Main Menu

Scientology books just turned up...

Started by JTurner, 27 May, 2008, 07:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JTurner

I know some of you guys work in libraries, so I wondered if any of you also recieved some free L Ron Hubbard scientology books. We got a box of them (complete with Dewey classification instructions). They got our address correct, but the name of our library wrong, so it must have been a blind mail-out.

I'm pretty offended by blatant propaganda at the best of times, and perhaps it's just the current whiff of Scientology in the media, but I found it pretty creepy having this crap dumped on us.

When we can be bothered we're mailing it straight back (just making sure that Tom Cruise and co pick up postage costs).

Jim_Campbell

The incomparable Mr Brooker has posted a couple of design sketches and a very brief overview of new series 'The Vort' on his blog. Link below.

Can I just say: "Imagine Apocalypse Now with set dressing by H.R. Giger and you have a rough idea of what we're aiming for."

Fuck, yeah!

Cheers

Jim

Link: http://disraeli-demon.blogspot.com/" target="_blank">Vort!

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Peter Wolf

There have been more and more protests about Scientologists lately as there is a campaign to out them as being a cult and not a church and quite right as well.

They are very litiginous and try to sue anyone who calls them a "Cult" as they are desperate and havent really got any defense otherwise.They just want to kill free speech and stop the protests.

Because of this they have been attempting to bribe the metropolitan police with dinners etc to make them arrest protesters etc

I wouldnt even send the lunatic control freak books back to them either.I would chuck them in the recycling bin instead.

Tell them you are a 'Suppressive personality' .It makes them run a mile to get way from you like vampires dont like garlic.

Thats the weak point with all Scientologists.

Because they are a hive mind organisation and basically drones the organisation forbids them to talk to or even be anywhere near a 'Suppressive Personality'.They cant even sue you if you tell them you are an SP as its still an association that they cant have.

Its easy.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Dandontdare

these anti-scientology protestors recently picketed the Manchester scientolgy office - I was amazed to find Deansgate full of V-for-Vendetta lookalikes, but they were getting a fantastic response from passers by.

Peter Wolf

A suppressive personality if you disregard their own waped definition of of it or even ignore the description since they made it up themselves is just someone who cannot be controlled by an individual or the organisation.Someone who just will not do as they are told.

Thanks a lot Tom Cruise.You are the best/worst thing that has ever happened to Scientology in PR terms anyway.

He has been making a film about the attempted assasination of Hitler that i am interested in though .

JimBob

"Because of this they have been attempting to bribe the metropolitan police with dinners etc to make them arrest protesters etc"

Ah, so thats why Tom Cruise bought me a kebab, mystery solved.  

Radbacker

did you know I've actually read a L Ron Hubbard book.  One of the Sci-fi ones (i know its all Sci-fi but these were sold in Science Fiction part of the store) one of the books in series of 10 (Target Earth or something) I was young when I read it but I do distinctly remember it having some strange idea's in it regards corporation, Governments and people.  Programing I tell you programming (from what i remember it wasn't really too bad a read)

CU Radbacker

Queen Firey-Bou

whats the actual difference or difinition of a cult versus a church..??

appart from pure subjectivity if you happen to believe in one & not the other... or rather believe in the doctrin of one, i have no problem believing in the existance of cults & churches, and theyre all welcome to belive in spagetti monsters, the force, the ancient atlantean beings,jewish carpenters or whatever, as long as they keep it out of schools, politics & my face.

arent the scientologists a bit of a cliched target ?

( i've a feeling this thread could go real bad now )

IndigoPrime

"whats the actual difference or difinition of a cult versus a church..?"

Not much, but Scientology is more overtly business-oriented than, say, Christianity. The difference is that - in the UK at least - auditing is not seen as being analogous to worship. In essence, Scientology's in it for the money, whereas other religions aren't entirely.

"arent the scientologists a bit of a cliched target ?"

Perhaps, but a justifiable one - see the links below:

http://theunfunnytruth.ytmnd.com/
http://www.xenu.net/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Freakout
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_Game_(Scientology)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Snow_White

Mike Carroll

> When we can be bothered we're mailing it straight back (just making sure that Tom Cruise and co pick up postage costs).

Well, I certainly wouldn't suggest adding half a dozen house-bricks to the package because that would greatly increase the weight and therefore the postage cost. I mean, that would be unfair.

Peter Wolf

LIARS and CRIMINALS

Hypocrites

Fascists

The Church of Giveusyermoneyology.

They only want to be recognised officially as a Church so they can get tax relief.

And they also think its fair game to harrass and intimidate those who speak out against them asto them its fair game.

I hate hive mind organisations .

THey have also been attempting to remove any content that is critical of them off the internet or from search engines like google.

Richmond Clements

LIARS and CRIMINALS

Hypocrites

Fascists

The Church of Giveusyermoneyology.

That's pretty much all of them, though.

Mikey

Well,if they sent you free books,maybe you could put them on the shelves?Some people might be interested in reading them...could they be so powerful as to influence anyone who reads them to become scientologists?

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

paulvonscott

Our library along with many others recieved the 'documentary' having a go at the BBC Panoroma show (and the guy's incredible fuck up when he lost it).

My view is that the library is there as in information resource, not to distribute religious material.  Or religious material disguised as something else which is so often the way with these things.  However that's my own personal view, and not that of any libraries I work for and I have no control over such matters.

Haven't seen any yet, I could ask about.

El Spurioso

Interesting one, this...

Is there someone ("they") who decides what should be in libraries, and what isn't appropriate?