Main Menu

Wii U - did anyone actually bother getting one?

Started by shaolin_monkey, 01 October, 2013, 10:22:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

I got one a few months back and so far, apart from one game, I have found it a bit 'Meh'.  I've looked at teh titles available or due for release, and there's not much coming out.  It seems Nintendo are having trouble getting third parties to develop games for it.  That's a shame, as loads of interesting things could be done with the controller/TV combo.

That said, I'm having massive fun with Monster Hunter Ultimate.  It's a title that strips away all the usually questing stories, and basically says 'there's the giant monsters - go fk 'em up, carve their skins, and make new weapons and armour.  Now there's a bigger monster - go do the same!'.  A lot of the fun is in the online play, which sees you and a squad of three others all hacking away at these beasts.  It's a bloody hard game - does not hold your hand at all.  Totally satisfying though.

Did anyone else get a Wii U?  What have your experiences been?

Goaty

I think it the curse with Wii, get it one, play it once, and not for long time!

JamesC

I'm really tempted to get the Wind Waker pack but I'm not sure I can justify the expense.
I'd probably end up playing Wind Waker, whatever new Mario game comes out, a few virtual console classics (although they're very overpriced imho) and that would be about it.
If I could pick one up for half price it would be worth it but £250 on what is always going to be a niche console seems a bit steep.

Link Prime

Yeah, picked one up on Amazon when they were going cheap (think it was STG 160 for an 8GB version).
So far have only played 'Darksiders 2' on it, which was actually quite enjoyable- I'd recommend it to any Zelda fan.

I've pre-ordered Wind Waker from Game.co.uk (we don't have any Game stores in Ireland anymore  :'(), as I had to get that Ganondorf statue.

Apart from that, I'll just be using it mainly for any big Nintendo release (Zelda, Mario etc.), just like I did with the original Wii.

radiator

No, not even remotely tempted. The Wii was ingenious and - like the N64 - sold itself, but I just can't fathom the selling point of the Wii U. It's so weird, and seems to pitching to a niche that doesn't exist - like a Barcode Battler or something.

I was burned by the Wii somewhat (yes, I probably have an infection ha ha zzzzz) - and I was one of the people defending the it for a long time after launch, even as all of my friends turned against it. I do think that the standard console setup of TV, control pad interface is starting to get a bit stale, and welcomed an attempt to shake things up. But for me, it never came close to delivering on the promise of the tech - imo they massively oversold the potential of the motion controls with those pre-release ads.

I do worry for Nintendo. I love them dearly, but I feel like they're increasingly becoming old-fashioned and out of touch - and I'm talking here about things like the price of their Virtual Console games as mentioned above - what planet are they living on? Also their reluctance to commit to online. My first thoughts on getting a 3DS was how old-fashioned, clunky and ugly the presentation and interface was compared to iOS. While I respect their determination to not go with the crowd - and I certainly don't think they should try and compete with Sony and Microsoft in the graphical arms race - I worry they'll eventually be left behind unless they innovate.

If I were in charge on Ninty, I'd abandon the Wii U and make their next system something like the Ouya or Gamestick - a low-cost, low-powered, portable, online-focused console, and put the emphasis purely on knocking out quality software - lots of shorter, experimental, mid/low priced games - no more physical games at all, just a dedicated online shop with new games and hundreds of classics available at reasonable prices.

JamesC

Quote from: radiator on 01 October, 2013, 11:16:04 AM

If I were in charge on Ninty, I'd abandon the Wii U and make their next system something like the Ouya or Gamestick - a low-cost, low-powered, portable, online-focused console, and put the emphasis purely on knocking out quality software - lots of shorter, experimental, mid/low priced games - no more physical games at all, just a dedicated online shop with new games and hundreds of classics available at reasonable prices.

I agree with pretty much all of this.
For a start, Nintendo are one of the few companies that make accessible, fun games for kids (in the traditional console sense at least - at the moment kids games are well catered for on IOS and Android).
I think I was about 6 when I started playing games on the Spectrum. No 6 year old needs a PS4 or an Xbox One and they don't need a WiiU either.
I think a simple, easy to use device that lets you play console games on your telly for a reasonable price and with no in-app purchases would be great.
Sega have been knocking out Megadrive TV games for years. Unfortunately many of the great Megadrive games have licensing issues that prevent them from being re-released. Nintendo don't have this problem. Imagine a device that costs £70-£80 and lets you play all the old Mario and Zelda games, Mario Kart, Punch Out, Metroid on your TV and all for a couple of quid (at most) each. I can't think of a better Xmas pressie for a 6 year old kid!     

Tiplodocus

Me and Tiny Tips are pricing one up for Christmas - mainly because you can't get Mario and Zelda titles elsewhere.

We reckon we can get the 32gb Premium Pack and
- Zelda - Windwaker
- Pikmin 3
- Rayman Legends
- Zombie U
- Batman Arkham City
and one other that I can't remember
for around £320 quid without even looking too hard.

But yeah - Nintenod really do need to rethink. I love my 3DS but the price of the games belongs to a different (pre-IOS) generation.

Our Wii still gets regular use - you can't beat a Wii for getting other members of family engaged in daft gaming. They'll always pick up a remote and feel invited to play tennis or dance where as they feel excluded and confused when handed a a PS3 or XBOX controller).

But tellingly "proper games" (your Assasin's Creed, Red or Dead, Heavy Rain, Drake) tend to be played on the PS3 or XBOX.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

radiator

QuoteFor a start, Nintendo are one of the few companies that make accessible, fun games for kids

I think it's more accurate to say that they're one of the few companies that can make fun, accessible games for all ages. If someone conciously sets out to make a 'kid's game' - the likelihood is that it will be shit.

I also think it's a mistake to assume that kids will just play any old rubbish. Kids are on the ball - and speaking from my own experience will be discerning and seek out quality titles even from a young age. Look at how popular Minecraft is - all of my young (under 10 even) relatives are obsessed with it - and that is not a simple or undemanding game.

A lot gets said about iOS and Android game pricing, but I also definitely think there's still a place for 'premium' software of the kind Nintendo make. No IAPs, no FTP, no ads, no filler, no pay to win. Even young kids can see how shallow and repetitive most mobile games are. They have their place, but there's no substitute for a quality experience. Having said that, I do think Nintendo need to up their game - produce genuinely excellent titles, be more picky about what they release, and lower prices - especially where the VC is concerned.

JamesC

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 01 October, 2013, 12:40:09 PM
Me and Tiny Tips are pricing one up for Christmas - mainly because you can't get Mario and Zelda titles elsewhere.

We reckon we can get the 32gb Premium Pack and
- Zelda - Windwaker
- Pikmin 3
- Rayman Legends
- Zombie U
- Batman Arkham City
and one other that I can't remember
for around £320 quid without even looking too hard.

But yeah - Nintenod really do need to rethink. I love my 3DS but the price of the games belongs to a different (pre-IOS) generation.

Our Wii still gets regular use - you can't beat a Wii for getting other members of family engaged in daft gaming. They'll always pick up a remote and feel invited to play tennis or dance where as they feel excluded and confused when handed a a PS3 or XBOX controller).

But tellingly "proper games" (your Assasin's Creed, Red or Dead, Heavy Rain, Drake) tend to be played on the PS3 or XBOX.

Well that sounds like a fairly decent deal but Wind Waker's a remake, Pikmin is a fairly light puzzle game, Rayman and Batman are over a year old and ZombieU was a flop.
I'm not saying any of these are bad games but the £320 price tag only sounds like a good deal in comparison to other current gen consoles. And frankly, it can't compare.
You could probably pick up an old Gamecube with the original Wind Waker (and OOT master quest), the original Pikmin, Mario Sunshine, Rogue Leader, Resi Remake or Resi 4 and Metroid Prime or something for less than half the price and it would be a comparable dose of fun.

JamesC

Quote from: radiator on 01 October, 2013, 12:55:39 PM
QuoteFor a start, Nintendo are one of the few companies that make accessible, fun games for kids

I think it's more accurate to say that they're one of the few companies that can make fun, accessible games for all ages. If someone conciously sets out to make a 'kid's game' - the likelihood is that it will be shit.

I also think it's a mistake to assume that kids will just play any old rubbish. Kids are on the ball - and speaking from my own experience will be discerning and seek out quality titles even from a young age. Look at how popular Minecraft is - all of my young (under 10 even) relatives are obsessed with it - and that is not a simple or undemanding game.

A lot gets said about iOS and Android game pricing, but I also definitely think there's still a place for 'premium' software of the kind Nintendo make. No IAPs, no FTP, no ads, no filler, no pay to win. Even young kids can see how shallow and repetitive most mobile games are. They have their place, but there's no substitute for a quality experience. Having said that, I do think Nintendo need to up their game - produce genuinely excellent titles, be more picky about what they release, and lower prices - especially where the VC is concerned.

Yeah, I really meant suitable for kids not just for kids.
And you're right about Minecraft - a brilliant title for all ages.

Recrewt

Yup, agree with the previous comments - the Wii U costs too much and it seems to be trying to aim at the same market as the PS3/X-Box.  I mean, one of the launch games was that ZombieU one which is rated 18.  The first Wii was great fun and I played some amazing games on that.  The console market is largely aimed at the 18+ range so it seems strange that Nintendo don't focus on the younger/family player more.  They nailed it with the Wii but it seems a bit more confused with the Wii U. 

I disagree about kids games always being rubbish.  Games like lego star wars are aimed at kids, can be played by all ages and are fun.  The games just need to be good.  I think there is an opening in the gaming market for the 8-14 sort of age range.  Beyond that age, most parents will let their kids play CoD but I'm really surprised companies like Activision haven't taken their CoD engine and created an FPS where you shoot something like aliens with green blood, drop the swearing and get a lower age rating game.  Parents are happy that their kids are not beating up Ho's in GTA and junior has a fun game to play.

Tiplodocus

We were trying to pick titles that would give us something a bit different in terms of control - from what we'd read, all of the games we went for (Windwaker aside which is a game we love and it just looks gorgeous in HD) were meant to make good use of the new controller and/or be the best versions available.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

radiator

I'm not a Minecraft fan personally, but it is testament to the fact that kids really don't need everything to be simple, unchallenging and sugar-coated for them to get into it.

What has been a bit disappointing to me recently is how easy the Mario games have gotten. I kind of got bored of NSMB2 and SM3DL because they weren't challenging my skills at all. And if you do die more than twice on a certain section they start chucking free power-ups at you (which I refused to use). I really want them to make an 'Evil' Super Mario game that is old school levels of hard!

I guess it's all part of a wider problem in games at the moment - developers are so scared of the player getting stuck and losing interest that they make their games incredibly easy - so much so that you kind of  start to wonder if a game poses no challenge at all, and there is no central mechanic of risk and reward and negligible punishment for failure, then the player can just start to feel like a monkey pushing buttons at the correct point, and then what is the point of it all? There's no easy answer - obviously games can't be as cruel and punishing as they were in the 8 bit era.

QuoteGames like lego star wars are aimed at kids, can be played by all ages and are fun.

Funnily enough - perhaps unfairly - I would point to the Lego games as being a guilty of the above. They're just overly easy, switch-your-brain-off, bland, formulaic collect-a-thons in my eyes.

Link Prime

Quote from: radiator on 01 October, 2013, 01:19:25 PM
What has been a bit disappointing to me recently is how easy the Mario games have gotten.

You might have improved since you were 6!

Seriously though...that second 'Battle Rock' stage in Super Mario Galaxy was near THE DEATH of me!

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Recrewt on 01 October, 2013, 01:06:11 PM
Beyond that age, most parents will let their kids play CoD but I'm really surprised companies like Activision haven't taken their CoD engine and created an FPS where you shoot something like aliens with green blood, drop the swearing and get a lower age rating game.  Parents are happy that their kids are not beating up Ho's in GTA and junior has a fun game to play.

Yep, that games exists - Halo!  My kids play Halo Reach with me occasionally. 

By and large I pretty much agree with all the comments re the Wii U here.  I only have three titles for it - ZombieU, which I got bored with pretty quickly, Nintendoland, which uses the motion sensor as part of the control scheme, which makes it a pain in the arse to play, and the aforementioned Monster Hunter Ultimate.  That latter game was the sole reason I bought the console (and I traded in shitloads of stuff to make it affordable) but was then surprised at the lack of quality stuff out for it, given it has been on the shelves for quite some time now.

I'm thinking I may well trade it in once I've exhausted Monster Hunter, but TBH that game is so bloody big, and the permuatations of armour and weaponry so varied, that I'm probably going to get 100's of hours of gameplay out of it.

If it wasn't for that I'd say the console was a bit of a fail, which is sad considering the new control scheme could have been a game changer.