Main Menu

Toward a PC AD?

Started by JimBob, 20 August, 2002, 08:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimBob

Recent debates on Homophobia/racism have left me wondering on what is/isn't thought acceptable. My personal view is that we do not want to deliberatly offend anyone, but this should not be doen at the expense of taking all the bite from the comic.
 I remember Swamp Thing had an incredibly tedious gay couple a few years ago and anyone who criticised them in the letters page was lept on as homophobic, even though they annoying gits.
 I think it should be OK to critcise insult charcters who are Gay /of a different race etc, as long as thats not WHY your criticising them. Devlin Waugh is an interesting Gay character as are Midnighter and Appollo and as such I'll read their adventures, Northstar is a boring one note prat in a crap comic and I feel free to say so.
 On other races  it's more complicated. War comics fed on Japanese stereotypes for years and I've read heavy criticism of them for doing so, but to set stories in WW2 and not point out the cruelty of the Axis forces is a gross interpretation of history. Put simply do you feel guilty reading Darkies mob? Again to be abusive becasue a character is racialy different is wrong but there are bad Japanese, Africans and Asians in the world and their should be no problem with a portrayal of an Ethnic villain,
 interested in your thoughts.

Jim

almighty mat

As far as I'm concerned, people should be free to determine their own point of view, free from the dictates of dogma, whether it be in the form of church, PC-ness or anything else. Don't listen to what other people, TV, or magazines tell you, try and think for yourself instead.

And if at the end of it you turn out to be a nazi, I'll simply have to come round and twat you!

mat

matth_2002

Hello everyone

Please visit my website (see link below)where I am selling around 1500 issues of 2000AD, Megazine, Specials, Annuals, Yearbooks, Graphic Novels, Crisis etc etc.

No order is too large or small and I will ship worldwide. I will accept payment by UK cheque, postal order or cash. International sales by Money Order or US Dollars and Euro cash. there are significant discounts for larger orders.

I have already helped over one hundred fans fill holes in their collections and I hope that you too will find something of interest there.

Cheers!

Matt

Link: http://www.matthudson.co.uk" target="_blank">Comics for sale

Slippery PD

I personally say no to PC.  

One of the reasons I love the prog is due to its ability to hide real life issues into its stories.  Didnt someone say "Sci-Fi is nbot about the future its about the now.", Im sure Ill be corrected if Im wrong.

Look at some of the strips below, all have a "hidden" meaning of sorts in them:-
Stront/nemesis - Racism, the right wing agenda (Kreelman)
Big Dave - Not everyones fave, but a satire of the Sun generation  
Dredd - well we have fear of nuclear war, fatties, fashion, september 11th (sin city), Facism.  Need I go on.
Bad Company/Glimmer rats - futility of War
Slaine - though JB and I disagree.  The christian church

A majority of the strips in AD have Adult agendas in them it what makes us like teh comic.  It makes us think, sometimes we dont like it/disagree with the point made but we still read it.  I think a pull towards a more PC AD will make the comic as bland as most of the mass produced american garbage that seems to be prevailent.    

JimBob

While I dislike Slaines post Horned God direction I can live with it.
 As a writer Pat Mills has every right to express his views, and as a reader I have an equal right to say I think he's talking bollocks.
 The problem with disliking the Politically Correct is the people you tend to get lumped in with, if you so much as suggest Polly Toynbee is talking nonsense there are people who will denounce you as a Nazi. I  dislike this creeping McCarthyism of the left (TM JBR rants2002).
 Issues can and should be discussed in the prog VC's at the moment feels like it's going to develop it's subtext on racism as well as being a fine blow 'em up.

Devons Daddy

all good arguments. but surely 2000ad has from day one embraced the very core of everything we are discussing here,
SD, mutants in mega cityone, and a host of other characters, nearly always handled with excellent writing and character development.
it has been for some 25 years been treating all as equals and at the same time pushing the envolope of acceptable levels a little further.
if you re read some older progs i am sure they would re print well right now, given the change in the times that takes some doing, protrait of a mutant being a good example,
black hawk for the time must have been a risk, black leading hero. and devlin waugh gay, and so what , tooth has never ben politcally correct , but never really openly offensive either in the sense of direct and out and out bashing anyone,
so i think we have a history of being what we are, if others cant accept it , sadly it there loss,
i think the editorial team have never really strayed from the path for long, PC is in vouge but that should not change 2000ad. or even influence the team behind it,

not to say any are wrong, just airing my views,
the comic has teeth and balls, lets hope it stays that way for the next twenty five years.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Slippery PD

JimBob its a strange world.  There was a time when I was a mad leftie, though now I see the world through a more mature and realistic way.  I still would never call my politics right wing.  I just hate political correctness.  

Political Correctness is ridiculous, when taken to the major extremes we see in this country.  Royal college of nursing anyone???

2000AD Online

As a term, 'political correctness' has been rendered meaningless due to the very fact it means something different to different people.

Wood

I'm very left-wing, and I think Polly Toynbee is talking bollocks. She's no liberal.

eggonlegs

id like to think pc means politeness counts>

Oddboy

When I was young PC meant Police Constable.....be pure be vigilant behave.
Better set your phaser to stun.