Main Menu

Regened is returning – to the Judge Dredd Megazine

Started by IndigoPrime, 21 May, 2024, 06:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrington Boots

As a not-regular Meg reader, I think this makes the Meg a much more attractive prospect than bogus IDW Dredd or a horrible Hookjaw reprint.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

O Lucky Stevie!

Serious question, and I know you probably know better than me, but why would it be more expensive to go straight for a TPB, than to print it in the Prog or Meg and then put it in a TPB?
[/quote]

Because someone has to write, draw, colour & letter that exclusive graohic novel material in addition to the strips running in the Prog & the Meg.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Tomwe

Is it possible these strips were already commissioned and/or complete in the can before the decision to cease the Regened prog takeover issues happened? The Meg is a hungry beast after all. I'm happy with this decision.

broodblik

I think maybe it is to do that in the meg you can measure its popularity and know if it is going to worthwhile releasing it as a TPB. Going straight to TPB you might not be sure how well it will sell
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Tomwe

The Hawk The Slayer series ran in the meg before going to US size issues and then collected.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on Today at 09:41:10 AMBecause someone has to write, draw, colour & letter that exclusive graohic novel material in addition to the strips running in the Prog & the Meg.

My post near the bottom of the previous page has a link breaking down the maths on that, in case anyone misses it now that we're onto page two of this thread...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Le Fink

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on Today at 10:15:05 AM
Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on Today at 09:41:10 AMBecause someone has to write, draw, colour & letter that exclusive graohic novel material in addition to the strips running in the Prog & the Meg.

My post near the bottom of the previous page has a link breaking down the maths on that, in case anyone misses it now that we're onto page two of this thread...

That was a helpful informative post Jim. Whatever happened to Drowntown?

AlexF

I feel it's important also to acknowledge that running NEW Regened strips in the Meg, means more possibilites for NEW creators to get an outlet for their work - and a chance to hone their talents - in a regular comic. This was a VITAL part of the early years of the Megazine and even though it meant for some uneven reading expereinces - e.g. the hyper-professional likes of Return of the Taxidermist and Anderson Psi alongside the sub-professional early work of Calhab Justice, Pan-African Judges and Harmony.
I want there to be space for new comics people to learn how to do comics good, and the Megazine has been that for so long, glad to see it can still be that! (Even if the reason then as now might be as much to do with cost-saving as anything more noble)

I ssupexct it comes up on the Thread Mr Campbell jhas linked to but the Phoenix's business model very much seems to be: keep the weekly comic going even at a loss, but reap mega-profits from trade reprints down the line. As long as you can bankroll a comic for 3-5 years at the start, it seems ot work. If, you know, there are enough good comics coming out of it!