Main Menu

Prog1316 - The latest prog

Started by Slippery PD, 05 November, 2002, 06:54:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gavinhanly

*Sigh*

The name wasn't registered in any way (i.e. .com,.org etc, etc).  I don't use yahoo usegroups.  And it didn't come up on a search.

Link: http://www.2000adreview.co.uk/" target="_blank">2000 AD Review

paulvonscott

Yeah, I just thought you might say sorry or something.

JimBob

Just like to add my vote for this being a great Past Imperfect, wasn't keen on the Red House story, but I liked the last two and think this had been a good approach to a new one off series. Somehting I never thought I 'ld say after the horror of Dragon Tales

Jim
Got through that without mentioning meta narratives and sounding like a ponce...D'oh!

petemaskreplica

Dredd: My only complaint is that it was too short! Hmmm... new villan and old character in 4 episodes, Orlok's trial in 2... anyone smell a mega-epic in the air?

Red Seas: bloomin' marvellous. Nice to see the sweary theme continuing, too.

Asylum: Be pure! Be vigilant! BEHAVE!! Cleanse and purify, etc etc. Have Pat Mills' lawyers had a look at this???!! It's all done with style, though.

Past Imperfect: easily the best one so far. Nice retro feel too, I thought.

Sin Dex: I actually quite liked this, it made me snigger. But when you're being upstaged by beachball-shaped alien Cartmans, it's definitely time to take a break. Maybe the beachballs should get their own series? ;)

paulvonscott

Yeah, I liked the beach balls, this would have made a good one off story I reckon, it in no way approves my opinion of those two shitesters Sin and Dex however.

Capt.Zeep

Past Imperfect - surely we've been here before with Watchmen, New Statesmen and Zenith?

paulvonscott

Er, no Barny, not really...

So Rennies touched on Superheroes, but he rather cleverly (for the old shortbread tub thumper) had the two adviseries use their own fantastic fiction against each other, hence the Japs had Godzilla, the yanks had superheroes.  that in itself brought a smile to my face.

That does NOT make the concept of Past Imperfect anything remotely like watchmen, zenith or new statesmen.  When the whole wretched US scene is only propped up by the constant reinvention of Superhero's to keep the whole damn jaded mess going (ably assisted by some british wretches, who probably should know better), there's still ideas aplenty to create a FIVE (count em) page story, that uses none of the aforementioned strips ideas.

In addition, despite the fact I think you've missed the point about the use of superheroes here, that only one of these has featured superheroes, you really are barking up the wrong cucumber old chap.

This was the first Past Imperfect that really did give the whole concept a big shot in the arm.  I have to say I fully applaud it. I look forward to the one Ade Bamforth has drawn, because it seems to have taken the same stance with reality and period movies.

Having said that, I want to see more English material, e.g. Civil War, World War (that's I & II folks), 1066 riffs, as well as Rocker zombies killing Mod zombies on the blood beach of Brighton, Stonehenge built by a touring intergalctic rock band and the Mekon organising the Winter of Discontent.  

I think a future commisioned series should ban stories set in the states, they can fuck off (actually that's not really against Americans, but do we really need to define our stuff through their history?), we have one comic in Britain, its called 2000AD and it's ours.

For the record - get in!

Trout

The Trout takes the middle ground.

I agree with Barny, in that it had a bit of a DC Elseworlds feel to it.

Paul, I know you don't read many US comics, but be aware DC have done that superheroes getting killed in an alternative past thing ad nauseam.

That said, I enjoyed the story and feel Gordon should get full marks for trying something a little different from the usual 2K fare.

- Trout

paulvonscott

Yeah, but surely the fact superheroes died in an alternative past isn't anywhere near the point behind the story.

Trout

Yeah, fair enough Paul. I just had deja vu as I read it.

I'm very much behind the idea of Past Imperfect.

I was pissed off with the formulaic approach taken to Future Shocks.

- Trout

Puck

Late as usual I know, but I finally got my Prog. so here's my thoughts:

Cover: Liked it but the slogan made me cringe a little to be honest. Good art though. Had a retro feel about it and a speach bubble would have been the cherry on top.

Dredd: I agree with you guys, it does look like Wagner's building up to something. A good old fight/shoot-out this week and Prager stays a werewolf... cool! :)

The Red Seas: Have to say I love the writing on this. Interesting twist this Prog (well for me anyway) Dancer appears to be dead and "our hero" is now the witch.

Asylum: Love the art and a nice story too. Call me a big softy but I didn't want the baby Belly to die *siff*. :) Real evil nutcase bad-guy and the good-guy's chained to the wall. Should be interesting to see how it turns out. I like this series.

Past Imperfect: Excellent! Real crazy far fetched stuff, using super heroes and comic-like characters to fight a war. Great twist at the end.

Sinister Dexter: Not as good as last weeks (or the week before) but I still thought it was great. Chuckles from both the sides of the aliens and of Sinister and Dexter, even they were speaking jibberish.

karne

I like the new icon Puck. Did you blag it from the "Rigellian Hotshots" game?

Puck

Yeah, thought it looked cool, and I was being a bit cheeky using Tharg as an icon anyway. :)

W. R. Logan

>The supporting characters give Sin/Dex some focus as oppossed to just a one off story about them killing someone. I think the latest stoy is proving this.

I must have missed all the character development, thought it had been 4 episodes where nothing much has happened, other than star wars and sci fi references. But I suppose considering how crap Sin/Dex is, any fan would rave after something mildly different has happened giving them some excuse to try and say how great they really are.
God knows how this ever got to be a recurring story and just think what great new story/character/series could fill the pages that the mind numbingly boring/crap gunsharks take up week in, week out.

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

Link: http://www.2000adonline.com/index.php3?zone=thrill

http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/2000ad/thumbnails/1190thumb.jpg">

almighty mat

Nah, when SinDex is good, it's great! The problem for the last couple of years is that they've just had 'adventures', rather than any sense of there being a bigger picture or narrative (see all recent arguing threads on johnny Alpha), but hopefully with the return of billy Octavo, and more importantly Simon Davies this'll change.

mat