Main Menu

No Daleks in new Who!

Started by Art, 02 July, 2004, 05:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulvonscott

Terry Nation had nothing to do with the design of the Dalek, in effect the main reason there were so popular.  That as some poor sod ywho was ripped of by Nation, got a few hundred quid for his troubles and that was it.  If they';d looked like the Krotons we wouldn't even be mentioning them today.

Nation estate must be daft as they'd make a lot more money selling plastic daleks if they were on the telly.

Get rid of the daleks and create something new.  And no more big finish style WICM's.

Rose: Doctor we're being attacked by an apathy Monster

Doctor:  Ah, who cares

Al_Ewing

That is the best monster ever.

Daleks can be a bit creepy on account of their terrifying inexorability. Cybermen rock. Give them a redesign to make them even more meaty and shiny and put even larger lumps of hard metal on the sides of their heads and send them on a twatting spree. And have them team up with a Blofeldy mastermind!

"I control the world's reserves of gold, Cyberleader! When you invade, gold prices will soar - and we will be the richest men in Earth and Space!!"

"Yes Blofeld. Emotionless laugh. Ha. Ha. Ha."

"Not sho fasht, Shyberleader!"

"Emotionless gasp. Bond."
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

House of Usher

STRIKE !!!

DavidXBrunt

As 'light on their feet New Adventures' types squarely includes Russel T. Davies I'm glad they'e in charge of the series. He's an established proffesional with a great T.V. C.V. and a love of all things Who. There is no-one who could do a better job of bringing back the series.

If there's no Daleks then that's a minor shame but nothing more.

Oh, and it was Ray Cussak who designed the Daleks, Paul, and I agree that without that genius design then Terry Nations scripts would have sunk without a trace along with the whole series, in all likelihood. ?250 is nothing in context.

Eric Plumrose

If 'dalek' is indeed Serbo-Croat for 'it's only Cusick's pepperpot design that Nation's estate has control of and shamelessly exploits without recompense to said designer despite his verbal agreement with Terry' then perhaps all that's required is Segal's mechanical maniacal spiders.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Thread Zero

Oh, and it was Ray Cussak who designed the Daleks,

Ray Cusick, actually.

?250 is nothing in context.

?250 and a gold Blue Peter badge...

VampiraJen

GOOD!  the daleks are naff, cheesy and belong in the dr who of yesteryear.  instead of focusing on the old monsters they should look at new ones, a fresh start.

Max Kon

yes new ones. like cyberasasins, and other cyberfolk.

Bico

Meh.

A certain amount of reinvention is necessary for any franchise.  I personally think that the bbc is only remaking Dr Who to help shift the merchandise that's not been selling as well as it used to.  It just makes good financial sense - a modest investment of a few million quid over a few years gets you a show that sells hundreds of millions of pounds of spin-off tat around the world for decades.

Bagsy me the remote-controlled K-9!  That little laser-vision no-legs-having motherfucker rocks!

Floyd-the-k

Daleks are naff, but so is Dr Who. Not having Daleks won`t make it any groovier (or less naff).
  I agree that hanging out for editorial control makes the Terry Nation estate seem a bit silly..is that code for `more money`?
  Exoliate! thanks, I`ll be chuckling about that all day

DavidXBrunt

Erm...I sincerely doubt that the revenue the Beeb gets from Who merchandise is worth a multi-million investment in order to get a filip on the books and shiney disks income.

I have to say I'm mockably and laughably optimistic about this. I believe that they're making the series because they can make a decent stab at it. I believe that the people in charge of decision making are telling the truth when they say they liked R.T.D.'s proposal and thought it would be popular with the audience. I believe that the people involved are the best possible people for the job. I believe that Christopher Eccleston will make a great Doctor. I believe we're going to get 13 weeks of television unlike anything else on the box. I believe that the right decisions will be made for the programme by the right people. I believe that we're at the start of something great, and all that's needed now is for the 'ooo eh oooh' music to start, for Doctor Who - Episode 1 'Rose' to be broadcast, and the magic'll be back.

And I, for one, can not wait.

Al_Ewing

Who's doing the theme tune? is it Orbital?

I want Steps to reform and do it, with special lyrics.

Doctor Whoooooo, Do-ctor Whoooooooo,
Who? Who? Who? Who? Doooooctor Whoooo... oo-ooo, oo-OOO!!
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Sails through Tiiiiiiime and Spaaaaaaaaace
He liiiiiiiives in a box that's
Loooooooooooaded with clocks and
Chaaaaaaaaaanges his face -  FAAAAAAAAAACE!
Doctor Whoooo, Doctor Whoooo,
Dooby Dooby Dooooooby Doooooo,
It's Doctor Whoooooo!
(Sound of huge explosion in SPACE.)
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

paulvonscott

I wish someone would tranquilise Al, he's too damn excitable, it makes me nervous.

Can't we all just be miserable?

Floyd-the-k

Hey Dxb, I`m optimistic too. No reason why it can`t be great, daleks or not. You get to see it before I do. I envy you.

CapKlep

Ah, i loved ht Daleks as a kid but i think i can leve without em now.
Bring back the Robots of Death....they were cool.

Cheers,
Adam