Main Menu

Completely Self-absorbed Top 100 Comic Runs You Need to Read

Started by Colin YNWA, 29 October, 2023, 03:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

I remember liking Kano a lot at the time. It was creepy and intriguing. As for you excising the 2002 series from the above, my brain appears to have done the same more generally. I don't remember anything about it at all.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 05 February, 2024, 09:04:45 AMAs for you excising the 2002 series from the above, my brain appears to have done the same more generally. I don't remember anything about it at all.

Its best that way!

Quote from: broodblik on 05 February, 2024, 08:05:40 AMThe first two books of Bad Company was awesome but as time progressed the follow-ups quality deteriorated with each new book. The last Bad Company Terrorists was maybe a bridge too far and the series should have already been at the sunset and not waiting to ride towards it.

I do think that's the commonly held view of things.

Blue Cactus

Nice write-up as always Colin.

I didn't see the Kano story at the time but read it in collected form years later. I still really like it - such a strange, dream-like atmosphere with this sense of trauma and existential dread underlying everything. Of course it's very different to the early stories but I enjoy it just as much. The most recent couple of series really did lose me, however - I should probably read them all in one sitting sometime as the plot felt so scattergun week by week in the prog.

Barrington Boots

Another good mini-article Colin and a spirited defence of latter Bad Company!

For my money Bad Company, like Star Wars, started off with a perfect couple of installments and then gradually messed itself up to its own detriment.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Hawkmumbler

I'll chime in for the defence of more contemporary Bad Company, its good stuff all around!
I've never read the '02 run so likely one to miss out on, eh? Pity the phonebook is out of print, one I never got around to and one I hope to see get a reprint.

Another nice write up Colin!

2000BC

Excellent write up as usual Colin.

I picked up a Joblot of random issues of Best of 2000ad Monthly from Ebay in December last year partly because it contained Bad Company (issues 77 & 78 contain book 1, 101 & 102 book 2 if anyone is looking).  It's been at least 25 years since I last read it.  I remember enjoying the first two books a lot when I read them as a youngster, so am interested to see how it goes when it gets to the top of the pile.  Lots to think about after reading your review.

I read Kano in the original progs, remember liking it as well even though it was different to the original books. 

BadlyDrawnKano

Given my username it's not going to come as a surprise that I thoroughly enjoyed your write up of the series Colin, it was packed with a lot of fascinating insight and reminded me of why I love it so. I don't actually only any physical copies of it any more which frustrates me an enormous amount, but I've got the Amazon page bookmarked and I think if I haven't stumbled upon it in a charity shop or cheaply on Ebay by the end of the year I'm going to bite the bullet and pay £80 odd quid for the phone book edition.

IndigoPrime

80 quid seems terrifying for that book. I'm slightly surprised it's not been reprinted. FWIW, someone's offloading the two Hachette books for a total of 40 quid and postage on eBay, which nets you the same stories. (Still overpriced, mind.)

BadlyDrawnKano

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 06 February, 2024, 03:53:10 PM80 quid seems terrifying for that book. I'm slightly surprised it's not been reprinted. FWIW, someone's offloading the two Hachette books for a total of 40 quid and postage on eBay, which nets you the same stories. (Still overpriced, mind.)

It is a lot, and there's not many series I'd even consider spending that much on, but I'd really love to own it. Thanks for the heads up about the Hatchette books as well, I've got a lot of outgoings coming up over the next few months (myself and many of my friends are all turning 50 this year which is going to be quite expensive!) but I am tempted.

13school

Am I right in thinking the final Bad Company story hasn't been collected anywhere? Is it in the Hatchette series?

IndigoPrime

Not at this point. The Hachette series basically carved the phone book in half and gave it to us in two separate HCs.

Hawkmumbler

Be nice if we can get a lot of those early phonebooks reissued, I appreciate there isn't the demand for deluxe, rescanned and retouched editions of Bad Company, Ace Trucking, or Meltdown Man (among others) that there may be for Stronty or Nemesis so those big phonebooks where kind of perfect for what they needed to do.

IndigoPrime

Indeed. Although I imagine there are some tough calculations going on at Rebellion HQ regarding various books that should be evergreen and those that get reprints, because the last thing they want (especially with rapidly rising costs) is to end up sitting on a thousand copies of Meltdown Man or similar.

Colin YNWA

Yeah it must be tricky for Rebellion to try to balance the titles and stories in it oh so deep back catelogue that justify being perpetually available. The team are all fans as well as office folks and so the struggle to see through the fan reaction to 'This is a classic and needs to be on the shelves' with what is actually commercially viable, would horrible for me!

Colin YNWA

Brace yourself Indigo Prime, I think you might want words with me for this one!

Number 105 - Y the Last Man

Keywords: Post apocalyptic, Brian K Vaughan, Makes you cry, gender

Creators:
Writer - Brian K Vaughan 
Art - Pia Guerra and Jose Marzan Jr.
Colours - Zylonol and others

Publisher: DC Comics under Vertigo imprint

No. issues: 60
Date of Publication: 2002 - 2008

Last read: 2017

Second Brian K Vaughn entry, this time teamed up with Pia Guerra to being us the tale of

Copyright - them what created it...

The high concept of the series is one that's been played with a lot in stories over the years. In an instant 50% of the mammalian population dies, not just humans, but all mammals. The 50% (or thereabouts) all have Y chromosomes, those that are biologically of the male sex (as opposed to gender which is the wider social construct that is a lot more varied). There are two known exceptions both living in the same flat in a major US city (I want to say New York but I honestly don't remember and it doesn't matter!). Yorick is an amateur escape artist and magician in his early twenties. Ampersand is his pet 'helper' monkey. Why they survive is a major clue (in my mind) to the origins of the 'plague' that kills the male 'sex' which we will return to.

The series then follows these two as the world and society rebuilds without anyone from the male sex. The appearance of Yorick of course has a serious impact on that process. Oh and his mum just happens to become President of the United States as a result of the disaster. So there's that as well!

Before I go any further I want to discuss points of debate or controversy that surround this series and explain from the start why they weren't barriers to me, but why some may disagree. And I will note I'm happy to be educated if it will help my interpretation of these issues.

Firstly the panels above make clear that the series tackles gender as opposed to biological sex. I remembered this panel from my first read. Firstly as it uses some horrible language, this is based on character, I'm not claiming the use of the term inappropriately is okay. Brian K Vaughn has form here. In Paper Girls (111 on this list) he used inappropriate language BUT appropriate within character, i.e. the character would say it even though it's not okay. I'm fine with that, in fact I applaud  it, though with the caveat I would hope in that context it doesn't put folks off reading it. As I recall there are other references to the idea that being the last 'man' on earth is a clumsy use of the term, though I can't remember specific examples. This series is almost 20 years old as well and the honest truth is even that relatively short time ago we weren't as educated or conscious of the dismissal of the trans community. So while the reflections on this topic may not be as developed as they would likely be these days, the fact they are acknowledged was relatively progressive for the time. So for me, a cis male this gets a pass. The fact that I'm a cis male means that is the least important pass it can get, but the only one I can give.

Secondly there are arguments that the sudden death of all mammals of male sex wouldn't be a disaster and I find that just daft. There is absolutely no way any 50% of the mammalian population suddenly dying wouldn't be a devastating event for society from any perspective, emotional and psychological, infrastructure and economics and instantaneous calamity. The fact that the 50% of the human population would all be involved in activity, driving, flying, maintaining infrastructure etc  would mean that the immediate impact would be massive. There would be numerous accidents and other disastrous situations that would lead to further, significant loss of life.

The fact that it's all mammals of male sex would exaggerate that for all the wrong reasons. We do live in a society that gives massive advantage and therefore power and influence to males, this would mean that immediate damage to society and its structures would be greater. The impairment on the first stages of rebuilding would disproportionately increase. That's not right, but it is a fact of the patriarchal world we live in. Add to that the emotional trauma and impact on those that survive hindering their ability to start that reconstruction and of course the event would be massive and devastate the structures we all come to depend upon.

So really I'm not sure about this argument, that it's insulting to say the death of all male sex mammals, would be so disastrous holds any water at all. It's utterly ridiculous in fact. This is also something the comic deals with in very interesting ways. If anything it supports the idea that the male bias in our cultures is a rubbish thing in the first place, we can't deny however it's still a very significant thing.

Let's move on from those 'controversies'. They don't impact on my reading of the story, though as I have said this is as a cis male so I do need to listen to the counter arguments and certainly acknowledge them even if I don't agree.

The comic and the world it builds, or we see rebuilding tells a fascinating tale on many levels. There are a number of key focuses the series uses. Firstly, rebuilding. The way an almost exclusively female society will approach not on the events but building back, the different pressures and drivers this would put in place. If the 'male' world has failed so dramatically and let's be honest in so many ways is failing without any horrific catastrophe would it make sense to build back based on what's been done before? As humans we have an incredible ability to defend the status quo, change is hard so many just try to do that, return to what there was before. Other groups reject that option and see the change to build a different, reimagined society. 

Greed, power struggles so familiar today don't simply get wiped out and this is used to great effect in Y the Last Man. Pressures and tensions inherent in rebuilding a shattered world order make for natural drama and conflict. Add to that our POV character is the one surviving human of male sex and questions and opportunity they bring further escalated this. Over its 60 issues there's a lot of excitement and adventure to add to the other questions raised. It's thrilling stuff.

A second focus and this is another way having Yorick as our led is very important, it is a primary concern in rebuilding to sustain the human race, and indeed other mammalian species. The lack of members of the male sex and all Y chromosomes, so sperm in storage has been wiped out as well, mean that the existence of the human race is on a clock. Ways of reproducing, however that can be done are an immediate priority and this provides another key strand of the story. And links to the next.

As well as looking forward the series asks the question what was behind the plague, why did 50% of the population suddenly die? Is understanding that part of the route to restoring a new world? How did Yorick survive and that is surely key to understanding this puzzle. Brian K Vaughn is smart enough to not provide a clear answer to this. Different groups and fractions all find an explanation which means their needs and drivers.

A key theory is held by a group called the Amazons - based in the ancient culture to the extend they too cut off one of their beasts to make firing a bow easier, that believe the discovery of cloning - as detailed in the very first issue, has done away with the need for those of male sex. They believe that this breakthrough, made by a person of female sex, has allowed 'mother nature' to strip away her greatest error and most terrible creation, those of male sex.

There are other spiritual answers, each religion comes up with a theory that adheres - at least to their reading - to the dogma of their religion. For example some christians believe what was seen was the rapture and males ascended to heaven. Those without Y chromosomes were left on earth as punishment for original sin.

Other more mythical reasons are alluded to. In the very first issue Agent 355, a secret service type working for the American government and a central character throughout the series, seeks out an ancient amulet for reasons that are never fully made clear (or that I recall at least). It is suggested this amulet may provide a magical explanation for the mass death event. The explanations are manyfold and the reader is invited to find the one that makes the story work for them. Brian K Vaughan understands that the reader will bring their own needs and understanding to any story so he very smartly allows them room to build their reading of events from what he shows.

SPOILERS ABOUT TO START - the next chunk will be pretty spoiler heavy. So please skip the next few paragraphs if you plan to read the series and don't want to be spoiled. I will keep things vague but will detail:

The reasons given for Yorick surviving and my theory based on that.
An emotionally powerful moment from the end of the series - which explains why I love this series as much as I do BUT does give away some key bits... and might make you cry! though this will be after a spoiler free break!

I will clearly mark when it's okay to read again if you wish to avoid all this.

There is the idea that some sort of chemical attack, biological weapon or other scientific explanation is behind the plague. I bring a scientific background to this series and I'm an atheist so he's where I land. It's what I bring with me. There are clear clues though. Yorick is believed to be immune to the plague due to the fact that he owns Ampersand and its Ampersand (his monkey if you remember) who has developed the actual immunity. Yorick survives as he picks up immunity from dealing so closely with Ampersand, cleaning up the poo that he flings around and the like. So this strongly suggests that indeed there is a biological element to this.

Now it's not a plague or virus like Covid as the horror strikes in an instant. Everyone dies immediately. So it's not 'natural' there has to be some trigger, some human developed elements that allows the mass death to happen in a single moment... that seems far-fetched and points to a more mythical element... so even though I have an answer and it's clear and in the text, the specific still leaves me with questions and I love that!

SPOILERS ENDED for now

For all the ideas and concepts you get to play with while reading Y the Last Man, for the action and adventure as with all of Brian K Vaughan's work it's really character driven. It seems criminal that in a series dominated, for obvious reasons by female characters I've talked most about Yorick, who is an interesting lead, he is a nice down to earth chap, annoys lots of folks, but isn't anything exceptional, which makes him an exceptional POV character I have to say. Damn even when aware that he's the last human of male sex he still thinks tracking down his love Beth is the most important thing!

BUT Vaughan and Guerra draw on a cast of others who really make this comic work. The aforementioned Agent 355 is a violent, grounded delight. Beth, Yorick's lost love - she starts the story on a trip in Australia (see above). Hero Brown Torick's sister with whom he has a very... complex... relationship as she is an Amazon and many, many more. It's full of characters you love and love to hate. The series is rich with characters that drive the intricate plot and events forward.

This is helped by Pia Guerra and Jose Marzan Jr's art (a few fill-ins aside) throughout the series. Now I'm not going to say that their art is a major factor in why I like this comic so much. It's not, it's competent and solid, not astonishing. What it does really well is capture characters and their interactions. Everyone is distinct and easy to read. The storytelling flows perfectly and it's the type of art that 'keeps out the way' that allows the story to rule and I really appreciate that.

This write-up is becoming longer than I planned (that often happens when I come to a series I'm not sure I have much to say about, as I dig in and research I remember so much that needs to be said and things run out of hand!) BUT there is one very significant thing I must say before calling time. And I'm about to turn spoilers back on!

Before I read a single issue of this series in some countdown of the best comic moments or other (possibly over at Comic should be good?) I read a three page scene from the end of the series without context, without knowledge of the characters in the scene and it made me weep like a baby. I found it so powerful. Having read that I immediately determined to track the whole thing down and when I read it, the power of that scene formed an already positive view. Those three pages meant I went into this one already predetermined to love it and while nothing else quite matched this, it didn't disappoint.

I'm going to present those three pages here, as I read them. If you want to avoid spoilers - though it's quite a self contained scene, but does give away key parts of the ending. I'd say read them however, I did and it didn't impact on my enjoyment when I read it all, but only fair to warn folks. If you do want to know why this makes this list and there are a lot of reasons, it is a compelling high concept thrilling adventure. It's full of ideas that make you think. Its plot twists and turns and is utterly compelling. It's driven by its wonderful rich cast of characters.

But the real reason is held in the three pages I present below. If you want to be spoiler free skip to the end of those... but I say read them, just have some tissues handy!

Where to find it

This one is easily found in various editions.

I have the five hardcover deluxe editions (I may have bought them from someone here, sorry if so as i don't remember???) and they are great. They are available in softcover at a lower price as well. There are now three absolute volumes that are meant to be really nice too. Or an Omnibus.

All of these are available digitally easily enough from the normal places.

I suspect the original floppies won't be too hard to track down either with a little patience. Fill ya boots however you like basically. 

Learn more

Obligatory Wikipedia page

Queer Comics Database does carry a warning about regressive treatment of transgender issues.

Near Mint Conditions has a nice overview of the different formats available. And a nice three way discussion that has one mega fan and two readers new to the series and it provides an interesting contrast.

The Guardian has a nice review.

This one isn't hard to find out about. Do a search - just remember to add 'comic' to 'Y the last man' as there was a short lived, not well received telly series which can dominate returns. Anyway there is way to much to list here but plenty of insight to be found.

What is all this?

Conscious that this is becoming a long thread and if you're wondering what the heck you've just read and can't be arsed (quite sensibly) to search back to find out I'll link to my opening posts that try to explain all this.

What this all came from

And of course a nerd won't do a list like this without setting 'Rules' / guidelines

Some thoughts on what will not be on the list.