Main Menu

2000 A.D. in 2003.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 21 December, 2003, 01:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidXBrunt

The 2000 A.D. year in review - I'm hoping that other people can cover the rest of the year and we can get a proper review, but then again maybe this will fall flat on it's face and get ignored after this one post...

January - Progs 1322 - 1325 In comparison with the relaunched Meg which came out alongside it Prog 2003 might have seemed a little shallow but the stories that began there run in that issue make an impressive line up. Dredd vs Aliens, Sinister Dexter, Slaine, Nikolai Dante and Cabalistics Inc, arguably one of the strongest line-ups of thrills possible.

Of those strips Dredd was the obvious crowd pleaser. The master writer teamed with a new script droid and one of the most lauded of current artists telling the tale of Dredd battling one of cinemas most famous monsters? Could it fail? Well, it didn't. Though the episodes published in January were only the opening issues the strip got underway well and was very well recieved. Whatever fears the length of the story might have held suddenly 16 weeks of one tale didn't seem too long.

In comparison the return of Slaine seemed less certain to succeed. Initial complaints that the art was too murky and the story was just one long battle sequance seem justified and this strip didn't have one of the best beginings though it improved as it went on. From the first 4 episodes though, you wouldn't have guessed.

Sinister Dexter is always going to divide the audience. Those who like it enjoyed this dimension jump tale. Those who don't may have njoyed spotting guest cameos in the crowd scenes. Artist Ben Wilsher proved influential though. Am I alone in suspecting Siku was aiming for a similar style on 'Meatmonger'? Sin Dex featured less often this year and this was the first of the initial run to conclude. The ending, with an alternate version of Holy Moses looking for revenge promises a sequal...

Nikolai Dante took to the high seas in January with artwork of his usual standard from John Burns. Robbie Morrison would be busy working for D.C. for most of the year so this was our last sight of Dante for a while. Some people were a little disapointed that the tale didn't pick up the (literal) cliff-hanger from the end of the previous tale and judging by the confusion that greeted the latest tale this one wasn't that memorable. Perhaps Dante needs to be around more often to maintaing momentum?

Cabalistics Inc - The first tale of this now popular strip took place in the London Underground. As people got to know the cast that Gordon Rennie had created and adjusted to Dom Reardons black and white art the story gradually found it's feet and a loyal audience. The most popular new strip of the year, probably, started off strongly and seemed to have it's own style from the go. As the month ended with the possible killing of one of the cast things were looking good for Ethan Kostabis paranormal investigators.

Covers wise Kevin Walker and Greg Staples contributed strong Aliens covers that were later reprinted on the Dark Horse edition. Fraser Irving contributed a strong Zombie cover for Cabalistics and the only duffer amongst them was the Slaine:Moloch cover from series artist Clint Langley. Like the strip it was too dark to see what was there.

The year had got off to a good start but with one strip finishing and two more about to end would their replacements prove as popular?

Oddboy

Good review David - don't let this fall on it's arse! "MORE MORE MORE!" I cry!
Better set your phaser to stun.

jont

Are you sure your sirname isn't Bishop?

DavidXBrunt

Okay, I'll do Febraury as well, but someone else can do March...

February - Progs 1326 - 1329.

No sooner had Sinister Dexter concluded it's run than Slaine and Cabalistics Inc joined it in inter-story limbo. The double length Slaine hinted at interesting things to come, with the battle scenes giving away to character moments with Ukko being written out indefinatley and a sudden introduction of David Icke inspired oddness. As Slaine leapt to his death things finally were taking off. Cabals meanwhile ended the underground threat but left us with more questions than answers. How had Jenny survived her apparant demise? Was that really Ravne in the photo from the war? Was he a Nazi? And who was Der Teufel man? As the year progressed finding the answers to these questions proved very satisfying.

Dredd vs. Aliens continued apace with the threat and scale constantly being ramped up. The re-introduction of a past foe, Mr Bones, tied it nicely in with continuity and made the tale feel like it really should have been told in the weekly. The script may have been overly descriptive of what was happening but Henry Flints art work was just wonderful.

Dante continued to cross and double cross as the piratical adventure came to an end. The ending, with Dante joining his mothers all female pirate ship hinted at fun ahead, for the readers and Dante.

Starting in 1327 was the second series of the revivied V.C.'s. New series artist Anthony Williams took some getting used too after Henry Flints previous run, and the perhaps overly bright and overly C.G.'d effects also felt odd at first. Dan Abnett continued to tell the story in a series of vignettes, but wheras the previous run had had a sense of momentum and progression this felt like a series of unconnected incidents. The opening episode was perhaps the strongest.

Dom Reardon stayed around for 1357 joined by new sript droid Gary Wilkinson to tell a Terror Tale of a reclusive artist with a strong twist to the tale. Gary scored the double by also getting a letter printed in the same prog.

Also returning was Bec and Kawl with the original creators in tow. They started with a one off tale held over from the previous run, fondly remembered for the sly digs at a legenary droid. The next tale was a Matrix spoof and was lifted as ever by some memorably comic art work.

Tharg bought us another ticket to Telguuth in 1359 which was more of the same but with nicely suitable art from Jon Howard.

Finally Atavar II started. Few would have predicted that the adventures of Atavar would continue, as the reaction had seemed to be 'Wow. That was a long Future Shock' but here he was again, with a story that picked up some years after the conclusion of the original series. Dan Abnetts script was initially confusing but Richard Elsons art was as dependable as ever. A low key start for a series that would go on to surprise some readers.

DavidXBrunt

Covers - Clint Langley produced his second Slaine cover this year, and perhaps learned from his mistakes with a much brighter cover that properly displayed his detailed Slaine image. Anthony Williams produced a nice V.C.'s cover, and Andy Clarke a Dante cover that suffered from the curse of the boring background. Finally Simon Davis painted a cover for Bec and Kawl that managed to capture the characters well but seemed an odd choice, not matching the light tone of the characters and featuring an array of guest stars but none of the regulars.

Devons Daddy

this is superb stuff.
you should be jamies assistant here DXB.
the style you use would be a wonderful preface  to any graphic novel.

i am enjoying these reviews so much i feel i want to re read all the progs again.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Woolly

Bravo!

Its like TPO all over again!

Do continue sir...

Dounreay

Well since it is snowing and I'm on holiday I'll have a go at March. I make no excuses for my dire opinions or blatant favouritism, so be warned.

March Progs 1330 to 1333.

Covers - A good eye catching cover each week. Prog 1332 is a nifty horror film poster ho,age. But prog 1330 is a real "Pick me up and read me comic boy". Hats off to yer man Irving for that.

Dredd - Incubus runs right through March. Full of great action set pieces, Flint's art works well for this.  A number of interesting plot twists and characters such as Mr Bones, mechanismo, Judge Giant saved this from being a run of the mill creature feature. Or were they just padding to spin out what was in effect a creature feature?

Bec and Kawl - Ended the run in 1330. A good attempt at a difficult genre - SF humour.

VCs - seemed to lose steam a bit during March, taking most of the month to draw together threads in the plot while keeping up the quota of action. But there was enough to keep you reading. Anthony williams art is definately worth a second look.

Teleguth- Hmmm. Never sure if it wants to be serious or parody swords and sorcery. Manages to be neither in the process. The plots tend to be a bit samey across them all. But nicely detailed art from the Haward droid bring it to life.

Atavar - loads of space battles, shooting, explosions, strange aliens. This is what we want!So what if not much seems to be happening in the plot department. Actually not true, there is a plot in there but theres so many great space battles, who cares? Good value from Abnett and Elson.

Cabalistics - Starts prog 1331. A low key start to the story allows for us getting to know the characters more before the horror starts. Excellent B/W art from Dom Reardon. Interesting plot in that the demons and ghosties  take centre stage with  the humans relegated to being locked out of the cellar. Cabalistics is the highlight of 2003 for sure.

That about covers March, no real complaints in the provision of thrill power. Finally, mention must go to the ad for the Meg that appeared on the back of every prog except 1330. What a stunning image.

Tharg, yer too  good to us.