Main Menu

Dreddverse Map

Started by Funt Solo, 16 January, 2021, 01:59:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Looking forward to the who thing. This is a big thumbs up from me.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Funt Solo

Working on the general principle that "everything published is true, but also - geography", this is my take on Oz...

Based partly on this (from Oz):

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

IndigoPrime

Which begs the question: what the heck happened to Perth? Did the residents just decide they wanted to be an island?

nxylas

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 24 June, 2023, 07:52:56 PMWhich begs the question: what the heck happened to Perth? Did the residents just decide they wanted to be an island?
Atomicwardidit
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Funt Solo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 24 June, 2023, 07:52:56 PMwhat the heck happened to Perth?

The only lore to follow-up on Brendan McCarthy's whimsical map and admit the existence of Perth Island is the Jihad audio drama - but I don't know if it goes into any detail about the how.

My personal space math hypothesis is a combination of over-mining and some kind of atomic wars experimental defensive shield (like the one used by East-Meg One) that had an unfortunate side effect - maybe 'porting all the incoming nukes into a neat line in an already weakened crust.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

Whatever happened, it was obviously Perth-shattering.

I'll get me rad-smock.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

nxylas

Also, what happened to Bananaland on your map?
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Funt Solo

Quote from: nxylas on 24 June, 2023, 10:03:33 PMAlso, what happened to Bananaland on your map?

Option #1: I was modeling my map on the 701 Shamballa map, which doesn't indicate borders.
Option #2: Bananaland (& the Fostaoperahauz*) cross some kind of invisible silly-boundary.
Option #3: It's there, just not labeled.

---

I wasn't sure what to do with Chunder Range* - does it mean a range of hills? A range like rangeland for grazing? Is it a place or a town or a city? Or is it just somewhere that McCarthy boked when he was touring Oz?

*Actually on my vector map, but set to invisible at the moment.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

13school

Putting on my Sydney-Melbourne conurb resident's hat - though going by your map I'm actually just outside of it, as in 121 years Melbourne seems to have expanded 0kms west - it's much more likely (for this particular region's values of "likely") that the bulk of the conurb would largely be along roughly a straight line between Melbourne and Sydney (though more along the coast going towards Sydney), just because all the population centers and transport routes are in roughly a straight line between the two. And if you really wanted to be realistic, the part spreading out from Melbourne would go a lot further north and north-west-ish, just because that's where the people are currently.

So yeah, maybe expand it inland a little.

Funt Solo

Quote from: 13school on 25 June, 2023, 07:15:40 AMSo yeah, maybe expand it inland a little.

I hear ya. Like, we could expand it up into Shepperton, and then include Wangaratta & Albury - connecting us to Canberra (which is currently included). My problem there is that I didn't want the city to encompass the Snowy Mountains. (Also - tempting to nuke Canberra - just for laughs.)

Australians, mountaineering:

Like, MC-1 does contain the Appalachians (which we've never really seen in-strip), but I just thought I should avoid mountain ranges where possible, and I didn't want to make a hole in the Conurb, because it's usually depicted as a whole coastal strip.

Here's my height map underlay, and you can see that I've had the city skirt around the Snowy's:

And this is the night-lights underlay:

I'll play around, though, and fire out some options.

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Just for the sake of interest, these are the source maps:

JD Meg's first world map:

Shamballa map:

Oz map:

Movie map:

Mongoose RPG map:

Recent-ish fan map:

Not sure where this came from map:

Some of them don't actually include Melbourne, or just clip it.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

I made an optionally larger Conurb - inflating around Sydney, Melbourne and Canberra just a little:

Good news for folk in Ballarat, but seems like Bendigo, Shepparton & Wangarata were outside of the defenses when Booth went nuke crazy.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

13school

Yeah, the Great Dividing Range is the big problem - it seems a bit unlikely that my childhood home town of Sale (or Gippsland in general) would make it into the Conurb while an actual population center like Bendigo misses out (and presumably Geelong would get nuked right away, what with having a refinery on the edge of town). But having the Conurb entirely inland doesn't make much sense either

Presumably all the Mega-Cities are just based on the parts that didn't get nuked out, and there's nothing currently on the stretch of coast that the Conurb runs along so it makes sense that the survivors moved there and turned tiny holiday towns like Seaspray into bustling megapolis