Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Not sure if I've said it recently, but I love Space Spinner 2000.  Long may you spark my progstalgia circuits.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 09 July, 2023, 10:22:15 PMNot sure if I've said it recently, but I love Space Spinner 2000.  Long may you spark my progstalgia circuits.

Thanks so much!

In our thrilling two hundred and ninety-ninth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 908-911 of 2000AD, covering October 1994. This time we'll reach finales in ABC Warriors and Robo Hunter, meet Red Razors, and continue with Button Man and Judge Dredd: Wilderlands!

We're right on the edge of episode 300! We'd love to hear what your favorite Space Spinner 2000 moments have been. Please comment here or send them to the show email or on our social media! Woo! THREE HUNDRED!!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Leigh S

May I add to the general love for SpaceSpinner - once again my subscription prog is AWOL, but the only thing I'm checking regularly for is the new episode! 

JayzusB.Christ

Yayy! Been looking forward to this for ages. Conrad Leiden:  the Ted Lasso of British comics :)

P.S. My favourite moment was when your little English boy character suddenly became a big English man to reflect the ageing readership, while simultaneously dropping a hint about a major plot twist. 'OI LOIKE TITS NAHH. OI LOIKE JUDGE DREDD WIV HIS SKIN BURNED OFF.' Still makes me laugh!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

AlexF

Favourite Space Spinner moments:
the realisation and running gag about Dan Dare being a genocidal maniac
Deep abiding love for the first 2/3 (4/5?) of Return to Armageddon
Actual tears being shed over Skizz
Commitment to both DreamWeaver and Nosferatu "WRITE HIS NAME IN BLOOD"
Breakneck-speed recounting of The Grudgefather

The end-of-year specials during the 90s when you tell Fox how much more bad stuff and how little good stuff there is to look forward to :)

Colin YNWA

Happy 300th. Long may the space keep spinning.

Favourite moments, well I love your takes on stories that go against commonly held opinions. That spin on our long in the tooth views on their heads. So even in episode 299 you both stand by Red Razors a long derided story, so bad in the last episode even the artist - the brilliant Nigel Dobbyns - was flicking it the V's as it exited. You defend plenty of other stories that 'we' classically don't like and I love that.

Other, more specific favs - your take on Summer Magic really made me reappraise a story I've read many times. Exactly what I want this podcast to do.

Old One Eye long held (sadly correctly) as 2000ad's early years strongest female character.

Appalling accents when so accurately reflecting the desire of young readers (I am that reader so often!)

and of course ever bit of the beautiful chemistry between our two hosts. Your love of the Prog shines through, and makes this a great listen. But the Podcast raises above others as your love for each other picks thing up even more and makes it head and shoulders above others.

Here's to 300 more - and the life long friendship that will make them a joy to listen too.

sheridan

Because of my particular vintage I can't help but think of Prog 300 (my first forays in to collecting back progs was in that range - when buying near to 325 back progs seemed out of the reaches of sub-ten year old me, my goal was to get every prog from 300 onwards).  So I'm fully expecting a mini-copy of Spacespinner2000 number one - though we already had the redux episode, so maybe that'd be a bit pointless...

Anyway...

Congratulations on reaching episode 300!
Personal high points:
The unconvincing child accent - don't ever take lessons from a voice coach or accent teacher - we like it just the way it is!
Hot takes on old stories:
Drawing parallels between Anteater from Ant Wars and Wang Chi in Big Trouble in Little China - they're the true protagonists of the stories, even though Villa and Jack Burton think they are.
Old One Eye being the only strong female character in the early progs until Nessie joined some time later (Death Planet promised another, but this was promise was immediately pummelled in to the ground).
Dan Dare's genocidal tendencies.
Tom Tully specials (a villainous hand at the controls while watching the protagonists on a video screen).
The John Wagner specials - Deep South redneck accents and CB lingo.
Giving us recaps of stories in the lamentable nineties - reading them so that we don't have to!  (though I will get around to them, some day).

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: AlexF on 24 July, 2023, 10:16:55 AMActual tears being shed over Skizz

Hey, I missed that one. I was a few years late to the party with SS2000, so still have a lot of them left to listen to.

Eamonn Clarke

Personal favourites fromm 300
The Danger Acid from Invasion.
The growing hatred for Walter the Wobot,
and, inexplicably, the Green Gross Code Man?

And strangely for Fox getting stuck in the loo. Don't know why, but loved that story.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 26 July, 2023, 03:38:19 PMPersonal favourites fromm 300
The Danger Acid from Invasion.
The growing hatred for Walter the Wobot,
and, inexplicably, the Green Gross Code Man?

And strangely for Fox getting stuck in the loo. Don't know why, but loved that story.

Just listened to the one yesterday.  My word, what a clusterfunt.  I also love that Conrad has discovered Gregg's - as I say, he's the Ted Lasso of comics.

Also I'd like to mention how Conrad describes Slough Feg's would-be victory speech as a cross between Sympathy for the Devil and Roy Batty. 'Nailed it' doesn't even come close to how much he nailed it.

AlexF

The Monarch

no ones mentioned the greatest thing of early space spinner ever?

quack quack volgs

The absolute barmy way they covered killing time which is kinda fitting for the nature of the strip

the running joke/threat of our wonderful hosts secretly being robots who hate the way robots are treated in 2000ad and in perticular their hatred of the lisping prick whose name must not be named

their slowly crumbling positivity while trying to talk about some of the true stinkers of the prog rick random the dead skin pretending to be robohunter in the 90s and big dave are perticular highlights

also a bit full of myself with this one but allowing me onto the judge dredd annual 1991 to talk about how i got into 2000ad and my love and sudden and inevitable heartbreak of what happened to johnny alpha

strontium190

Where are the boys? I can't seem to find their episode 300 and they look like they've dropped off the face of the earth. Hopefully everything is ok.

The Monarch

i waited a long time for new where eagles dare i can wait a bit longer for new ss2k i just hope the boys are ok

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Monarch on 11 November, 2023, 08:42:45 AMi waited a long time for new where eagles dare i can wait a bit longer for new ss2k i just hope the boys are ok

Conrad was on Mega City Book (well Film) club the other week and promising a return soon. I mean we've heard it before but fingers crossed it'll happen and more importantly he seemed well and happy.