Main Menu

Prog 2120 - Tankbuster!

Started by Richard, 23 February, 2019, 11:36:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

Blimey! Machine Law just gets better and better! Never imagined it was heading in this direction! This is epic stuff.

There's a new 3riller, not sure what to make of it yet. Will see what happens next week.

The plot is moving along in Grey Area now. I like the comic relief in this episode.

This week's Jaegir is an episode which is almost like a self-contained one-off story in its own right.

We also get to see who won the Rogue Trooper art competition -- it was [spoiler]Evan Shipard[/spoiler], with an excellent entry. Well done that squaxx droid!

The next competition is Strontium Dog.

Colin YNWA

Okay that cover is frustrating. Its close to being fantastic but there's just too much 'dead space' in the middle. Ho hum.

Anyway to the guts of the beast - its a great Prog. From bottom to top for a change.

Skipperty has yet another close but still lacking episode. I'm warming to it but need to warn to the lead more as I've said time and time again.

3riller - Tooth and Nail... so the kid being beat up is going to be called Tooth right... but the more significent point is we don't know and that this stories biggest problem it leaves too much open and unanswered and just doesn't really set anything up properly. Still its well executed and Staz Johnson just gets better and better.

Jaegir - yes Jaegir is in the middle spot and its bloomin' fantastic. A brilliant exchange better Jaegir and the Souther General amidst charnage.

Grey Area
- Just superb, absolutely superb, building plot and tension with absolute mastery and speaking of master brilliant Stan Lee tribute.

And speaking of speaking of Masters Wagner and MacNeil give an absolute masterclass in Dredd. Can this get better. Its now become a dramatic Roman political drama. This story is finding new and brilliant ways to grow in each episode. On top of all that the exchange between Dredd and Hershey is just heart breaking. Genius of the highest order.

Oh and does that Art Star picture look even more magnificent in the Prog! Massive congratulations to Evan Shipard.

McNulty

Damn, just finished my review and hit preview to make sure I didn't reveal any spoilers, and the box went blank!

73north

I adored the superb Jaegir episode , its really impressive stuff from Gordon Rennie and Simon Coleby

Dredd is really good and building the tension , Skip Tracer was good ( getting better after all ) ,
the new 3Riller was okay and Grey Area was really good - I am pleased STRONTIUM DOG is getting some attention in the Tharg's Art Competition -

over all 9/10 Prog for me , and can't wait for the next Part of Jaegir

Geoff

An enjoyable prog even though (ahem, I'm a bit embarrassed to say) I'm only reading 3 fifths of it.  Never liked Skip Tracer and Grey Area gives me a headache to look at, one page in particuar is incredibly busy.

The Thriller is ok so far but Dredd and Jaegir are just superb.

I haven't felt this for a while with the prog...but because of Machine Law I'm genuinely excited when the prog lands on Saturday morning!

Leigh S

broodblik

Another good prog highlights is Jaegir and Dredd.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Pete Wells

Dredd is just amazing, isn't it?

However, I have a slight problem with [spoiler]the actions of four of the former council of five. Cuffing Beeney seems very extreme and un-Judicial, and I'd expect former council members to be a lot less reckless.[/spoiler]

A rare misstep for me this, in easily one of the best Dredd strip's in years.

Colin YNWA

Yeah I defiantly see the point Pete raises as it did strike me. I forgive it however as I really enjoy the contrast of the story seeming slow and close in its telling but around it events, momentous events, are moving at such a pace. It really empthasizes the human nature of such happenings.

Also a week is a long time in politics and all that.

broodblik

Maybe [spoiler]cuffing her is to make sure that she does not intervene with their plans. She did say that they must just turn in themselves to save her time[/spoiler]. 
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

The ex-council doing this for me echoes the democracy arc. Fairly similar thinking there, in that when their ideology is threatened, any notion of justice rapidly goes out of the window, in favour of a coup, or some other illegal act.

Rately

Another strong Prog.

This Dredd story looks like it may be about to take a terrible turn, and spiral out of control for all involved.

Just fantastic stuff.

CalHab

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 27 February, 2019, 12:25:54 PM
The ex-council doing this for me echoes the democracy arc. Fairly similar thinking there, in that when their ideology is threatened, any notion of justice rapidly goes out of the window, in favour of a coup, or some other illegal act.

Yeah, this seems entirely consistent with the behaviour of senior judges in other stories. The law comes second to preserving the judge system.

Dandontdare

Prog's on fine form at the moment.

Wagner + MacNeil + Dredd = perfection. 'nuff said. The Dredd and Hershey conversation was very touching.

Jaegir and Grey Area are both excellent - Kapiten Jaegir is a wonderful ballsy character, and I like the relationship with her giant sergeant. Grey Area is just a great ensemble piece, although the art is sometimes a little busy for my tired old eyes.

Even Skip Tracer is starting to provide some thrillage - I still don't feel invested in the characters or the setting, but the last few episodes have had some entertaining action.

Can't say much about the 3hriller because there isn't much substance there - I do feel that this format just allows future shock writers to get lazy. I think if this episode had been pitched to Tharg back in the day, the response would be "and then what happens on page 2?" Someone like John Wagner could probably tell this entire episode in about 3 panels.