Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

I watched two films last night, 'The Ides of March' and 'The Terminator'.

The first was an interesting one-off, showing the backstabbing, paper-thin idealism and general hypocrisy of a presidential campaign. I enjoyed it, but it'll probably be the one and only time I watch it.

The second was, of course, a classic I have seen many a time, and never fail to enjoy.  If you ask me, it's the only good Terminator film in the entire series. Even the shonky stop frame animation still carries over well, in this CGI age, and the whole 'is it dead or not?' thing going on at the end really added to the whole premise of 'it will not stop'.

JamesC

Two films today: The Road and Prometheus.

The Road was very, very good but quite grim. I thought the little boy was excellent - usually American kids in films get on my tits. Does anyone know the relevance of the stumpy thumbs?

Prometheus was a bit frustrating - it seemed to dangle carrots of interest and excitement in front of the viewer and then steer itself in a totally different direction throughout! More thoughts on the dedicated thread...

Tiplodocus

IN THE NAME OF THE KING (Director's Cut).  - Aah, so that's why Uwe Boll gets the piss ripped out of him so much.  Bland, bland, bland with some terrible stuff added just to spice it up a bit.

Sorry, that should read:

More like "IN THE SHIT OF THE KING".
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

HOO-HAA

On a bit of a Fulci bender at the moment: watched CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD and THE BEYOND (for the first time!) back-to-back and loved them! To call these zombie movies is missing the point, I feel: they're much more like ghost stories to me, and, from what I read, it was this that Fulci set out to create. Whatever your take, these are fun and wonderfully engaging movies.

SmallBlueThing

They are indeed, mr haa. Two of the finest zombie/ ghostie films ever made. Especially The Beyond, which is a film i use to separate the spods from the decent folk.

SBT

El Chivo

The Grey

Really good, Liam's always good, and as someone mentioned, some of the wolves are a bit 'American Werewolf..' which can never be a bad thing

Chi

Keef Monkey

Repo Men, I think it might have been rubbish but I still enjoyed it. That happens occasionally for some reason.

Spikes

Quote from: JamesC on 08 June, 2012, 05:59:58 PM
The Road was very, very good but quite grim. I thought the little boy was excellent - usually American kids in films get on my tits. Does anyone know the relevance of the stumpy thumbs?

Brilliant film - even though it rips off The Last American,  ;)

http://thepoplartree.wordpress.com/2010/06/06/a-few-thoughts-on-missing-thumbs-in-cormac-mccarthy%E2%80%99s-the-road/
Dont think a explanation was ever given, though there are hints. More a case of drawing your own conclusions. Bit like, what exactly was the nature of the disaster that had befallen the world?

Richmond Clements

To wash away the taste of Prometheus, I went to see a the restored version of Hammer's Dracula last night. It was awesome to see on the big screen.
Same cinema is showing The Plague of The Zombies in a couple of nights time - I may go to that, too.

HOO-HAA

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 09 June, 2012, 05:54:32 PM
They are indeed, mr haa. Two of the finest zombie/ ghostie films ever made. Especially The Beyond, which is a film i use to separate the spods from the decent folk.

SBT

Yeah, rewatched THE BEYOND last night (2nd time in the one week!) with Ms Haa. It's a wonderful flick. That scene on the bridge with Sarah Keller's character and Dickie the dog coming into view is breathtaking.

HdE

Well, last week, I found The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo for less than a fiver in Tesco and decided I'd give it a whirl. A week later, I'm still thinking about the movie.

I absolutely loved it! Gritty, well staged, superbly acted... I was thoroughly absorbed. So much so that I just ordered the complete trilogy in their extended TV format (basically six 90-minute TV movies that were re-cut into the theatrical movies we all know and are sick of hearing about).

Come to think of it, I wonder if you can still get the original 'Insomnia' on DVD..?
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

GordyM

Quote from: El Chivo on 09 June, 2012, 11:44:07 PM
The Grey

Really good, Liam's always good, and as someone mentioned, some of the wolves are a bit 'American Werewolf..' which can never be a bad thing

That's the one I last watched too. Really, really enjoyed it but the ending was kind of frustrating in that I desperately wanted to see what happened next. I appreciate why they ended it there, but still - the next bit would've been AWESOME.
Check out my new comic Supermom: Expecting Trouble and see how a pregnant superhero tries to deal with the fact that the baby's father is her archnemesis. Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986rnlgk0itfz/Supermom_Preview_Pack.pdf/file

radiator

Moonrise Kingdom.

I liked it overall - certainly a big improvement on Wes Anderson's previous live-action film The Darjeeling Ltd, but it kind of teetered of self pardoy for the entire running time.

It was a sweet story and I liked the two leads, though the boy looked much younger than the girl to me and it took a fair bit of a stretch to believe she'd be attracted to him. Good to see Bruce Willis in something decent for a change - it's easy to forget how good he is playing subtle and subdued. I loved the atmosphere and location too.

Would watch again, but still can't say I've truly loved an Anderson film since The Royal Tenenbaums.

A couple of walk-outs in the cinema, as seems to be the usual with Anderson.

Professor Bear

Quote from: GordyM on 14 June, 2012, 12:51:13 PM
Quote from: El Chivo on 09 June, 2012, 11:44:07 PM
The Grey

That's the one I last watched too. Really, really enjoyed it but the ending was kind of frustrating in that I desperately wanted to see what happened next. I appreciate why they ended it there, but still - the next bit would've been AWESOME.

You didn't watch the post-credits scene, then?

Richmond Clements

The Grey for me also. Really really loved it. A superb examination of grief, love and loss of hope. As well as having some great action and all that.