Main Menu

Meg 440: Fully Loaded!

Started by IndigoPrime, 17 January, 2022, 11:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Ooh – wraparound cover. Alas, no print for me. (Is that the case for everyone?) Anyway, on with the strips...

Dredd returns to McConville's time-travel shenanigans, which feels a bit like it's talking place in an alternate time stream from the main Dredd strip, to some degree. (Although, TBF, that's all Dredd these days.) Nice to see a range of judges (and no insulting stereotypes). The story itself seems good so far.

Death Cap lost me early on in fridging/murdering kids, but this episode is a little better. Nice art (not least the Carlos tribute), but it all feels a little empty to me. I'm not sure I care what happens to the protagonist, which is never a good thing.

Diamond Dogs III has some nice moments. It feels markedly less futuristic than Dredd. Remove the judges and much of it could be happening in a BBC 1 drama. For all that, it's fine, and I might do a re-read at some point, to remind myself of how everything got to this point.

Interlude: Ennis chats about Hawk the Slayer and Steve White digs into his career on 2000 AD and beyond.

Lawless remains the Meg's high point for me. I don't know where Abnett's taking this, but there's plenty of intrigue and some wonderful character moments.

Surfer continues to build. Strange to see Wagner hiding away at the back of the Meg, but with this and Lawless it ends well.

Lawless > Surfer > Dredd > Diamond Dogs > Death Cap

Colin YNWA

Am I right in thinking that the floppie is the first part of Hawk the Slayer?

broodblik

Cover by Stewart Kenneth Moore:

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 17 January, 2022, 11:51:02 AM
Yes. I've not read that yet.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 17 January, 2022, 12:45:59 PM

Cool - just wanted to check I wasn't getting over excited about getting it Wednesday as really looking forward to it - even if I'm no fan of the film!

broodblik

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 17 January, 2022, 12:52:09 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 17 January, 2022, 12:45:59 PM

Cool - just wanted to check I wasn't getting over excited about getting it Wednesday as really looking forward to it - even if I'm no fan of the film!

Who care for the movie we have Flint back in action !!!!!!!

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Minor peeve that after four and a half million floppies (approximately) this one is suddenly the size and dimensions of a US comic. I'm still not sure at the business sense of giving this away for free to people who probably would have bought it anyway, but I've long since learned to trust that the Rebellion people know what they are doing, mostly.

SBT

broodblik

I agree I would have bought it and i think most of the guys getting the meg would as well.

broodblik

Quote from: broodblik on 17 January, 2022, 03:39:16 PM
I agree I would have bought it and i think most of the guys getting the meg would as well.

or it is a case of boosting the megs exposure

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 17 January, 2022, 11:45:06 AM
Ooh – wraparound cover. Alas, no print for me. (Is that the case for everyone?) Anyway, on with the strips...

Tharg has spoken on Facebook (sorry can't copy and paste the text) basically to try to avoid a price raise with increased cost he's gone with stopping adding the print.

broodblik

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 18 January, 2022, 05:43:42 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 17 January, 2022, 11:45:06 AM

Tharg has spoken on Facebook (sorry can't copy and paste the text) basically to try to avoid a price raise with increased cost he's gone with stopping adding the print.

Tomwe

I'm not too worried about the lack of print. They weren't something I put to any use. The Hawk The Slayer book is great! And overall the Meg is on a winning streak. Happy to still be buying it.

IndigoPrime

90% of the prints showed up damaged here. I haven't used any of them. I like the idea, but always wished they'd have been a bit smaller than full page, so they didn't get mashed. I'm not fussed either way about them going away. Better than cuts to the comic.

Richard

A bold choice of page numbering on page 40!