, that is indeed it. So I must have bought it *while* at university- possibly in Ireland. I remember it going back to Plymouth with me in 1996. I wonder what happened to it?

SBT

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

And did anyone ever open it? Were the chocs Dredd shaped?

SBT

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

sheridan

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 13 April, 2021, 07:53:36 PM
And did anyone ever open it? Were the chocs Dredd shaped?

SBT

One of the responses on Burdis' blog was from somebody who opened it - though they only reported the low quality of the chocolates (common to most advent calendars and easter eggs).

I'll finish this with a quote from Burdis: "It's over a foot long and just over 5 inches wide."

Actually, no I won't - just saw that Burdis has an IMDB page - it's worth having a look at.

Dandontdare

A few years ago we had an infestation of mice in the flats, and every night I could hear scratching from the wall of bookshelves by my bed. There'd be nothing to interest them on the top of the shelves, just DVDs, models, statues, judge badges etc, and a lot of dust, and nothing edible at that side of the room, so I figured  they must be running around behind the books, chewing away to build a nest. I pulled every book and comic out and there was no damage anywhere. If there was nothing to eat and no nesting, what the hell where they doing every frigging night? Traps didn't work, scaring them off lasted about ten minutes and I was at my wit's end.

Eventually, I fetched a stool and examined the top of the shelving ... and discovered what they'd been coming back for night after night.

Amongst all the geeky memorabilia, in a sea of shredded foil was the remains of my irreplaceable Hi-Ex Hell Trek 2010 Souvenir rad-rations.  :(

Buttonman

Excellent! I still have my bar which is now worth marginally more! I'm guessing 20p in 2021 bawbees.