Main Menu

Podcasts

Started by JLC, 06 March, 2017, 01:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

Movie Crush - (yet) another movie podcast, this one hosted by Chuck Bryant from Stuff You Should Know (who I find to be an insanely likable and engaging host) talking to various guests about their favourite movies.

Last Podcast on the Left - podcast about the occult, fringe groups, conspiracy theories* and serial killers. An occasionally abrasive listen and an acquired taste but frequently funny and often (unsurprisingly) dark. Some might object to the levity and irreverence with which they treat some pretty serious subject matters. I pick and choose depending on the given subject, though I thoroughly enjoyed a recent series they did on Timothy McVeigh/Oklahoma City and another on Norwegian Black Metal.

*though i should stress that the hosts are not tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy nuts and are largely skeptics.

Fungus

Podcasts should be ace, you're able to waffle at length, no restrictions. In a way, it's good that so many get boring real fast. I probably have a half-dozen on rotation...

'I don't even own a television' was tried, after half a podcast I knocked that on the head. Fell into the 'it's so bad it's good' so effortlessly I couldn't continue. I'm a boring old fart, what can I tell ya  :thumbsup:

radiator

For me, podcasts have made pretty much all old style talking head media obsolete. You can be so specific, go into so much depth and just cut the bullshit to such an extent in a podcast interview that traditional old format interviews on things like radio or chat shows seem so lightweight and frivolous by comparison.

TordelBack

Quote from: radiator on 17 March, 2018, 02:38:31 AM
For me, podcasts have made pretty much all old style talking head media obsolete. You can be so specific, go into so much depth and just cut the bullshit to such an extent in a podcast interview that traditional old format interviews on things like radio or chat shows seem so lightweight and frivolous by comparison.

Nail on the head there,  Radiator. Although I do find myself yelling at the air when some nugget of factual wrongness is trotted out and batted back and forth unchallenged,  it's still a massive improvement on shallow waffle chopped into 'balanced' chunks, generally in the service of some promotion.

Theblazeuk

Other than The Adventure Zone, I listen to LOADS of RPG podcasts. My favourites are One Shot (friends of the McElroys and similarly tightly edited) and Roleplay Public Radio/RPPR. The latter is unedited to a great extent but has great audio quality nonetheless and does some great horror games, as well as silly ones. Delta Green and Red Markets plus Spirit of 77 or Rick n Morty in Monsters & Other Things. Good, good stuff.

Quote from: radiator on 16 March, 2018, 08:51:41 PM
Last Podcast on the Left - podcast about the occult, fringe groups, conspiracy theories* and serial killers. An occasionally abrasive listen and an acquired taste but frequently funny and often (unsurprisingly) dark. Some might object to the levity and irreverence with which they treat some pretty serious subject matters. I pick and choose depending on the given subject, though I thoroughly enjoyed a recent series they did on Timothy McVeigh/Oklahoma City and another on Norwegian Black Metal.

*though i should stress that the hosts are not tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy nuts and are largely skeptics.

I describe the style of this podcast as 'The Douche' from Parks and Recreation. It is good but they can be as tiresome as they are entertaining. The Aum Shinrikyo series is great.

radiator

QuoteI describe the style of this podcast as 'The Douche' from Parks and Recreation. It is good but they can be as tiresome as they are entertaining. The Aum Shinrikyo series is great.

I wouldn't go quite that far  :lol:. But yeah, it has a tone best described as 'shouty'.

rogue69

BBC radio 4 have a few new podcasts

You're Doing it Wrong; Adam Buxton takes a sideways look at some of our confusing modern ideas.

Evil Genius: Where do you draw the line? Each week, we examine a cultural icon's back story and weigh up the good against the bad.

GrownUpLand; Comedians Mae Martin, Bisha K Ali and Ned Sedgwick consider the adult world with the help of Steve Ali and special guests.

Theblazeuk

Black Squadron reporting, I guess.

Dudley

The Beef and Dairy Network. Deadpan comedy about beef and dairy farming. Quite a lot funnier than it sounds.

Last Podcast on the Left is great as long as you have a very very dark sense of humour and avoid the dull creepy pasta episodes.

How Did This Get Made? is my weekly guaranteed laugh.

Pete Wells

There's this amazing new podcast by some Mackem areshole...

rogue69

Interesting new podcast "Drunk Women solving Crime"
4 female comedians drinking & trying to work out how an past crime was commited

GordyM

The Worst Idea of All Time

Two friends agree to watch a shitty film once a week for a year and podcast after each viewing. First film they pick is Grown Ups 2. It gets funnier and funnier as it goes along because each viewing gets more torturous and they sometimes have to get drunk just to get through the 37th viewing or whatever of the celluloid abomination.

www.worstideaofalltime.com
Check out my new comic Supermom: Expecting Trouble and see how a pregnant superhero tries to deal with the fact that the baby's father is her archnemesis. Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986rnlgk0itfz/Supermom_Preview_Pack.pdf/file

Rara Avis

I really like LPOTL but yes they can be very shouty. The Norwegian Death Metal series was one of my favourites along with Carl Panzram. Loved Aum Shinriyko and Jonestown. They just finished up a three parter on the West Memphis Three which was fantastic as well.

I also enjoy (from the same network) Wizard and the Bruiser : https://soundcloud.com/wizbru

For more political comedy I have enjoyed a few episodes of The Dollop as well. The Opioid Crisis and the Trump ones were unbelievably good but I just can't get past that guys laugh which is incredibly annoying.

I also gave Dirty John and Doctor Death a go - they were ok. I'm working my way through the Thrillcast at the moment and I want to give that 'West Cork' a go - it's about the tragic murder of a French woman (Sophie du Plantier) here in Ireland and the investigation surrounding her death. It's only available on Audible though.

The only podcast I wouldn't recommend it Shit Town - please don't waste 8 hours of your life on this.

Quote from: radiator on 21 March, 2018, 08:01:21 PM
QuoteI describe the style of this podcast as 'The Douche' from Parks and Recreation. It is good but they can be as tiresome as they are entertaining. The Aum Shinrikyo series is great.

I wouldn't go quite that far  :lol:. But yeah, it has a tone best described as 'shouty'.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Pete Wells on 26 June, 2018, 05:58:52 PM

Finally got around to starting to listen to this (can't believe I first heard about it in June - sorry Pete!) and its bloomin' fascinatating.

Put aside the fact that I'm not involved in SEN work its still a brilliant listen on a number of levels. First and foremost more lovely* Pete 'Lovely' Wells and his infectous humour. Secondly an insight into a really important but often forgotten (by those not involved) part of education.

But thirdly and most importantly really good lessons in storytelling as you begin to understand quite the amount of thought and consideration that's gone into what appear on the surface to be simple stories but when you break them down are fantastic examples of quite breath-takingly compact storytelling designed and executed to get across so much. Truly Mr Wells (Lovely) is the Wagner (J) of children's storytelling.

Well worth checking out and and have to make special mention of Episode 3 where Pete talks to a hero of the field (from what I can gather) Les Staves who gives a frankly chilling insight into how much this area has moved on since the 70s. While we watch the world do its best to lurch into a downward spiral its heartening to see how much as a sociality things have progressed.

Thanks for the heads up Pete and sorry it took me so long to get to this.

*I've realised its impossible to type Pete Wells in a sentence without also typing the word lovely... see.

Pete Wells

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 09 November, 2018, 08:43:27 AM
Quote from: Pete Wells on 26 June, 2018, 05:58:52 PM

But thirdly and most importantly really good lessons in storytelling as you begin to understand quite the amount of thought and consideration that's gone into what appear on the surface to be simple stories but when you break them down are fantastic examples of quite breath-takingly compact storytelling designed and executed to get across so much. Truly Mr Wells (Lovely) is the Wagner (J) of children's storytelling.

Thank you so much Colin! I can't tell you how much that means to me!