Main Menu

Prog 2124 - The New Normal

Started by Magnetica, 23 March, 2019, 03:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robert_ellis

Tharg, if Grey Area is done can we have Harrison & Abnett back on Durham Red?

broodblik

Another week and another good prog.

Highlights was the great artwork on Dredd by Patrick Goddard and Kingmaker by Leigh Gallagher.

When Survival Geeks started I was not a fan but this is winning me over with some good laughs and good art
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

TordelBack

On a bit of a holiday from the forum while I perform Kohlinhar and otherwise try to get my mangelwurzel on straight, but there's always an irresistible temptation to sing the praises of a great everyday prog: and this is such a beast.

Grey Area is just nail-biting, lusciously illustrated stuff; Kingmaker continues to amuse (once you accept that being-far-too-like-LotR is the whole point); and while Survival Geeks always makes me beam at the very sight of it, as light and colourful and energetic as it always it, the name 'Princess Mantears' actually made me chuckle out loud in a crowded caf.  The Dredd, if perhaps not scaling those heights due to a rather over-used premise (third time out?), still delivers with a brisk pace, tongue-in-cheek dialogue and some classic panels from Goddard.

But aside from the deep consistency of quality cover to cover, the real highlight it was the realisation that I had been desperately needing a Max Normal series from Adams and Cornwell, and I never even knew it. Snappily written, characterfully drawn and featuring the ape sidekick that is de rigeur for all former Dredd enablers in civilian life. 

I return to the monastery of P'Jem to resume the purge. Keep it up, all.

Colin YNWA

Tordelback - TORDELBACK - I missed you old boy and almost started a thread to see if folks knew where you'd gone, but decided to respect your departure instead.

Good to know you are still with us, in spirit at least if not in type.

Enjoy whatever it is that you are doing, return to us when you are ready and know that I for one, and I'm sure many others, hopes that's soon.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 March, 2019, 04:56:29 PM
On a bit of a holiday from the forum

Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

:-)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Trout

I loved that Max Normal story you hepcat daddio something I dunno. Lots of fun, especially the kids' weird faces.

Also top work is that there Dredd. Poor old Souster! And I'm enjoying Survival Geeks. Good old chuckle.

Cheers and stuff

- Trout

norton canes

A slightly uncertain air to this week's prog I thought, in places at least. 'Unearthed', for instance, felt like a bit of a first draft - were some/none/all of the Sov Judges actually undead? They only ate four crew members in 35 years? The Sovs had a mega-weapon that they only put on one Strato-V? Also, Rob Williams can write some great zingers, but the story often felt like it was being narrated by Dirty Frank. Still, nice to see the Heavy Metal Kids in action - will they be smashing Sov skulls next week?

In contrast, the next two stories are strong and stable - an excellent resolution to this short Kingmaker prologue, and Survival Geeks is absolutely flying. Kudos to Gallagher, Googe and Caldwell for art duties on these strips.

Max Normal I'm less sure about. The hipster and gang kids satire was nice but I think Guy Adams is going to have to get some kind of interesting take on Max's character to make him properly engaging. The language was there, let's see how things develop once the origins story gets underway.

Finally, Grey Area is certainly hurtling towards its conclusion, perhaps a little too quickly even. Five pages and it's done! If anyone can make it work it's Dan Abnett.

JamesC

I enjoyed Dredd but mainly because of the artwork if I'm honest.

Survival Geeks is really growing on me. I'm not usually a fan of these comedy strips but this is really well done.

Kingmaker was ace. This is the best thing Edginton has done by a country mile and the artwork is just phenomenal.

Max Normal was really good. I wasn't expecting to enjoy this but I really did.

Grey Area is great as always. I'll be sad if this is the final series, I think this strip could run and run. I found it a little unclear as to what was happening in some panels but I got the gist.

Overall a very strong prog.

DrJomster

Max Normal hit the right notes, I must say. A strong start there.

I agree with most of what people have said above really.

Survival Geeks is fun, with gorgeous art.

Grey Area - I'm not ready for this to stop, like others.

Dredd - not 100% sure about this but interested to see where it goes next. Still good though.

Praise Be To Tharg.

The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

sheridan

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 23 March, 2019, 09:05:23 PM
Survival Geeks remains fluff, but I must admit I enjoyed this piece of fluff.

Liked the Megadungeon - wonder if it's original, or cribbed from elsewhere?

sheridan

Quote from: Trout on 28 March, 2019, 01:48:20 AM
I loved that Max Normal story you hepcat daddio something I dunno.

That sounds like something a Troggie would say!  Shibboleth, I tell you!

CalHab

Did anyone else get their prog in the old plastic, not-compostable, bag?

Love the dialogue in Max Normal. Highlight of the prog.

Molch-R

Quote from: CalHab on 29 March, 2019, 03:35:30 PM
Did anyone else get their prog in the old plastic, not-compostable, bag?

After several reports of Progs turning up in non-compostable bags we got our distributor to investigate - turns out that 720 subscriber copies were mailed out with the incorrect non-compostable poly bags. Our distributor accepted responsibility for the oversight and everyone should be back to the proper compostable bags with future issues.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Molch-R on 29 March, 2019, 03:41:06 PM
Our distributor accepted responsibility for the oversight and everyone should be back to the proper compostable bags with future issues.

Can I go back to the old ones, please? I have babies to asphyxiate.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Trout

Quote from: sheridan on 29 March, 2019, 12:49:10 AM
Quote from: Trout on 28 March, 2019, 01:48:20 AM
I loved that Max Normal story you hepcat daddio something I dunno.

That sounds like something a Troggie would say!  Shibboleth, I tell you!

You drool uncool fool