Main Menu

Kim Newman

Started by JimBob, 17 June, 2002, 02:49:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimBob

Amyone who enjoyed Necronauts and League of Extrodinary Gentlemen really should check out Newmans Anno Dracula trilogy. Similar concete with real and fictional characters interacting. The best pulp fiction in years. Although the third part was lost on m,e as my knowledge of Italian cinema is limited tp spaghetti westerns and Lee Van Cleef.

paulvonscott

Huge fan of Kim Newman when he isn't on one of his sadomasochistic sexual jaunts (Avoid... Jago, Bad Dreams and Orgy of the Blood Parasites).

Read...

Anno Dracula, Bloody Red Baron, Judgement of Tears (AKA Dracula Cha Cha Cha)

His four dark future books for GW (OOP)

Drachenfels and Beasts in Velvet (much as I hate to say it for sale in Gaymes Workshoppe)

He really is bloody good, I heard 2000AD once approached him to write a strip and it never panned out.  Shame, his characters are a joy to read and I've alsways wanted to see him write a comic strip.  I reckon he has what it takes.

When I read LOEG I immedietly thought of Anno Dracula.  Think of Anno Dracula as From Hell crossed with LOEG, crossed with Dracula.  A lazy comparison but a damn good read.

2000AD Online

Hic.

The first time I became aware of Kim was wayyyy back when he was doing the film reviews for Channel Four Daily. With one Garry Rice.

Never did find out whether or not it was Garry Rice, former 2000 AD scribe and chum of Milligan, Ewins, and McCarthy.

Uuuuuurrrrrp.

rius

"Drachenfels and Beasts in Velvet (much as I hate to say it for sale in Gaymes Workshoppe)"

Why do you hate to say it, pray tell?

GordonR

Interested earthlets should also be aware that Dan Abnett's Gaunt's Ghosts and Inquisitor novel series for Games Workshop are also well worth reading, even if you don't know anything about the games.

RandomMoFo

Gordon Rennie's also done a couple for them. Zavant is the better of the two but Execution Hour is pretty good as well. You'd never guess it's a debut novel.