Main Menu

FFT - ROUND of 16 - The Out vs Brink - Heat 02

Started by Colin YNWA, 16 August, 2022, 06:34:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Sponsored by 2000ad in Stages* - see links below.

The Out - more info

VS

Brink - more info

OUCH - this modern Dabnett Derby (and clue this isn't the only Dabnett Derby this round) is arguably the tie of the round. Sure it's a shame they have been drawn together, but it answers a fascinating question in its own right. Dabnett is surely now undisputed king of Tharg Current Thrill-menagerie, but which of this two latest do we think best?

Form book - Thrill vanquished to date (in order of round met earliest to latest):

The Out: Zaucer of Zilk; The Order; Jaegir; Low Life
Brink: Mercy Heights; Shako; Taxidermist; Stickleback

Round 6 - or "Round of 16" as folks seem to like to call the last 16 these days (?!?) will feature just one thrill a day. I'd like to pretend this is to give these epic thrills more space and time to be commented on... but really it's to buy myself a bit of extra time to plan what comes next!

To Vote Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Friday 19th August and the winner gets a place in the Quarter Finals.

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

*Important Note - this is done with neither permission, or money changing hands (damnit). Apologies for the former, I also meant to do this much earlier but... well ya know how it is...

NapalmKev

The Out strides boldly into the fray and gives Brink the fat slap it deserves.

The Out!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

abelardsnazz

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

Magnetica

The Out is an instant modern classic and has deservedly received a lot of love in this tournament. But Brink is better.

BTW given there is another Dabnett derby and Lawless is already in play, I can work out what it is.

Funt Solo

The Out is great, but there's an argument that switching to a war story in the second book does a disservice to the hook presented at the end of the first. But I still love it.

I've heard complaints that Brink's talking heads don't forward the plot, but this is incorrect. In each episode, even if there's no shooty blam blam, things have happened and a-forward we are indeed moving. It's a masterful exercise in slow burn comic suspense, and I would say unique in 2000 AD's history.

Both excellent, both with great art that supports the story, both modern classics. Difficult to get a razor between them.

Brink
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

sintec

The Out is superb stuff but if I have to pick one then it's got to be Brink. I was very happy when this got included in the UC.

Barrington Boots

Both really good and a tough choice, but has to be Brink - for reasons elucidated so well by better forum members than me already in this thread. Despite my recent gripes on the spoiler threads, it's a tour de force in suspenful comics.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

AlexF

A cruel choice, but it has to be Brink, if only on the grounds that it has had so much more of a chance to prove itself, and has never been found wanting. The Out has been great, twice, and arguably even more inaginative than Brink, but twice is not as many as five times, not even half as many.

Comparing the two does make me wonder if Dabnett was starting to feel the claustrophobia of Brink himself, and was pushing for an outlet where everything was wide open spaces and freedom of movement. Therapy through writing!

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

the out

(because i want brass sun to return).

IndigoPrime

Oh, come on. I love both of these. But I'm going to give it to The Out, by a whisker.

Timothy

BPP

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd