Main Menu

No Daleks in new Who!

Started by Art, 02 July, 2004, 05:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdmobius

With all respect to those who wanted the Daleks in the new series, how were they going to undo the continuity conundrum left by "remembrance of the Daleks"? Didn't the hand of Omega or Rassilon or some other Timelord go off and destroy Skaro? And didn't Davros, now a Dalek himself, blow up after realising he was the last of his species? Bit of a tricky situation for the Daleks, even although they were resourceful pepperpots.

I know there are many ways around the continuity problem but all are a bit "Dallas" to me. I'd hate for the Doctor to wake up to see Davros coming out from the shower as if nothing was wrong.

It's going to be better without the Daleks.

Floyd-the-k

time being what it is, continuity is never much of a problem.
  The question is, what are the Daleks going to do now? Big Brother? Security for the Rolling Stones?  Graceful retirement to `Dun Exterminating`? Novel?
  Maybe I`m not sufficiently understanding of the Terry Nation estate`s problems, but wouldn`t it be nice if the BBC invented a monster called The Doileks or something else they can get away with and really annoyed the TN Estate?

yours determined to think nice thoughts.....http://www.salute.co.uk/war_of_the_daleks/images/7.jpg">

Leigh S

I'd hazard a guess that as its a programme about time travel, any past continuity about the death or otherwise of the Daleks isn't the worlds greatest hurdle... and in all truth, they need to bury all that 80s continuity as deep as deep can be if they want the show to play to any sizeable audience - with the first mention of Ace/Hand of Omega/more than a timelord , viewing figures will drop faster than a sky diving myrka...

DavidXBrunt

how were they going to undo the continuity conundrum left by "remembrance of the Daleks"? Didn't the hand of Omega or Rassilon or some other Timelord go off and destroy Skaro?

Yep. In the terms of the Earth history of the series Skaro was destroyed in 1963. But they invaded en mass in 2163, so there are obviously Daleks out there that survived the destruction. You can assume they had conquered and colonised other worlds and with the destruction of their original home world they adopted another central base.

And didn't Davros, now a Dalek himself, blow up after realising he was the last of his species?

Nope, Davros' spaceship was destroyed but if you look closely there's a small object that leaves the ship before it's destroyed. Escape craft? The thing that blows up when it realises it's alone is the lone surviving Dalek on Earth, not Davros.

Bit of a tricky situation for the Daleks, even although they were resourceful pepperpots.

Well, the only people who are going to remember this are the fans. There are explanations in the novels that tell us why the Daleks continue, that'll do for the fans. No-one else will give a tinkers cuss about things that happened in an episode from 16 years ago.

I know there are many ways around the continuity problem but all are a bit "Dallas" to me. I'd hate for the Doctor to wake up to see Davros coming out from the shower as if nothing was wrong.

If the Daleks appeared it'd be a crowd pleasing gesture. It'd be crazy to say they can't appear because of an episode seen by a minority of people. Just bring them back and be done with it. And I speak as a fan. Just don't let continuity affect something that could be a huge bonus for the series.

Oh, and FJ, there are masses of people planning to bung the series on-line as soon as it's broadcast. You could see it within hours of me, if you were of such an intent.

Mr D

When I was little, Dr Who got early Sunday showings on the beeb. However I saw sufficiently young to be put off by the grainy style and complicated plots. The only things I ever enjoyed? DALEKS! They were SO fantastic!! Since I've been at an age where I might appreciate Dr Who, it's just never on. Its a real shame this new series won't have Daleks because they really were a fantastic creation - and I'd have loved to see them in it. I'll still watch though - hopefully it'll convert me to Who.

Trout

I'm with PVS.
Al's worrying me a great deal.

When you meet him, he's such an earnest chap, so it's weird to see him going daft on the Net.
Al! Take the blue pill!

Similarly, PVS is pretty cheerful in real life.

Anyway, Daleks...

I'll watch it. I don't care if it's got Daleks in.

I just want a good story and a bit of science fiction fun and excitement.

At least without Daleks we get away from the gags about their inability to go up stairs. (Yes, yes, I know they can, now.)

- Trout

Al_Ewing

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

paulvonscott

Al seemed as criminally enthusiastic and energetic in real life.

If only I could drain his life force, I'd become a god...

Devons Daddy

The question is, what are the Daleks going to do now?

they had a cameo appearance in the wonderful
looney toons back in action.
it could be the true reason for the BBC dropping them.
the fees where just to high for the BEEB to be able to have them in the show.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

ARRISARRIS

...now i may suspect this is tosh because i read it in the Sun, but one of thr reasons the Nation estate didnt allow thier use was because the BBC wanted to make them too scary... GAAAAAAAHHH!!!...

Art

I'm earnest?

It's very important, that.

Eric Plumrose

Not to mention deadly. So I won't.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Trout

No offence meant, Al.
You just seemed kind of thoughtful; the sort of person who thinks before he speaks, then makes a point well.

But I don't fancy you. Don't get the wrong idea.

In fact, this is all a bit too nice of me... Hmmmm...

I hate you all, you bunch of wankers.

Ah, better.

- Trout

Richmond Clements

I hate you all, you bunch of wankers.

Souldn't that be a fist, or maybe palm, of wankers?

Dudley

Circle of wankers?

...damn boarding schools...leave you with images you just can't, um, shake...