Main Menu

What would happen if....

Started by ukdane, 04 June, 2004, 01:30:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ukdane

... the world stoppped spinning on it's axis, and started spinning the other way?

... or it started to orbit the sun in the reverse direction?
Cheers

-Daney

UZI 4U

If it stopped suddenly then us, the seas and anything else not nailed-down would be participating in the greatest (and final) supersurf ever! Even if it slowed gradually there would be some tidal effect I would imagine. Dunno what would happen if it went the other way round the sun tho.
BTW are you really bored or are you generally this strange?:) And, more importantly, what does that make me for bloody replying!!
Regards Jim.

Mr C

...was there a future shock where a spaceship lands on a planet inhabited by a species of evil, viscious killing machine monsters and a community of peaceful, cute, fluffy aliens. The spacemen take pityonthe cute creatures and recue them from the monsters, taking them all aboard their ship only for the fluffy aliens to turn out to be the larval form of the nasty monsters?

Generally Contrary

Mr C

Labour would blame it on the policies of past governments.

MUD

i read somewhere the earth is actually slowing down, but at such a rate that it'll take something like 46 million years to stop.

Thread Zero

... the world stoppped spinning on it's axis, and started spinning the other way?

The planet would probably tear itself to pieces before it started spinning in the opposite direction.

Why, do you have some sort of Evil Plan...?

Floyd-the-k

if it stopped suddenly, we`d all be killed by momentum, nausea, falling buildings etc

if it just WAS spinning the other way, I don`t think there`d be any difference

Floyd (who can`t do italics)

ukdane

Floyd, I just read your reply, and got this instant WB cartoon image in my head, of the world suddenly stopping, and all the buildings falling down. Made me laugh out loud.

Anyway, the reason I'm asking is because I had an idea for a story. Really. I'm not planning on taking over the world James Bond Villain-styl?e. Honest.

Mwha ha HA!
Cheers

-Daney

Al_Ewing

There's a rather wonderful H G Wells story called 'The Man Who Could Work Miracles' which is one of the best in the whole earth-stops-spinning-suddenly-and-momentum-causes-appalling-consequences genre.
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Mr D

Genius story. And the film isn't bad either, some fine performances and (for the time) effects

Dunk!

Lois Lane would be saved from crack.
"Trust we"

Gothmog

Lois Lane would be saved from crack.
Lois Lane's a smackhead?  Well with her lifestyle I guess it was only a matter of time ;)

What if the Earth's roation on it's axis stayed the same but it was orbiting the sun the opposite direction?  Would we notice any difference?

House of Usher

If the Earth stopped turning, gravity would become much weaker and we'd certainly lose our atmosphere and gosh knows what else (that's a really boring answer, I know).
STRIKE !!!

Pyroxian

Really? I thought gravity was caused by the fact that the Earth's really big/dense and therefore attracts smaller/less dense objects towards it.

Steve