Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: JamesC on 01 August, 2016, 07:09:30 PM
Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 01 August, 2016, 06:58:49 PM
Crimson Peak

Too short a story in too long a film. Pretty, though. Gorgeous to look at but nothing to hold the attention.

This could be used to describe every film Guillermo Del Toro has ever directed!
Eeehh I dunno, Pacific Rim is about the right length for a popcorn live action anime explosion fest...i'm rather a fan of Pans Labyrinth as well...

JamesC

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 01 August, 2016, 07:49:41 PM
Quote from: JamesC on 01 August, 2016, 07:09:30 PM
Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 01 August, 2016, 06:58:49 PM
Crimson Peak

Too short a story in too long a film. Pretty, though. Gorgeous to look at but nothing to hold the attention.

This could be used to describe every film Guillermo Del Toro has ever directed!
Eeehh I dunno, Pacific Rim is about the right length for a popcorn live action anime explosion fest...i'm rather a fan of Pans Labyrinth as well...

Don't get me started on Pacific Rim again! Pan's Labyrinth was pretty good though,  I'll give you that.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Pacific Rim is best summed up by its (honest) trailer

Pacific Rim
Lock up your spoons!

The Enigmatic Dr X

And this is the best Honest Trailer, in my view:

Home Alone
Lock up your spoons!

Zarjazzer

Zootropolis -bloody fantastic.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Hawkmumbler

Hey, western movie fanatics, hows The Homesman? It's up on Amazon Prime and i've been meaning to watch it for years.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Zarjazzer on 03 August, 2016, 10:28:13 AM

Isn,'t it just. I will never trier of saying how great that movie is.

TordelBack

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 06 August, 2016, 09:06:55 PM
Quote from: Zarjazzer on 03 August, 2016, 10:28:13 AM

Isn,'t it just. I will never trier of saying how great that movie is.

Agreed. Love it more every time.

futureimperfect

Ghostbusters

Great movie. Cool effects. Good casting. 8/10

I loved all the cameos. So many of them too. I actually preferred the subtle jokes to the loud shouty in your face ones. I'm not really sure what all the internet fuss was about regarding the film.

Jim_Campbell

I missed Zootropolis, unfortunately. Amid all the spring/summer blockbusters, I think the film I've enjoyed most so far this year has been Jungle Book. Of upcoming movies, I quite fancy The Magnificent Seven, and I have high hopes for Frubious Cumbersnatch's Dr Strange.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Frank

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 06 August, 2016, 08:38:43 PM
Hey, western movie fanatics, hows The Homesman? It's up on Amazon Prime and i've been meaning to watch it for years.

The Homesman's great, although it hinges on a plot development you'll either welcome as a brave rejection of narrative convention or feel cheated, and that the film is laughing at the emotional investment you made in its central story.

The only problem I had was trying to distinguish Tommy Lee Jones's ruin of a face from the blasted scrub and pock marked mesa of the film's landscape. He has become the West.

Jones's Western directorial debut, The Three Burials Of Melquiades Estrada, is even better - and couldn't be more topical. Both Jones's Westerns exhibit a strong feminist/liberal bent; he's like the Bizarro Clint Eastwood.

Steve Green

IAMTHESYSTEM

Batman vs Superman. Well it started okay but really got confusing with flash backs that were in fact dreams and a clunky story line that really didn't gel for me at all. It also had CGI overload with it's antagonist Lex Luther coming across as a spoiled teen brat though his thesis -it takes a monster to deal with one seemed sound motivation. His creation however  turned out to be a giant turd monster who seemed to have wandered in from LOTR. The actors were fairly convincing Henry Cavill as Superman, Ben Affleck as Batman and Gal Gadot as Wonder woman despite the stilted dialogue and po faces but it was a mess of a movie really. Worth a watch but don't expect to much from it plot wise.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Frank

Quote from: Steve Green on 07 August, 2016, 10:50:24 AM
Hylary?

She's hylarious in the movie.

dweezil2

Gave this a gander again last night, hadn't watched it in a while but its' power really hasn't diminished since the film's release over 40 years ago.

Anyone who claims that Connery can't act should experience his mesmeric performance in Sidney Lumet's The Offence.

It's slow at times and talky, betraying it's theatre origins on occasion, but Connery, with an equally brilliant performance from the late Ian Bannen make the film uterly obsorbing, offering up an acting masterclass.

Lumet's unobtrusive direction and the exemplary performances culminate in a riveting and nihilistic depiction of one man's desent into madness and violence.

Stylistically the last film to portray Britain in such an unflattering, bleak, and almost alien like way, figuratively and literaly in that case, was Jonathan Glazer's, Under The Skin-an equally absorbing piece of film making.

Lovely transfer of the print on the Masters Of Cinema Blu-ray too.

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo