Main Menu

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Started by Goaty, 06 November, 2010, 09:03:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Stephens

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 09 November, 2010, 06:55:12 PM
Quote from: radiator on 09 November, 2010, 06:00:29 PMIt's the only (UK) games mag written for adults.

I hear that quite a lot, but I'm far more into GamesTM. Similarly its aimed at adults, but without being quite as po-faced about it. I used to buy both but found Edge was just sitting unread most months. Their covers are very nice though!

Any boarders playing on 360? Figure with the game being as popular as it is we could probably get a decent forum game going sometime.
Yeh, If I'm going to buy a mag these days its either GAMEStm or XBOX/PLAY GAMER (both only 2.99 each, bargain fans) Keef, this spy plane. I thought it was just a version of UAV, enabling you to see the enemys location?  :-\
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Darren Stephens on 10 November, 2010, 04:11:38 PM
Quote from: Keef Monkey on 09 November, 2010, 06:55:12 PM
Quote from: radiator on 09 November, 2010, 06:00:29 PMIt's the only (UK) games mag written for adults.

I hear that quite a lot, but I'm far more into GamesTM. Similarly its aimed at adults, but without being quite as po-faced about it. I used to buy both but found Edge was just sitting unread most months. Their covers are very nice though!

Any boarders playing on 360? Figure with the game being as popular as it is we could probably get a decent forum game going sometime.
Yeh, If I'm going to buy a mag these days its either GAMEStm or XBOX/PLAY GAMER (both only 2.99 each, bargain fans) Keef, this spy plane. I thought it was just a version of UAV, enabling you to see the enemys location?  :-\

Hmmmm, you're probably right, that would explain it's disappointing offensive capabilities. A friend unleashed attack dogs at one point which sniffed out the enemy, that was pretty awesome.

Been playing the single player today and a bit torn on it. I'd been recommended to play CoD on the hardened difficulty, and am dying a LOT. Not too keen on it's action scripting methods, it essentially just spams you with guys from all sides until you move forward far enough to trigger the next event. A few truly great moments so far though. Can't say the story has gripped me at all though.

GordonR

This is really nice little touch - some hidden Easter Egg retro games in the main menu.  Good luck getting out of that damn chair and to the games. 

http://tinyurl.com/38e88s8

radiator

QuoteNot too keen on it's action scripting methods, it essentially just spams you with guys from all sides until you move forward far enough to trigger the next event

Agreed. There's none of the perfectly pitched combat tactics of Halo. In COD it always feels as if some hidden bastard is shooting at you, so there's no sense of pace to the combat and it's just frustrating as you don't ever really feel in control of a situation - all you can do is memorise the locations of enemies by trial and error. The confined levels also give the game a feel of an on-rails shooter - there's never a chance to just explore, or even an illusion of exploration.

Darren Stephens

I don't think I ever did finish the single player storys in either Modern Warfare or World at War. The latter was quite good, but it had the  frustrating habit of your character sticking on random parts of scenery. The only way to get off would be to grenade yourself!  :lol:
                                       CLICK^^

Goaty

Oooh 2nd mission; I like that sort of [spoiler]Predator/Termintor 2! [/spoiler]

Darren Stephens

Really liking the online aspect of this game. It's not as 'kill streak crazy' as MW2...apart from those bloomin' RC-XDs! They should make those available at a higher kill streak. 3 kills and its yours. No wonder there are so many zooming about the place.... :P
                                       CLICK^^

Radbacker

meh, another MW game really.  Boring single player gameplay(I just hate the way they pump bad guys at ya, might aswell be an on rails shooter) but I do like the story, so its getting a play from me (something MW2 didn't).  Multiplayer just feels like more of the same, very granade/tube spammy (dont ya just hate it when the game starts and 5 seconds later grenades starting raing on your spwn point!).  I do like the credit weapon purchase system feels good to be able to avoid buying those sniper weapons.
I'd say this will get a week or two off me then I'll be back to Bad Company 2 (which has a new expansion out soon, Vietnam setting, 4 completely new maps and damn Huey's flying in packed with sodiers).

CU Radbacker

Steve Green

I can see why they keep following the path that sells so well - but I'm really getting beyond bored with these being so heavily scripted and a on-rails.

All the polish in the world can't disguise that the depth of gameplay hasn't changed much in years.

I thought Far Cry 2 was a much braver attempt to innovate - being able to set fires, wind direction etc. even if the mission structures were limited.

COD and MOH are all very hollow in comparison.

mogzilla

Quote from: radiator on 10 November, 2010, 05:18:45 PM
QuoteNot too keen on it's action scripting methods, it essentially just spams you with guys from all sides until you move forward far enough to trigger the next event

Agreed. There's none of the perfectly pitched combat tactics of Halo. In COD it always feels as if some hidden bastard is shooting at you, so there's no sense of pace to the combat and it's just frustrating as you don't ever really feel in control of a situation - all you can do is memorise the locations of enemies by trial and error. The confined levels also give the game a feel of an on-rails shooter - there's never a chance to just explore, or even an illusion of exploration.

exploration?ya cant beat fallout!

strontium71

Finished this last night on Veteran , just mopping up the remaining cheevos. Still can't get the three deaths,one bullet one even though I've done just that on Zombie mode  :(
...because I hate you.

Darren Stephens

CLICK^^

Keef Monkey

Devons Daddy

was holding it for christmas, but decided i could not wait. slightly disappointed, script does not grab me, single player is now where near MW or MW2.
bit on rails,trigger points to easy to see coming, not innovative enough, live is decent, but do feel the maps could have been downloaded unto MW2 and that would have kept me happy.

had hoped for far more, treyarch(sp) are not quite able to reach the levels they needed too to meet the standard set by MW I&II, its a bit world at war standard i feel.

I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

radiator