Main Menu

prog 2003

Started by Last of the V8's, 15 December, 2002, 03:15:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnilleps

Sound effects in comics are a weird beast. The old hand drawn sound effects of Tom Frame are a joy. On the other hand, looking at prog 2003 to see what the caballiistics inc sounds look like, I couldn't help but check who did the lettering on the "Get that stitched, Jimmy!" panel of Banzai. Also noticed the Rogue story only has one sound effect and barely needed that.
Jock does most of his sound effects and they work. IIRC Mark Harrison's done interesting stuff in his colour work. Looking at it Dom's could've been better, though I didn't notice at the time.
I think the main thing to bear in mind is the recent trend of colour sound effects in black and white art. Those I did notice, like someone pinching me while I'm trying to read. Sounds need to stand out as something different to the visuals, but they shouldn't break the... (um, reality? no, flow) flow of the story.

petemaskreplica

Have to say, on the whole I prefer sound effects to be done by the letterers.

A good prog though, maybe lightweight in places, but it's nice to relax a bit at Christmas.

The "droids decide" feature's a good idea, but does take up too many pages- they could have done 3 covers a page, and got another strip in.

Overall, a prog of in-between type stories and set-up episodes, but I've no real complaint about that.

BTW- is it just me, or does Miss Rosie in Banzai Battalion bear an uncanny resemblance to Halo Jones? And I'm sure that's Bok from Verdus on the last page...

Devons Daddy

enjoyed it totally.
great way to start my subscription.
superb cover. wonderful art.
 decent story line up.
some gibson babes/banzi battalion for a decent chuckle.
dredd with a great opening chapter of good art and complete story foundation.intro of a new character. a GI fem.worth watching out for.
another chapter of depth for Dante.
slaine thoguh never my top choice. beautifully rendered.
for me it was wonderful. enjoyed every single page.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

gavinhanly

Well I thought it was great, and I've finally put up this week's review.  Unfortunately, as I'm now off on holiday, you'll have to wait until post Xmas before you can read WR Logan's counterpoint.  But then, it's another reason to visit the site later!!

Anyway, hope you enjoy the review, because it took bloody ages to write.  I'll be back in the new year with a Dreddcon report, and the 1st Megazine review.

Link: http://www.2000adreview.co.uk/" target="_blank">2000AD Review

petemaskreplica

"Bok from Verdus"

I mean B.O., obviously.