Main Menu

Comic fans - all around us

Started by Tiplodocus, 17 June, 2004, 05:44:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

I apologise for the bad weather today. I finally got my Thundercat back from the garage where it was having it's brakes rebuilt (and some new tyres, and a full service, new flush indicators and an mot - ooch that hurt).

Anyway, to my point, the main mechanic was a big comic fan - seemed most impressed when I congratulated him on his huge series of Alex Ross DC portraits on the garage wall and professed to reading 2000ad and being an Ennis fan.

As well as wondering which comics he's going to be spending my money on, I was wondering what was the most unlikely "Oh, you're a comic/2000AD reader" situation you'd ever come across.

No, he didn't give me a discount.

(And don't you think Ross' Superman just looks a little too old. Christopher Reeve is the B-movie actor to aim for, not Ronald Reagan.)
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Mr D

Ah, the old 'how old should Superman be?' debate. To my mind he's mid thirties - forties. And a little grislier than Reeve. Not unattractive, just more worn features.

Floyd-the-k

Tiplodocus, I didn`t know you were responsible for the weather. Can you make it a little cooler here please?
  I have a great new comics-mad friend. He saw a 2000 AD prog in my rucksack and has been loaning me Alan Moore books, Kavalier and Clay etc. I`ve been loaning him the Megazine and Preacher.

cheers,

Floydhttp://www.britcomicart.com/gallery/britart/album17/Dredd_05_B_W.thumb.jpg">

Dudley

what was the most unlikely "Oh, you're a comic/2000AD reader" situation you'd ever come across

My MD and Sales Director - both hardcore businesspeople in their mid-50s - coming up to me on the same day and asking to borrow my Prog 2004.  The Sales Director promised to show me his apparently complete and pristine collection of every X-Men ever, but I didn't take him up as he was more than a little creepy.

Both have subsequently been fired.

Max Kon

Dudly: not because you refused to see their comics was it?

Dunk!

I know a lot of secret comic fans.

They don't even like to admit openly they work in the games industry so comics are a definite no-no. But if ya catch em on the right night with the right amount of booze in em you can dig through the footie, and the rugby, and the mounting biking, and the Dj'ing and stringent fashion following, to find a real passion for a certain medium we love.

Only this Tuesday I had the MD of a major company telling me how the fight between Captain American and Giant Man in The Ultimates was fantastic and the closing line of "Who's the big man now?" was one of his favourites. Come the cold light of Wednesday and he's back in denial.
"Trust we"

Pyroxian

>They don't even like to admit openly they work
>in the games industry

I can understand that one - if you do that then you get the 'So can you get me some free games?' question (Yeah, right - I get about 1 free game a year on average...) as well as the wonderful 'I've got a great idea for a game' conversation...

Steve

Thread Zero

(And don't you think Ross' Superman just looks a little too old. Christopher Reeve is the B-movie actor to aim for, not Ronald Reagan.)

Ross always seems to draw his 'Kingdom Come' older version of Superman, for some reason.

Dunk!

Well your standard opening answers to the "you work in the games industry?" queries are.

"Yes really."

"Hah If I could get freebies I'd keep em."

"Tell your genius cousin/nephew/mate's son to apply through the normal channels when he leaves school."

"You should really write that down in full and send it to someone. Someone who cares."

"No, games testers work really hard and actually it's a pretty mundane shitty job, but if ya really want to do it..."

"X-Box for sheer power, but PlayStation offers the widest range of games."

"Because men like big tits."
"Trust we"

Tanky

Slightly off topic, but i'm chuffed, so here's me story. I just found out that a new friend of mine is into comics. She's just had a tattoo of Death, which i mistook for a jet girl! She's just bought her first copy of tooth this week and will probably be at the pub later, so i'll get the verdict! Yaay! Bit of a big deal for me as non of my friends are into this stuff and tend to switch off if i mention comics.

Dead chuffed tanky x

Slippery PD

I get the same thing when I meet people for the first time and I tell them Im a technical person working in IT.

"yes thats a good PC, but I dont really work with them"
"search for your error message in google its always there"
"I have no idea if that game works with XP, as I said I work with servers and games arent allowed on a corporate network"
"No Ive said three times I work with servers not PC's"
"Yes Id love to give  up my free time and fix your PC, youll buy me a pint but you live 40 miles away"

Its worse than being a doctor at a party....

Slips

JamieB

Ross photorefs practically everything, so I'd imagine he's using the same model as he did for KC. I wish he wouldn't, the guy evidently has a paunch and consequently so does Ross' Superman, and it looks... meh.

J-Bo-1

Thread Zero

Ross photorefs practically everything,

Hmm, so then his KC Power Woman is based on an actual real woman, then?

Crickey...

Bolt-01

At last Dreddcon I bumped into MiniBolts english teacher.

Nice fella.

Bolt-01