Main Menu

Ultimate Not Wagner Tournament - Winner DAN ABNETT (+ what's next?)

Started by Colin YNWA, 02 July, 2020, 10:25:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 03 July, 2020, 03:03:42 PM
Hang on, will try again. Had this problem the other day.

SBT

You are a good human being - thanks Steev

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Maybe, maybe, maybe we could have a poll between Abnett and Wagner, but excluding Dredd work?
You may quote me on that.

Greg M.

I think that approach ends up a bit unintentionally patronising to Abnett. "We know you can't beat John Wagner, but if we tie his arm behind his back, you might last a bit longer." It heads off down a reductive rabbit hole: "How much can be taken away from Wagner till he's level with Abnett? Is Dan Abnett better than Balls Brothers?"

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Greg M. on 03 July, 2020, 07:42:36 PM
I think that approach ends up a bit unintentionally patronising to Abnett. "We know you can't beat John Wagner, but if we tie his arm behind his back, you might last a bit longer." It heads off down a reductive rabbit hole: "How much can be taken away from Wagner till he's level with Abnett? Is Dan Abnett better than Balls Brothers?"

To be fair, this whole tournament was patronising to every writer that isn't Wagner.
You may quote me on that.

Rogue Judge

Thanks for running the competition Colin, great fun! I am very pleased to see Abnett take the cup, well deserved! Long may he contribute to the Galaxies Greatest!

TordelBack

Well done Colin, thanks for a superbly entertaining project.

paddykafka

Just too add my thanks as well, Colin. There were some real "Daddy or Chips?" moments when it came to choosing between writers. Cheers.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: paddykafka on 09 July, 2020, 03:46:15 PM
Just too add my thanks as well, Colin. There were some real "Daddy or Chips?" moments when it came to choosing between writers. Cheers.

Well we all know its chips every time anyway!

ZenArcade

Thanks for running the competition Colin. A fine endevour. I have to say I don't really consider Abnett 's work to be the best 'non Wagner' work the prog has done, in any sense, I am an avowed John Smith reader and would always consider his work to be at the height of what 2000AD is about and why it has always held such an attraction for me.
But the people have voted and as ever we accept the vote. Again thanks for an interesting and insightful exercise. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Colin YNWA

So while Broodblik is doing a fantastic job with the poll based tourneys I've got some more ideas about these larger vote based things. So I'm thinking tomorrow (and I've said it now so I'll actually get off my arse do it tomorrow!) I'm going to open nominantions for:

Ultimate Not Dredd Tourney

This time we will have 128 contenders, across two 'leagues' 'Heroes' and 'Villians' (and theres a talking point)- that will eventually merge into one knock out tourney to determine who is our favourite 2000ad character, well you know beside Ol' Joe himself.

It'll take a similar structure as the last Tourney, in that there will be lots of individual 'votes' - though I have a way of accelerating the earlier rounds. But there is a different tournament structure - at least at first.

I'll post more details tomorrow,. but hopefully this one will be as popular as the previous one, or even more?

broodblik

Great idea, will be quite interesting to see who comes out on top
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

abelardsnazz